• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foster 55J14 (100 missions for Berlin Airlift, Japan, Korea)

bazelot

I just bought the jacket directly from the vet. It is a Foster 55J14 that was issued to him on January 16th 1947. The jacket was made in 1946 then, it must be one of the earliest 55J14 on record. The vet is still alive and it says exactly when it was issued to him in his log book. The jacket was his prize possession and he took great care of it. He always flew with it. The pilot flew 100 missions for the Berlin Airlift (the reason why I bought the jacket in the first place) then he went on to fly all over South East Asia and in 1952 flew supply missions for the Korean war. The vet is still alive and I am getting a lot of info from him. He already sent me pictures of himself wearing the jacket and he will be sending me scans of his log books.
The jacket is in fantastic condition, everything is original and perfectly wearable. For a size 40 it is pretty big (more like a 42 or 44)
I won't be selling this one anytime soon. :)

Pictures of the pilot wearing the actual jacket in Japan and during the Berlin Airlift

Skip

Re: Foster 55J14 (100 missions for Berlin Airlift, Japan, Ko

Nice one bazelot, in stunningly perfect condition.

Interesting on the size, a while ago I had one I sold on, nowhere near as excellent condition as yours, a size 40 fitted more like a 38 though, sleeves and length were just right but the chest to tight to zip up completely.

Enjoy

TankBuster

Neat jacket. Nice to have the pics of the guy that wore it.

dujardin

splendid one, congrats with your catch ;)

ausreenactor

Pretty much a pristine example with provenance. Does not get any better than that in 'JacketWorld'.

Kudos :mrgreen:

Couchy

bebel

Certainly one of the best 55J14 I ever have seen! And with his story... Are you sure that you will not sell it? :D
Franck

Nicest jacket I've seen here or anywhere in quite some time. Big "plus" on being able to converse with the original owner. Well done!

bazelot

Thanks guys, it is really a great jacket with plenty of provenance. I hope i will get the log books soon.

Maverickson

Hi Tom,

Nice combination of jacket and photos! Your new jacket must be an early 55J14.

Those photos really bring it home! After Googling Naval Air Transport Service I found that in 1948 Naval Air Transport Service was renamed to Military Airlift Command (MAC). That fact nicely dates your jacket.

Cheers, Dave

jack aranda

Nice jacket, Tom:
The 55j14 is my favorite of all the iterations of Navy flight jackets, and this one is fantastic! Thank you for the pics.

B-Man2

Great Jacket with a great history.
Can't help but notice the fit of the jacket on the original owner, particularly the sleeve length.
Once again the period photos prove that we as a group are sometimes overly concerned with "the fit" where as the troops took what they were issued and went off to war.

Great find.......

Stony

Nice jacket with provenence. :cool:

It makes me miss my B-G Inc. :(

Peter Graham

Beautiful jacket Tom. It looks nearly identical to the Foster AN-J-3A that I owned till very recently.