• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

forum patch

DiamondDave

Another thought.... This one based on the vaunted 434th Fighter Squadron's unofficial patch, from later in the war. The squadron had transitioned from the P-38 lightning and wanted the new patch to show the mustang! This was the patch as would have been worn by BG Robin Olds during his time with the squadron. The motto has been kept in the new version because I think that it speaks to what we do.... Tutor Et Ultor (Protector and Defender) of the jackets and their history.

434th Official Patch:
434.gif

434th Unofficial Patch:
434later.jpg

So, here are the VLJ offerings:

First if you are a lover of the horse...
VLJ-11Horse.jpg

and if you prefer the goat....
VLJ-11Goat.jpg

Ciao for now,

DD

watchmanjimg

I like the unofficial 434th design as a starting point, especially the version with the horse/goat combo. Perhaps "VLJ" can be substituted for the "J" at the corners, or the full "Vintage Leather Jackets" script emblazoned between the two heads?

Zoomer's and Andrew's are also among my favorites, although a more exaggerated impression of rigor mortis would make it better still. :lol:

jack aranda

Oh, yeah! Dave, that patch is smoking! :cool: :cool: Either way, horse or goat, though that goat is so strong a presence I'd favor it on top. The design is bold, clean, straight up. The colors are terriffic. Did I mention that I like it? ;)

Atticus

Paul (Havocpaul) once drew a cartoon that might make a good VLJ forum patch. It showed a fatish, oldish, baldish guy trying on his new, high-end, reproduction A-2 in front of a full-length mirror. Reflected back in the mirror was the image of a young, trim Steve McQueen wearing khakis and his Great Escape original re-dye.

Just a suggestion. :cool:

AF

DiamondDave

watchmanjimg said:
I like the unofficial 434th design as a starting point, especially the version with the horse/goat combo. Perhaps "VLJ" can be substituted for the "J" at the corners, or the full "Vintage Leather Jackets" script emblazoned between the two heads?

I have thought about this too... but begs the question, Isn't the patch for "US" anyway... does it need to say VLJ?

Guess there are two schools of thought here... one says "we know who we are, and recognize our own brand of illness"

and the other would be "we want more/new, members to make us feel better about being fanatics"s o why not advertise it.

Somehow, I seriously doubt that we will ever get an official patch done anyway, as most of us have differing tastes.. thank the Gods!

Ciao for now,
DD

jack31916

Well, I also gave it a try....

It's a more simple forumpatch and I've used the classic design and colors of the WW 2 V-matchbook and added the characters L an J. V for Victory (in this case Vintage). I'm thinking of adding 3 airplane (front) silhouetes in between the legs of the V....

I need to give it a second layer of paint as it was still "sticky" when placed on my 20 years old and abused Sefton jacket

DSC01194.jpg

deand

As others have, here's a design to consider, a modification of a presently used emblem from my favorite unit emblem, the 9th Bomb Squadron:

As it is:

KGrHqQOKnME1UQLn7WBNgmt2smSw0_12.jpg

As I modified it, adding an A-2 to the blond, and modifying "Cloud Nine" out, putting in "VLJ". I'm not good at lettering with MSpaint. Maybe one of our accomplished patch artists could use this as a springboard for a better treatment:

KGrHqQOKnME1UQLn7WBNgmt2smSw0_1.jpg

dean

jack aranda

deand and jack31916, I like both of your ideas. The number and variety of these creative ideas are making it harder and harder to pick one and stick with it. But, life should always be full of such hard choices. Thanks, gents.

alcon

What about a non-whimsical patch which seriously salutes all the men and women aviators of WWI and WWII? The design of this patch would certainly be a worthwhile challenge to interested members. I would purchase this type of patch for one of my repro A-2s. Anybody up to the challenge? :cool: