• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

forum patch

SuinBruin

An idea popped into my head after looking at the NAA patch shown in bombs away's thread in the Photo Gallery... with all of the talented artists on the forum, maybe someone could come up with a VLJ patch for those of us on the forum. Not necessarily to go on a jacket, but just a cool token for those of us so afflicted with jacket-itis that we spend our free (or not so free) time here. One idea could be something like the NAA patch but with "VLJ" in place of "NAA," and with something funny in place of the bird logo.

Just a thought....

Andrew

I like the idea. A similar one came up a couple of years ago when it was suggested "The Dead Horse Society" could do with a t shirt with appropriate logo. I reckon the patch is even better.

Ties??

Tim P

OK. I am quite creative in that respect and I bet that many others are too.
So why not set some parameters.
First off, a 5 inch round leather patch seems like a good start, left plain as a background like the skull and crossed bombs patch of the 511th? or a nice backdrop of a primary colour..
then an emblem that would, if anyone were of a mind to do so, look ok on a jacket.
how about a female form in silhouette but clearly wearing a flight jacket or maybe varga style. riding a bomb? A stylised VLJ lettering somewhere maybe? jacketeers?
a cartoon of a goat or a horse being chased by yosemite sam with a knife?

dmar836

Tim, That sounds cool.
Here's my idea.
deadhorse.jpg

LOL.
Seriously, I wonder if there was "competition" on bases about the squadron artist? Was he offended when someone showed up with a theater made patch he didn't paint?
What if someone thought he could better him or was jealous he was making a side profit?

I'm hardly an artist, but I'll throw my hat in for fun.

Dave

That's a darned good idea, I'd say!

A wartime jacket-style forum patch... I'm in.

(Not as an artist mind you, but I mean I'm on board with the idea and would probably pay to have one if the design looked cool.) :lol:

SuinBruin

I guess one way to do it would be to invite people to submit designs and then have the forum vote on one... but that asks the artists to invest time and effort that might not yield anything concrete, and risks hurt feelings.

Maybe another way of doing it is to have all interested artists agree to collaborate on a design so that they all have input.

Or we could have each artist pick one era of flight to base their design on, and then anyone who wants to buy one can choose which one he likes best (or buy more than one). Pre-war (30s), wartime (40s), Korea (50s), Vietnam, (60s), post-Vietnam (to present). But that might be too diffuse an approach...?

I guess I'd ask the artists who were interested in contributing to say how they might want to choose one design, if there's more than one artist interested.

I'd definitely buy one, if it comes to pass....

ghq1

GREAT IDEA! Over on a watch related forum someone, perhaps the owner, put forth a pretty cool patch as shown below. Seems like every forum should have one! I think the owner was Navy so perhaps that's why the G-1 on the bulldog. "117" is the date established I think - Jan 17th.

watchdog.jpg

TankBuster

I like the idea. I would definitely buy one if it looked cool and was done right. I think a WW2 era style patch would be ideal considering the forum is 90% A-2 jacket fanatics! JMO

ties70

I still like the idea of the "Dead Horse Society"...

Could see an angry Donald Duck in flight gear, riding a horse skeleton....maybe attacking in a 45° angle downwards, throwing a bolt ;-)

Ties

SuinBruin

oldskoolonly said:
Here's my Entry into the barrel..... :D

001.jpg
Love it! But instead of wielding a lightning bolt shouldn't Goofy be typing on a keyboard while squinting at the stitch details of an original 1940 Aero? And are those selvage pants he's wearing? :lol:

There's been some great ideas posted here... any more artists want to weigh in? And anyone have any thoughts on how we choose a design?

SuinBruin said:
Love it! But instead of wielding a lightning bolt shouldn't Goofy be typing on a keyboard while squinting at the stitch details of an original 1940 Aero?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: