• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forum and Ebay ettiquette.

ausreenactor

Kept the tone to my morning disappointment at one auction quite civil. Then spied the second auction? Some recent jackets highlighted on the forum, for sale on eBay, have fallen off the wayside, no doubt to off-eBay offers. Obviously by someone trying to save his/her wallet from some hurt and secure the jacket. Should there be a stipulation that if someone posts a link to their own sale that they have an obligation to let that auction run its course. If you want to abuse the eBay site, do so without advertising it here. Just my opinion. I covered this some years ago. I spend a lot of time and money on eBay and I take it seriously. It is buying season with the dollar near parity. If you have ethics, let the supply vs demand market dictate the price. Or use a reserve to set your price. THEN when the item has not sold, go nuts accept your offers. But if someone has a bid on, you have agreed to sell it at any realised price. Semi-rant, but the attitudes of a few are stuffing it for the rest of the world. Literally. Not just the forum members who shape their bids and potential spending to suit.

Very affronted Couchy.

RCSignals

I agree. If an auction is announced here and it is an auction only, it would be best to let it run it's course. If a certain price is the goal set a reserve or BIN and maybe a Best Offer.
I know some Members offer an item here first, then go to an auction if there is no clear interest. That is a nice courtesy.

asiamiles

I don't agree. That's just discouraging people from offering items to members here first, which is what I like to do. I've just pulled 2 jackets from eBay and sold them privately saving myself the eBay fees, which have become increasingly high, as well as the Paypal fees. I think it is no longer a given that items listed on eBay are being offered for sale only on eBay, so I don't have the problem with this practice that I admittedly used to think was wrong. I have to say I wouldn't cancel an auction that had bids, and I think it would good if eBay could stop this...it would also encourage people to bid earlier, letting sellers know that there was interest in their goods.

RCSignals

Miles I don't think offering items here first, then taking it to auction is being discouraged.
Ending an auction early that has no bids in favor of a private sale may be a different thing. But even you seem to agree ending an auction with bids to take a private offer is not desirable.

I do agree with you that eBay needs some reform, but that is a different issue.

asiamiles

RCSignals said:
But even you seem to agree ending an auction with bids to take a private offer is not desirable.
Yes, it's not something I would do...unless that offer was from the bidder! :D

ausreenactor

asiamiles said:
I've just pulled 2 jackets from eBay and sold them privately saving myself the eBay fees, which have become increasingly high, as well as the Paypal fees. I think it is no longer a given that items listed on eBay are being offered for sale only on eBay, so I don't have the problem with this practice that I admittedly used to think was wrong. I have to say I wouldn't cancel an auction that had bids, and I think it would good if eBay could stop this...it would also encourage people to bid earlier, letting sellers know that there was interest in their goods.

If you are not willing to pay the eBay fees, then why list with eBay? I acknowledge that you offer the jackets here first(more often than not at a reduced price :) ) and then put them on eBay, but once again your higher price would offset the fees and your 'earn' would be the same. And I assume your pulled items are being paid for with Paypal anyway? So your morals have been corrupted by a few dollars at a time? If you want quick bids hazard a three day auction. A week allows two weekends of visibility if you time it right and is statistically the best manner in which to sell.

Couchy

asiamiles

ausreenactor said:
If you are not willing to pay the eBay fees, then why list with eBay?
Not a case being "not willing" - simply that if I can save $30 or $40, then it would stupid not to.
And I assume your pulled items are being paid for with Paypal anyway?
Private transactions can be paid for by personal payments, thus avoiding Paypal fees.
So your morals have been corrupted by a few dollars at a time?
I seriously do not believe that canceling an eBay auction is in any way corrupting my morals!

dadgad

since I'm responsible for this outburst but I do not believe to be the first nor the last to do so, I want to point out that, believe it or not, that although by now I have sold a dozen jackets on ebay, this was the first ever auction that I broke even though almost all the other times I have had requests for sales outside the auction and if I did it yesterday is because the offer was very consistent and I was in the urgency to conclude the sale.
I recently sold some 15 other objects not related to jackets collecting and for almost all of them I have received direct offers but I let the auction run its course, always.
In all honesty I think this problem is blown out of proportion but again it still remains a my personal opinion.

ausreenactor

Wait until the day when you get hosed over by someone on the forum and see how you react. Your sensitivities may be put into a different perspective. Lots of PMs supporting my stand. I shall sleep soundly with the support of my peers.

Couchy

dadgad

ausreenactor said:
Wait until the day when you get hosed over by someone on the forum and see how you react. Your sensitivities may be put into a different perspective. Lots of PMs supporting my stand. I shall sleep soundly with the support of my peers.

Couchy

Dear Couchy, it happened, the very first week I got into this forum some years ago a renowned member offered here a seal brown Goatskin Aero A2 with rust knits, I don't remember if it was a set sale but I remember clearly that I made my offer and I asked the seller to keep it on hold for me for a couple of days, he did it but when I prompted and asked for his paypal adress he came back telling me that the jacket was sold to another member.
You know what, nobody knows on this forum about this unfair behaviour and who was responsible for it because I discussed the problem privately with him, firmly but with serenity as men do.

I am a straight man, I will be 43 next week, I manage 15 people at work and I have a military education since I was part of the Airborne Division in The Meritorious Corps of Arma Dei Carabinieri if you know what that means.

I don't need any peer supporting me.

Cobblers161

Not this again!!!!

For the record I'm behind Dadgad on this.

It's only the sale of a jacket it's not as if you have rights to it or it's yours already. Yeh it's a disappointment when something's pulled, it's happened to me a few times, but you pick yourself up, forget about it and look again. In these hard times I would happily take an offer and avoid the fees and I don't believe morals come into it for a second, the only thing that comes into question is the extent of some people obsessive materialism (not pointing the finger at anyone btw).

Oh, and it is not a legal contract before that one is mentioned.

ausreenactor

"For the record I'm behind Dadgad on this. " Of course you are.

And behind what exactly? The posting of the eBay listing here and on the Fedora Lounge, and then the result? Or the pulling of an eBay listing only? My concern and the follow on post refer to coming into the forum, a warm cozy place where like minded gentlemen discuss the ins and outs of all things jacket, and then playing what is akin to a big practical joke. As the current high bidder on the jacket I feel that I had an implied priority over the future home of the jacket, certainly over a lowballer with no perceived ethics. No doubt someone who was not prepared to duke it out in a bidding war. I would think that the same individual has a similar feeling at public urinals. Too intimidated to 'hang out' with the big boys. Werber is gone, so be it. I am sure ELC will not run out of Hookless zippers. I was purely trying to eliminate the potential for a similar event occuring in the future, or minimise it. Credibility is issued in thimbles and taken away in buckets. If no one cares or comments what do we have to baseline future transactions on. 'PM Sent' would not be sacred. 'PM Sent with offer of $525' should replace it. So that other forum members can jump the queue with a better offer? If the erosion of behaviour, driven by the gain of a pineapple (Aussie $50 - Hawaii 50), is tolerated then what becomes the benchmark. If you even remotely support the lowering of standards then I am a little disappointed. If you are inclined to save yourself $30-$40 and pull a listing that is fine. Just don't offer a jacket to the forum where you are sure to attract bids from those you communicate with on an almost daily basis.

1700 eBay transactions under my belt! I know boats!

dadgad

ausreenactor said:
My concern and the follow on post refer to coming into the forum, a warm cozy place where like minded gentlemen discuss the ins and outs of all things jacket...

go read my previous post and what my first impact with this forum and one of its most renowned member was.

Now looks like I am "the one" to blame for everyone's guilt.

A

Anonymous

If you post something for sale on this site, and come to an transactional agreement, I think both parties are responsible. The seller, making sure the item is being held until agreed payment terms are met. The buyer, making sure the agreed apon payment terms are met.

RCSignals

chitchat said:
If you post something for sale on this site, and come to an transactional agreement, I think both parties are responsible. The seller, making sure the item is being held until agreed payment terms are met. The buyer, making sure the agreed apon payment terms are met.

This is true, but what if what is posted is first a link to the item listed on eBay? Such would seem to be an invitation to participate in bidding for it, perhaps. Should the expectation be to be able to continue to bid for the item on eBay, or through pms from here?

Cobblers161

RCSignals said:
Cobblers161 said:
Couchy relax, it's only a jacket! ;)

It isn't the jacket he's referring about.

Try a sense of humour, it works wonders for the soul and prevents one getting uptight over a jacket. Don't try and turn it into an enormous issue involving ethics and morals, you're just overcomplicating it. Some guy/gal either had a change of heart( i've pulled listings for exactly that reason) or had an offer they couldn't refuse. There is nothing more sinister at work and I am sure their moral code is not diminshed because they pulled an auction on ebay. As we say up North 'Get a grip man', there are far more serious issues in existance that are a perfect indication of one's ethics, selling a flipping jacket is not one of them!

RCSignals

Cobblers161 said:
RCSignals said:
Cobblers161 said:
Couchy relax, it's only a jacket! ;)

It isn't the jacket he's referring about.

Try a sense of humour, it works wonders for the soul and prevents one getting uptight over a jacket. Don't try and turn it into an enormous issue involving ethics and morals, you're just overcomplicating it. Some guy/gal either had a change of heart( i've pulled listings for exactly that reason) or had an offer they couldn't refuse. There is nothing more sinister at work and I am sure their moral code is not diminshed because they pulled an auction on ebay. As we say up North 'Get a grip man', there are far more serious issues in existance that are a perfect indication of one's ethics, selling a flipping jacket is not one of them!

Have no fear, my sense of humor is fully intact.

I'll let Couchy speak for himself, but I still have suspicion it has little to do with the jacket. Mind?

Cobblers161

Sorry RC, just reread my post and it comes across a tad harsh, that wasn't my intention! :oops:

I can see his point to an extent I just don't think the auction issue is that important and it certainly has nothing to do with honour/ethics/morals etc... It's all a little ott for me.