• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For all you rock n' rollers

Nickb123

I had Johnny (EMBLEMHUNTER) do this for me. Greatest band in the world!
image_zps1c142f56.jpg

Nickb123

ausreenactor said:
Those are the Hawaiian islands right?

Yup. They have an album called "Hawaii Five-O". I tried to replicate the colors from the album cover. The orange in the photo is a bit browner in person.

a2jacketpatches

Checked out a few videos and it brought back some memories, good stuff. As a kid I was hearing the Ventjres all the time and didn't even know it.

Nickb123

a2jacketpatches said:
Checked out a few videos and it brought back some memories, good stuff. As a kid I was hearing the Ventjres all the time and didn't even know it.

They were a big influence on surf music. A lot of surf bands covered their stuff, up until today! People associate them as a surf band, when they were actually an instrumental group covering hits of the day (though they wrote and performed a lot of surf material)...surf music was only second to Motown in America prior to the British Invasion. They had a HUGE influence in Japan when they first played there in 1962. The r&b vocal format of the Beatles didn't stick as much as the guitar-based non language barrier Ventures. In fact, the Ventures outsold them in Japan 2:1 in the 60s!

Here's an interesting essay:
http://www.academia.edu/888449/Outselli ... _the_1960s

shedonwanna

They recorded the theme song from Hawaii-Five-O. One of the few shows my dad watched. I can still here him: "Look at that cotton pick'n wave." Morton Stevens the composer of the music also did the theme for The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and The Wild, Wild West. Throw back Thursday to my high school years. Here is the Ventures version:

Ventures Hawaii-Five-O theme song