• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flying Tigers (1942) and No M422a

Teddy

Just finished watching John Wayne's Flying Tigers. Really enjoyed it. But I only saw A-2 jackets and some other civilian ones and the original photos show a mixture of A-2's and M422a's. So does anyone know why the film did not feature any M422a jackets? Thanks!

Persimmon

It’s a Hollywood film and with that they were working to a set budget for quick patriotic films to be released to bolster the public.
They would put on to the actors any leather type jackets etc they had. I am sure they were not worrying overly about authenticity or worse jacket geeks like us that would be checking 75 years later.

Teddy

@Persimmon Alan, thanks a lot for the explanation. I heard a while back that there might be a new movie about AVG. If it'd be actually released, hopefully it does a better job in the plot and the costumes.

dmar836

Of all the popular WWII -made movies, and there are some good ones, Flying Tigers is one of the worst IMO.
Props("P-40s"), uniforms, support acting - just all really low end.
Dave

raulm1961

Hi Nkang. I wish I could remember where or when reading that even AVG pilots hated this movie and J. Wayne's performance as a joke. It is really bad. Nkang if you want to see a good ww2 movie that was made during the war then watch: 30 Seconds Over Tokyo. You can rent it on youtube. And if you do don't pay attention to the jackets. Focus on the story instead because those guys knew they were going on a suicide mission. Very brave guys. Another movie that I'm pretty sure you will like is: Fighter Squadron. Made after the war (1948 i think) and in beautiful Technicolor. Starring the late great but very young Robert Stack. Very corny though, as most movies were back in the 40's. You'll like this one 'cause you'll get to see:A2's, B 10's, B3's, field jackets(not sure if they are m41 or m43's), even an A2 with a blood chit on it. And what's better is you can watch it for free. Just checked and it's still free on youtube. Another thing about this movie is for enemy fighters P 51's were used as Me. 109's.

Brettafett

Also 'The War Lover'...

I have read John Woo is making a Flying Tiger Heroes movie, apparently it may come as a mini series... But who knows... based on his other movies, expect explosions, slow motion explosions and lots of action. How this will translate into a movie about the AVG...? Heres hoping.

Brettafett

Its a shame, the AVG story would make a cracking film or HBO series. Come on Spielberg and Hanks!
A good WW2 film featuring aviation can be done... See 'Dark Blue World'. Classic story and aerial sequences very well done.
Soon to be released 'Hurricane', about 303 squadron... Will have some aerial battle sequences no doubt... I hope its well done.

Thomas Koehle

although i`m a fan of Steve McQueen didn`t like "War Lover" that much ...

Anyway worth to watch coz of the garment and equipment

dmar836

I don't necessarily think authenticity wasn't an issue. 12 O'Clock High was post war but many Army and Navy pictures use proper equipment and uniforms even in 1943. I didn't think War Lover was very good considering the actors were so much better in other pictures.
Maybe John Wayne ruined things - The Longest Day had a lot of issues as well.
JMO,
Dave

Brettafett

Seeing as we are on topic, anyone watched 'The Thousand Plane Raid'? I have not seen it, but have seen some cool pics of A-2s being worn...
Thirty Seconds to Tokyo was good. Thats another film that would be a great remake (not like Pearl Harbor ;)
I think one of the best WW2 films featuring A-2 jackets must be 'Catch 22'.

johnwayne

After some of those comments I think I better change my avatar! Critiquing films made so long is maybe a tad unfair given where technology is today compared to what is was then and I'm sure our views might not be so critical back in the day. Battle of Britain is a prime example whereby 'we' all know the Me109's and He111's were arguably Spanish copies but they were better in my view that CGI versions! Whatever your view on Redtails, I thought the GW and ELC jackets excellent but did Joe Public know any different, no, much like the watchers back then.

MikeyB-17

Don’t forget the much underrated ‘The way to the stars’, B-17s plus rarities like Ansons. But if you want to see lots of AAF jackets in a film, ‘The Thing from another world’ is the place to go.

Brettafett

Nice call Mikey, will check those out.
I enjoyed retails, watching it with a pinch of salt...cringing at the corny dialogue... jackets were awesome.

Grant

Another great A-2/B3, USN jacket movie is Islands In The Sky directed by William Wellman. Also some beautiful aerial shooting of C-47's in northern Canada.

johnwayne

Surely Catch 22 is the movie for A2's. Watched 'Way to the Stars' fairly recently as it happens, very 'awfully, awfully' Brit accents coupled with typical of the day American 'drawl' and gung-ho attitude. Seem to recall the A2 of the main character pretty poor whereas the B3's and Irvins pretty real!