• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flying Legends 2011 New Eastman Jackets on view

Monsoon

RCSignals said:
G+B jackets are fine, as long as you remember that to get a good fit you have to go down in size, in some cases almost four sizes (at least with the current offerings. Older flight suits brand and older made G+B may have different fit).

I just got a G&B earlier this year, and the sizing was spot on.

RCSignals

Monsoon said:
RCSignals said:
G+B jackets are fine, as long as you remember that to get a good fit you have to go down in size, in some cases almost four sizes (at least with the current offerings. Older flight suits brand and older made G+B may have different fit).

I just got a G&B earlier this year, and the sizing was spot on.

Many people don't have that experience with them. Even G+B states (when you correspond with them about sizing, not on the site) their patterns are cut 'generous'

Glad yours works though.

Ian C

Hi all,

I know it's digressing a bit but if I want an English warbow made from Italian Alpine yew it's going to set me back £750-800. Much as I like them, it's just a stick with some cow horn on the tips. The thing is it's the right timber and it's scarce and there's more work in it to get it working properley than people realise. It's the same with Eastman-if you want it, it's going to cost. As someone else rightly said, you could source some piece of crap from a designer label and it'll cost far more.
My point is is that if you want it you'll find a way to get it. I'd like a Warhorse leather A2 but then again I'd like a Good Wear but don't fancy the wait. My main problem is I've got to many hobbies and not enough time or money to do either justice.

Ian

bobbyball

Having seen this jacket up close at Duxford I do think it is the best Eastman so far. Not withstanding the fact I would not buy a badged up jacket to wear, I think for those who are really into unit history it will be a mouthwatering temptation.

As to cost, how many of us have had two or even three jackets that we don't wear or like any more. One way of looking at this is that it is less than the price of two 'ordinary' ELC jackets and looks ten times better IMO. For someone looking at the ultimate repros there are only two candidates out there – Goodwear and Eastman and Gary is now offering something that Goodwear don’t – a very authentic looking timeworn jacket. It's called choice and I think is great news for the repro business.

I think the timeworn process has been really perfected on this jacket and is IMO noticeably more convincing than before. The patches are truly incredible. I have an original CBI jacket with leather patches and the CBI shield and wings are very very accurate to the originals. Admittedly, I have not seen an original Tiger patch but this is a real work of art also and looks to be spot on.

At the end of the day, Eastman are a business and you have to ask yourself would they seriously spend all this time and effort on a jacket (with the promise of more units to come) and then price it completely out of the market? None of these high end badged repros are 'cheap'; and I do think given the process and the patches, this is not an unnaceptable pricing point to some enthusiasts (and it will only be a few) out there. If you look at some of the Japanese makers these are more expensive – the Buzz Rickson 23rd fighter group A-2 is 144,900 Yen which is £1,135.00 (plus shipping and, if you could actually get one, just look at it!! ;)

http://bp-catalog.com/book/catalog.php? ... d=yhk10123

This ELC Roughwear is,after all, a very special production over and above their normal product line and so I think it should be viewed as such?

rich

Persimmon said:
Still even if it did not I would still have to wear a poorer version for three years in your example and suffer !!

Good point! Although some of the HWT the guys have done here on new jackets looks excellent to me.

rich

bobbyball said:
Having seen this jacket up close at Duxford I do think it is the best Eastman so far. Not withstanding the fact I would not buy a badged up jacket to wear, I think for those who are really into unit history it will be a mouthwatering temptation.

As to cost, how many of us have had two or even three jackets that we don't wear or like any more. One way of looking at this is that it is less than the price of two 'ordinary' ELC jackets and looks ten times better IMO. For someone looking at the ultimate repros there are only two candidates out there – Goodwear and Eastman and Gary is now offering something that Goodwear don’t – a very authentic looking timeworn jacket. It's called choice and I think is great news for the repro business.

I think the timeworn process has been really perfected on this jacket and is IMO noticeably more convincing than before. The patches are truly incredible. I have an original CBI jacket with leather patches and the CBI shield and wings are very very accurate to the originals. Admittedly, I have not seen an original Tiger patch but this is a real work of art also and looks to be spot on.

At the end of the day, Eastman are a business and you have to ask yourself would they seriously spend all this time and effort on a jacket (with the promise of more units to come) and then price it completely out of the market? None of these high end badged repros are 'cheap'; and I do think given the process and the patches, this is not an unnaceptable pricing point to some enthusiasts (and it will only be a few) out there. If you look at some of the Japanese makers these are more expensive – the Buzz Rickson 23rd fighter group A-2 is 144,900 Yen which is £1,135.00 (plus shipping and, if you could actually get one, just look at it!! ;)

http://bp-catalog.com/book/catalog.php? ... d=yhk10123

This ELC Roughwear is,after all, a very special production over and above their normal product line and so I think it should be viewed as such?

Good post Bobbyball. But I won't be tempted ........ I think there are quite a few better ways for me and my £950 to part company. Is it priced out of the market? Well, if you still have a mortgage and kids living at home, I suspect it probably is! :D
But I wouldn't pretend to understand market forces - Woolworths went bust, but Harrods is still there..............

Persimmon

rich said:
Persimmon said:
Still even if it did not I would still have to wear a poorer version for three years in your example and suffer !!

Good point! Although some of the HWT the guys have done here on new jackets looks excellent to me.

Rich,
I have done HWT and from my results the better the quality of the leather the better the end result.

bobbyball

Persimmon said:
rich said:
Persimmon said:

Rich,
I have done HWT and from my results the better the quality of the leather the better the end result.

I have always avoided HWT as I believe it could cause long-term weakening of the leather (plus I am so unpractical I would probably balls it up :lol: ). I may well be wrong but surely natural wear and ageing with natural moisture (sweat and weather) is better than doing this to a jacket? Alan's A-1 looks superb and the patina has been achieved through wear and patience.

johnwayne

Blimey this thread is long-en! But a good one too
Ultimately, you either like 'em enough to pay the price or not - its an individuals choice and will be interesting to see just how these pricey jackets sell.
As Bobbyball says, wearing a patched jacket not for all - must admit I've a nicely patched earlyELC 1401 - 12thAF, 320th FG, 319th FS (circa 1944, Foggia, Italy) being the famed ‘Checkertail Clan’ - it has an embroidered slightly aged chest patch, tooled leather wings/name tag that I think is the name of a pilot who flew with 319th and also the correct tooled leather s/patches - it looks fantastic but, I dont wear it!!
I've 'teetered' on whether to sell it loads of time but all its doing is haniging in the wardrobe (and 'er indoors, for whatever reason, doesnt like me wearing it either) it so it probably will go but whilst I love the 'heraldic' element to such A2's to the point that I see them almost as works of art, I've always felt so concious wearing it!!!
Personally, I still couldn't justify paying so much for a repro no matter how good it is, irrespective of whether of not I could afford it.
cheers
Wayne
PS maybe I should frame my 1401 and hang it on the wall or, sell the wife!!!!

Persimmon

johnwayne said:
Blimey this thread is long-en! But a good one too
Ultimately, you either like 'em enough to pay the price or not - its an individuals choice and will be interesting to see just how these pricey jackets sell.
As Bobbyball says, wearing a patched jacket not for all - must admit I've a nicely patched earlyELC 1401 - 12thAF, 320th FG, 319th FS (circa 1944, Foggia, Italy) being the famed ‘Checkertail Clan’ - it has an embroidered slightly aged chest patch, tooled leather wings/name tag that I think is the name of a pilot who flew with 319th and also the correct tooled leather s/patches - it looks fantastic but, I dont wear it!!
I've 'teetered' on whether to sell it loads of time but all its doing is haniging in the wardrobe (and 'er indoors, for whatever reason, doesnt like me wearing it either) it so it probably will go but whilst I love the 'heraldic' element to such A2's to the point that I see them almost as works of art, I've always felt so concious wearing it!!!
Personally, I still couldn't justify paying so much for a repro no matter how good it is, irrespective of whether of not I could afford it.
cheers
Wayne
PS maybe I should frame my 1401 and hang it on the wall or, sell the wife!!!!

Wayne,
Maybe you should sell the 1401.
What size is it by chance ?

I don't think the wife would welcome being sold
Still what size is she !!!!!!!

(You know I mean well here I hope )

bobbyball

[quote=" PS maybe I should frame my 1401 and hang it on the wall or, sell the wife!!!![/quote]

How much do you think you would get for her? I thought hiding jackets in the car would work but she has a spare set of keys :lol:

Roughwear

This new ELC CBI jacket is one of the nicest repros I have seen. It looked even better in the Eastman shop on Saturday. However as I only wear plain originals and repros out and about, I would hardly get any wear out of this jacket apart from at air shows and I have enough badged originals to wear to them!

Marv

Roughwear said:
This new ELC CBI jacket is one of the nicest repros I have seen. It looked even better in the Eastman shop on Saturday. However as I only wear plain originals and repros out and about, I would hardly get any wear out of this jacket apart from at air shows and I have enough badged originals to wear to them!

I most definately agree with Andrew, when I first saw the jacket at the ELC stand at Duxford I thought it was an original it was that well done and was most impressed when learned it was a new repro.

However, I am the same as Andrew in the fact I don't have or wear marked A2s only plain plus the cost at nearly £1K would put this out of my price bracket at the moment.

Very, very nice jacket though and I hope it takes off for Eastmans and that they then introduce another elite group jacket to their stable which would be interesting.

JDAM

To avoid neck-ache: Rotate images counter-clockwise 90 degrees (or were you laying down?)

Anyway, sweet looking jacket and patch.

Dr H

bobbyball said:
Alan's A-1 looks superb and the patina has been achieved through wear and patience.

Superb indeed, but a fair measure of HWT as he gave me the 'recipe' ;)

CBI

Patches aside which are excellent, the jacket does look like a winner however I wonder about the high dollar price on these aged jackets vs. naturally aged ELC's that can be had on eBay in the $400 range. Used Eastman A-2's don't command a very high price right now so how/why is it that folks are shelling out lots of money for ............... a used (but new) ELC.

Again, I think the overall jacket looks great. I also see a disconnect here a little bit.

As mentioned before - at these prices, one could keep an eye open for an original, refurbish it a little, etc.

Nuff Said - ELC does get high marks for making changes and catering to the market. I hope they are successful, I really do ...............

dujardin

wowww what a nice discussion

this jacket looks great.

now, talking about price....
just remember it's a business, and as i use to say; the seller make the price.
if no one buy a jacket at this price, it will finally go down.
if seller continue to buy, price will increase

simply offer and demand

for this range of price, i prefer to buy original

thanks for the report

marcel