• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flying Legends 2011 New Eastman Jackets on view

John Lever

From my many discussions with Rob Brace, I have been told that the distressed finish jackets are the most popular, as are many makes of jeans where they are pre-worn.
Has any one noticed that the upper sleeves on B-3's have the same seam configuration as on the RAF jacket ? [ seam across the deltoid muscle]On worn jackets the seam wears a line across the horsehide facing, the whole arm shape is almost identical on both jackets.

bobbyball

I think Alan’s pics are pretty good and having seen the jacket in the flesh are pretty representative.

A lot of work has gone into this and so it was always going to be a significant hike on the plain warhorse. Certainly not for me, but for those really into this unit and the CBI, it will really appeal - it will be interesting to see what further unit jackets Gary comes up with – I personally would love to see an 8th AF jacket, but there are so many to choose from it would be a tricky guess as to what it might be.

The patches are superbly done and they are stitched extremely well. Certainly a repro collector's piece. The Buzz Rickson badged up stuff is not a patch on this and always looks a little Disney for me.

Don't think the whistle is included though ;) ;)

Persimmon

horseback leader said:
Alan

Did you get the impression from ELC that they will replace the regular a1 with the .50cal or have it as a second option?

Dan

Dan
Just an added extra to the range of A 1's
Certainly not one for the other

And thank god too as the original is still superb

A

Anonymous

bobbyball said:
I think Alan’s pics are pretty good and having seen the jacket in the flesh are pretty representative.

A lot of work has gone into this and so it was always going to be a significant hike on the plain warhorse. Certainly not for me, but for those really into this unit and the CBI, it will really appeal - it will be interesting to see what further unit jackets Gary comes up with – I personally would love to see an 8th AF jacket, but there are so many to choose from it would be a tricky guess as to what it might be.

The patches are superbly done and they are stitched extremely well. Certainly a repro collector's piece. The Buzz Rickson badged up stuff is not a patch on this and always looks a little Disney for me.

Don't think the whistle is included though ;) ;)
Agreed, patches from the Few and Buzz are beautifully done, but to perfect as if manufactured by Disney.

A

Anonymous

The distressed ELC with the 23rd looks fantastic. The combination could not be reproduced better.

Tim P

I reluctantly agree. The distressing process and less fussy grains currently in vogue with Eastman are just getting better but the pricing has gone from
Reassuringly expensive through
More than I would like to pay to
More than I am able to pay.
Thus I am able to simply drool at their latest offerings. I certainly don't doubt that they are worth the money but I have to throw the towel in now and look for suitable offerings on the second hand Market.

John Lever

I think they may be about to reach the tipping point where many enthusiasts just stop buying their jackets. £400 was just affordable at a stretch, over £600 and you are talking about a weeks holiday in Southern Italy.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
... over £600 and you are talking about a weeks holiday in Southern Italy.

Well yeah, but a few years down the track, when the holiday's a distant memory ... that jacket's just starting to break in nicely. ;)

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Just checked the ELC site, and the RW B-3 is now £700

With the rising price materials there may be justification for this price rise, but it is putting the jacket out of the reach of many people.

rich

Roughwear said:
With the rising price materials there may be justification for this price rise, but it is putting the jacket out of the reach of many people.

Also Andrew, I feel there comes a point where you might feel it is simply not worth it, regardless of the individuals spending power. (I'm never going to pay £25 for a bottle of wine - I could, but I won't..............)

johnwayne

With prices going up steadily in the recent past to what they are now I can't justify in my head buying new - OK for those of us fortunate to have been 'into' jackets for some time and have a few between us maybe the need is not so great but at the cost they now are it would bug me to get one and it not be 'perfect' and there's a high chance of that! What I mean is, it might be a perfectly good well made lovely jacket but as we know, it really is luck to get 'the one we'll keep forever' because of how much we like it and a fit like it was tailored for you and you alone.
I know we've had the discussion about the 'true cost' of making a jacket but even with higher leather costs etc etc (and let's not forget ELC are in business to make a profit) I still think the mark up/profit margin must be fantastic?? I do think ELC prices are now too high - IMO!!
ELC's BR chambray shirts are £99 yet can be bought for £80 elsewhere and I recently commented on ELC storage box that I think is exhorbitant plus Ive just bought a Ball Cap that at £60 is very high (yes I paid it I know) - the quality is 'OK' albeit it's quite 'limp' but as someone with numerous baseball style caps I certainly think £60 is way more than it should be for what really is no better than say New Era cap (which I accept is made in larger quantities).

Again as has been said, Gary is obviously selling jackets in sufficient quantities to believe they are prices people will pay and clearly do. Lastly please let me say this is not a presonal pop at ELC even though it may sound like it - I really do like what they've done and do, I just find the pricing a bit crazy and it would make me lean more toward Goodwear, even with the wait, if was buying new.
cheers
Wayne

John Lever

rich said:
Roughwear said:

Also Andrew, I feel there comes a point where you might feel it is simply not worth it, regardless of the individuals spending power. (I'm never going to pay £25 for a bottle of wine - I could, but I won't..............)
Rich,
For once we agree. It has come to the point where they are not worth it and impossible to justify the outlay. £700 is serious money.
Gary is a business man so he has to make sales while he can and take advantage of the weak pound to boost exports sales but also balance the higher cost of his imported materials. When the pound goes up again what will happen to exports, will Eastman cut prices ?

rich

John Lever said:
It has come to the point where they are not worth it and impossible to justify the outlay. £700 is serious money.

Yes John - soon everyone'll be wearing their originals so as not to risk damaging their repros .........

But maybe the market for older repros might get more interesting as a consequence?

Tim P

rich said:
John Lever said:
It has come to the point where they are not worth it and impossible to justify the outlay. £700 is serious money.

Yes John - soon everyone'll be wearing their originals so as not to risk damaging their repros .........

But maybe the market for older repros might get more interesting as a consequence?

I had just that thought.
to me £400 is on the expensive side for a leather jacket, £700 takes the pish. I understand that tanneries have to produce to an old specification etc but somewhere along the line some hefty labour charges must be getting added to the processes involved in producing a new thing that looks old.
So I drool instead of whipping out my credit card. :(