• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flying Legends 2011 New Eastman Jackets on view

Persimmon

Just back from Day 1 of Flying Legends Airshow in Duxford
(I will do a seperate posting on the planes)

At the Eastman stand I saw two new jackets that Gary announced they are about to launch on the website.

For me a mixture of very good and (well to be kind) not as good.

First lets get the disappointment for me out of the way.
As I was wearing my Eastman A1 to the show you might pick up I am a big fan of this jacket.
Eastman did a wonderful job creating this and the Capeskin is superb.

Eastman have now launched a 50 Cal version of the A1 and it was on display.
To be honest I did not like it at all.
I looked washed out and all the magic was gone.
I know the 50 Cal treatment is not to everyone's taste but it seems to just almost bleached out all the colour and added a few wrinkles.
Now of course as these are test jackets things might change .... so

I know your saying where are the pictures but in my love of the other new jacket (A2) and because I perhaps because of the disappointment I forgot to !!
Perhaps someone else did but I am sure it will soon be on the website and you can make up your own mind.

However the other new jacket was the Roughwear 1401 version of the 23rd Fighter Group.

Please see the pictures. I was very impressed.

Its in their warhorse Russet Brown horsehide and as the sample was in my size (40) I had to try it on.
Andrew (roughwear) took the picture and gave it plus marks.
The jacket not the picture !!

As for the cost the standard 1401 RW is on the site at the moment for about £650
Add another £300 to have this version in your wardrobe or on you !

Gary told me the cost is needed for not only is it a quality leather A2 but it has got all the patches on it and they do look wonderful examples of quality but the jacket has had not only one timeworn treatment but a second more special version to highlight those extra bits.

What do you think ??

photod1.jpg

FlyingLegends043.jpg

FlyingLegends042.jpg

FlyingLegends041.jpg

FlyingLegends040.jpg

FlyingLegends039.jpg

John Lever

£950 for an Eastman A-2 ???
Rather than all the TW versions it might be better to make some other types, eg. M445 M444, and a better Irvin with the correct zips....

Dr H

Read your post with a sinking feeling Alan. Perhaps the A-1 will look better in production, but I can't help but feel that they're messing with a well tailored product for no good reason. The capeskin is so soft that it weathers quickly and easily.
I took your advice and used HWT on mine and it improved significantly - lots of character, pulled in the back a little as it was just a fraction blousy. The neck is now much better-the knit was too soft, but it now stands up. Might try tumbling it cool now.
Been wearing the A-1 daily for a fortnight and soaked in rain twice. Already looking more worn than my GW Doni after 1 year...

Persimmon

Dr H said:
Read your post with a sinking feeling Alan. Perhaps the A-1 will look better in production, but I can't help but feel that they're messing with a well tailored product for no good reason. The capeskin is so soft that it weathers quickly and easily.
I took your advice and used HWT on mine and it improved significantly - lots of character, pulled in the back a little as it was just a fraction blousy. The neck is now much better-the knit was too soft, but it now stands up. Might try tumbling it cool now.
Been wearing the A-1 daily for a fortnight and soaked in rain twice. Already looking more worn than my GW Doni after 1 year...

I could kick myself for not taking some pictures of the A1.
Hopefully Andrew (Roughwear) and Bob (Bobbyball) might post later their thoughts as they were with me at the Eastman tent with me.

Glad your A1 is coming on. It was just perfect A1 weather today.
Bits of sunshine, rain. dull and overcast and a slight breeze blowing.
Its great for all seasons

CBI

Alan - thanks for posting. Looks like you all had a great time. The ELC 23rd FG jacket looks really nice. Surprised you didn't buy it (or maybe you did order one!) Gotta give it to ELC for this excellent work. The 23FG patch is a bit on the large side but they must be assuming folks wont be adding a name strip. W/O the name strip, the size works. Curious to see the A-1 even though you are giving it low marks.

Thank you.................

A

Anonymous

The 23rd Fighter Group Patches are done by Sean Collins a2jacketpatches, for Eastman. Considering the size shown is a 40, the patch is about the right size, and still has room for a tag. If you like more space just drop the 23rd a half inch.

CBI

I have gone to bat for Sean (not that he needs it) many times on here and recently had sewn some of his patches on an original to cover some holes. He makes the best layered leather patches around and I kind of assumed these ELC patches might have been his work. The work is excellent. However, since you mentioned it, he and I have gone back and forth a few times on sizing and I have mentioned that I thought some of the breast patches were too large. I think the ELC with patches looks great in any case and I would order patches from him again in a heartbeat! No worries and congrats to Sean on the gig!

CBI

on a side note, this 23rd jacket is how much? $1,500. One could buy a beautiful original for that price. Sorry to be picky above but these prices are getting ridiculous (even understanding the reasoning). When a repro costs as much as a MINT original, I think we are at a breaking point here ..............

John Lever

chitchat said:
A straight up Buzz or Real McCoys runs how much ?????
Yes, but we all know that they are silly prices inflated by the Japanese market . When the pound goes in in value as it will when interest rates rise then they will be more $1500.

CBI

Just want to say again, the ELC 23rd looks great. Alan thanks for posting, don't want the thread to deteriorate into a bunch of negativity as many of them tend to do. We all have our things we are picky about and one of mine are/is patches. I understand that if one bought a Good Wear and purchased 3 quality patches, the cost would be close to the same. This hobby is getting expensive however manufactures aren't making these so customers can buy them in quantity! ELC has to be congratulated for revamping their products and frankly any company that makes repro WW2 jackets gets a thumbs up from me just for doing it!

John Lever

Was there any mention of a replacement for the ill fated Devon fleece RAF jacket, or the use of Warhorse on Anj-4's and B-3's ?

Persimmon

CBI said:
Just want to say again, the ELC 23rd looks great. Alan thanks for posting, don't want the thread to deteriorate into a bunch of negativity as many of them tend to do. We all have our things we are picky about and one of mine are/is patches. I understand that if one bought a Good Wear and purchased 3 quality patches, the cost would be close to the same. This hobby is getting expensive however manufactures aren't making these so customers can buy them in quantity! ELC has to be congratulated for revamping their products and frankly any company that makes repro WW2 jackets gets a thumbs up from me just for doing it!

They are trying for sure to raise their game and the shop was certainly busy yesterday.
I thought the A2 was excellent.
I honestly feel my photos do not do justice to the quality and fit of the jacket

John Lever said:
Was there any mention of a replacement for the ill fated Devon fleece RAF jacket, or the use of Warhorse on Anj-4's and B-3's ?

Sorry John. I never asked as I am not into those types of jackets.
I do have serious restrictive jacket vision !!
Gary did say that there were more new jackets coming. Especially more in the line of "group replica" jackets so best to ask about your needs and wants

767fo

CBI said:

I don't think it will be long before you can buy an A2 from John with a patch he makes himself. He has a Aero on his sale page with a patch that says made by Good Wear in horsehide. It looks really well done to me.

a2jacketpatches

Everyone gets their patches exactly how they order them, including Gary. What I like about my job is that I don't have to follow contract specifics and there is plenty of room for artistic licence and variation. Everyone has personal opinion and that's a good thing in my eyes, it adds to the variety and generates custom orders. My mission is not to make perfect copies of specific patches unless the customer orders it that way. I'm an individual artist that works using the same methods and using the freedom of my own choices. So in a nut shell, everything I do is as right as rain, just because I said so. That is, unless the paying customer has a different opinion, and in my opinion, he is right as rain.

Marv

I was great to meet fellow VLJ'ers at FL on Saturday and I got to try on various jackets at the ELC stand and found dicrepencies on sizes for me with different styles.

Currently owing the new ELC RW 27752 in a 46" which feels good around the shoulders and chest but blousy around the mid-drift, I was curious to see if I had ordered the incorrect size by trying on a size 44" RW 27752.
I found that the 44" was a little tight across the shoulders and chest but perfect around the mid-drift section so I was happy that I had ordered the correct size in a 46" after all and guess the blousy mid-drift area is just a RW trait.

Other Jackets tried for fit etc. I usually take around a size 46" but noticed some differences between models...........

1) Hartmann = 48"
2) Luftwaffe = 46"
3) RW B10 = 48"
4) M422a = 44"
5) Star = 46"
6) Monarch = 44"

So sizing was all over the place which when buying off the web would cause problems and delays in obtaining the correct sized jacket.

CBI

Sean - what levels the playing field for me is that in the various theaters of operations, there were a million variations of insignia even within specific units. There is at least one example of almost any conceivable number of patches/combination of patches/patch placement/etc. in photos from the war.