• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flying Boots

Andrew

In repsonse to Hawkeye's sad :( post on Aero '36 pattern boots i've started this thread.

A few weeks ago I came across the RM Williams custom boot dept in Sth Aust- they say they will do whatever you want (I imagine for a very healthy price, but then I guess Aero's aren't cheap either) but i'll bet no one has ever asked for these.

Just out of interest I was thinking of asking them if it would be possible and what it would cost to make a copy of '36ers based on a real pair with the details as exact as possible- not that I want them as i've got 3 pairs of originals and never need to wear them.

If they could do it I would imagine they would be the best copies available considering the eye for detail and quality of everything they do. If and when i'll post the response.

I don't rate the Aero offering personally form the shots i've seen- there's just too many details wrong- the shape of the body (it has a complex in built curve), the height, the vamp height, the foot shape etc etc. They look more like jackboots to me.

Here's some shots of my orig's- first pair are Aust made and belonged to a Kiwi BoB Hurricane Pilot who later became C/O of RNZAF 487 Sq (low level Mossie)- the stories these could tell- He was lead Pilot in the attack on Amiens Gestapo Prison.

P2220060.jpg

P2220062.jpg

Second pair belonged to an AAF Pilot in the SWPA- Aussie made brown- only ever seen one other like them. Size 9- I love this pair.

P2140467-1.jpg

These are the RAF Air Ministry stamped type- they appear to have wider and slightly shorter tops but they may have stretched- they're a size 12 and fit me but they are becoming delicate and losing a bit of fleece so I have only put 'em on the once.

P2150032-1.jpg

P2150035-1.jpg

spitfire

stunning collection,absolutely magnificent.thank you for posting the pics and letting us all see them.they are truly glorious :)

Andrew

Comon Joe you bugger, just trying to get his mind off it with a possible alternative!

Hawkeye

Beautiful collection, especially the brown ones. Thats the thing about boots, I wouldnt hesitate about wearing an original jacket if its condition allowed it but with original boots I would think the stresses would be too great for everyday wear once they reach the age that they are. Just too much opportunity for dirt, scratches, and water to take their toll. Otherwise I probobly would buy originals, seeing as you can still get decent ones for the same price as an Aero pair.

Heres a pair of 1940 pattern boots a I aquired earlier this year. They belonged to a Kiwi Flying Officer with the RAF who was shot down and killed in a Short Stirling by FW-190s near Arnhem on September 21, 1944 during Market Garden, doing supply drops. They were in great condition, the rubber parts not having a crack in them. However, I dont have the proper place, or the room, to display them so I sold them to someone who hopefully has better means to care for them than I do.

meirvin015-1.jpg

fishmeok

Just for comparison here's a pair of English made Avirex repro '36 pattern boots from the '80's.
Cheers
Mark

DSCN2726.jpg

DSCN2728.jpg

Hawkeye

I just found a pic of the elusive Eastman 1936er. It looks impressive, shame thyey are no longer in production.

3620boot20outside.jpg

Tim P

If some bugger would make USAAF A-6 boots that didnt burst upon wear I would probably throw quite a lot of dollars at it. (have substitutes but no a-6's that I would dare to degrade by wear)

Andrew

Speedster said:
Any news re your approach to RM Williams. I would be very interested in a pair in brown.

Sorry Speedster, not yet, been a bit busy, plus I misplaced my RM order catalogue. I have since recovered it and i'll try to do it in the next few weeks.