• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flight suits: they don't make 'em like they used to!

Jason

SI%2098-15012h.jpg

Stumbled across this, Wiley Post used this for high altitude flights. Bet you're glad you don't have to find a place to store one of these!

Falcon_52

Nice photo, Jason. Yes, I would have some trouble finding a place to put that. It doesn't look like "just another jacket/flight suit." ;)

Noel

Silver Surfer

thwy must have pulled the helmet off of a deep dive suit, and cobbled it on to the one pictured....seriously, hahahahaha

ADC

I love those boots. I wonder what that suit would look like at 50,000 feet? Should be called the Frankenflyer suit.

ButteMT61

ADC said:
I love those boots. I wonder what that suit would look like at 50,000 feet? Should be called the Frankenflyer suit.

First thing I thought was wow - give me those gloves and boots!

Great pic!

Rutger

Wiki:

The body of the suit had three layers: long underwear, an inner black rubber air pressure bladder, and an outer layer made of rubberized parachute fabric. The outer layer was glued to a frame with arm and leg joints that allowed him to operate the flight controls and to walk to and from the aircraft. Attached to the frame were pigskin gloves, rubber boots, and an aluminum-and-plastic diver's helmet. The helmet had a removable faceplate that could be sealed at a height of 17,000 ft, and could accommodate earphones and a throat microphone. The helmet was cylinder-shaped with a circular window. In the first flight using the suit on September 5, 1934, Post reached an altitude of 40,000 ft above Chicago. Eventually flying as high as 50,000 ft, Post discovered the jet stream and made the first major practical advances in pressurized flight.[6]

a2jacketpatches

More appropriate to call it a Float Suit, right? these altitudes were achieved in balloons? Like to know what fixed wing aircraft this guy was flying.