• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fit of A-2

SteveN

OK, so to kick off the new forum, how about an old favorite. Fit.

Ultimately, it's whatever you think looks good, but I'm looking for guidelines. When I bought a jacket from HPA, I was told that the leather should come to the bottom (or was it the top?) of the belt. The sleeves are obviously different; if they come to the wrist bone, like a suit, the knits would be far too long.

So, what does everyone use as a 'best guide' to fit of an A-2?

Regards,
- Steve N

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
SteveN said:
So, what does everyone use as a 'best guide' to fit of an A-2?

Regards,
- Steve N

Steve, I don't think there's a magic formula, but I think that getting the shoulders right, is the key to a well fitting jacket.

If it's loose in the shoulders, then to me, it's too large, and leather is not forgiving like a cloth jacket.

Everything else should then work, you will know if the length looks right for you, and in keeping with the jacket's style.

Sleeve length is common sense, personally I don't like tunneling. If you want them to be long enough when you drive, be prepared to walk around with arms outstretched when you're out of the car.

zoomer

My preferences:
-I like a medium-trim fit: comfy, but not droopy at the shoulder or overly full thru the bod.
-I don't mind slight sleeve tunneling as much as I mind gapping when wearing gloves.
-I like to have at least 2" of waistband past the beltline even with low rise jeans, and be able to pull a light sweater down snug with less than 2" showing past the waistband.

Chest:
I take my suit size and add 4-6" to get a range for the actual jacket chest (compare to the jacket pit-to-pit measure x 2).
I wear a 43R so I want a jacket chest of 47-49" (pit-pit 231/2-241/2").

Sleeves:
I take my shirt sleeve size and compare it to this formula:
(1/2 jacket shoulder-to-shoulder width) + (length of jacket sleeve with cuff).
I wear a 35 sleeve so I want a jacket sleeve of 251/2" on a 19" shoulder width (19/2=91/2+251/2=35), or 251/4" on a 191/2" shoulder width (191/2 /2=93/4+251/4=35).
An inch or so extra is OK. Any less and I'm taking a chance on needing to hot-stretch the sleeves, or fit longer cuffs.

Shoulders:
A military fit A-2 of any standard size will pretty much always measure 18"-20" across the shoulders. I don't think anyone but the very burly really requires an A-2 outside that range.
(Note that the shoulder+sleeve formula above doesn't apply if the sleeves are too short on you. Even if the shoulder width makes up the difference, they're still going to hang short.)

Collar:
I take my shirt collar size and add 3" to allow for latching the jacket collar if I choose to.
I wear a 17 collar so I want a jacket collar of 20" - measured at the neck seam.
(Note: most sellers won't give you this unless asked. Also note: the bigger-necked gent like me often will not be able to latch his collar on a mil-fit A-2 unless he gives it a few hot-water stretches.)

Body length:
All the above measures can be done with your off-the-rack sizes if you know they fit well. The body length is the tricky one as it has to do with your beltline.
Here it's best if you take a jacket that fits well and measure the front zip flap, then the back panel from neck seam to bottom of waistband.
Note carefully how the feel is around your beltline and whether your belt or pants waist is exposed. A little longer is better than a little shorter.
I suppose you could measure from the neck seam of a dress shirt (minus collar band height) to your beltline in front, and then again in back. But I haven't tried it. You'd need a helper, of course.

Jamesp

I think the fit debate is more of an issue as in the main we have to order our jackets without trying them on first.

You would be very lucky if you lived near an A2 maker or stockist.

Also the original pictures I have seen seem to have all sorts of fit.

When I first bought an A2 I thought the fit was great, but then I found forums such as this and I had to think again.

Six A2s later!!

Tamokos pictures looks to be the fit to aim for I would say.

James

A

Anonymous

Slim down, lose the beer gut and the fit should be fine. Otherwise, you'll look like a muppet.

greyhound52

Tranquility Base said:
Slim down, lose the beer gut and the fit should be fine. Otherwise, you'll look like a muppet.

Amen brother. You don't see any beer guts during WW2 on these guys. Why I use my jackets like "Jenny Craig" to keep the weight off.

tamoko said:
This is perfect fit for me
Hi-Res
http://www.nets2dio.com/Jackets/A-2_FIT.jpg

A-2_FIT.jpg

What contract is this jacket? Looks like a Werber to me? I'm trying to develop my eye. :geek:

ties70

Tranquility,

great and rare picture...

John McCain, together with a veteran from WWII (the guy with the flight jacket), an unknown car salesman and one of the original Village People!

Ties