• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First timer looking to dip my toes into vintage flight jackets

Joewest

So I've been interested in the flight jackets for some time now but never really looked into it much. Recently I picked up a Cooper "flight style" jacket for cheap and have started doing more research on the real issued and civilian reproduction models. I am curious if anyone knows how this jacket compares fit wise to a g1 or a2 also made by Cooper.

I purchased a size 46 which is a little roomy but I do plan to use it with layers in colder weather. My only complaint is the sleeves are a touch too long. I tried on the same jacket in a 42 in the past and it was definitely a little too small all around. https://flic.kr/p/2hAMrV2

Joewest

Also, I can't seem to find out when this jacket was made but I am assuming it was late 90s early 2000s? I know they went out of business in 06 or 07

Smithy

Hi Joe and welcome aboard by the way!

In truth that's what is kind of referred to as a generic "bomber jacket". That's not to say it's a bad jacket nor badly made but that it's not a jacket made as a reproduction of a military spec and issued one.

Those Cockpit bombers are actually really practical and tough jackets. Wear it and enjoy it I say.

Cheers,

Tim

Joewest

I'm aware it's a generic style but I can't complain for $42. I would like to pick up a more accurate g-1 down the road, just not sure how the fit would compare.

B-Man2

Hey Joe Welcome
A size 44, G-1 might be one for you to try on as it will fit you a bit better than this 46. Also remember that while this has a thick fleece lining the G-1 does not.

Steve27752

So I've been interested in the flight jackets for some time now but never really looked into it much. Recently I picked up a Cooper "flight style" jacket for cheap and have started doing more research on the real issued and civilian reproduction models. I am curious if anyone knows how this jacket compares fit wise to a g1 or a2 also made by Cooper.

I purchased a size 46 which is a little roomy but I do plan to use it with layers in colder weather. My only complaint is the sleeves are a touch too long. I tried on the same jacket in a 42 in the past and it was definitely a little too small all around. https://flic.kr/p/2hAMrV2
I am here. Hi Joe, welcome to VLJ, by way of an introduction, why not post a bit about yourself here.
http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/forums/member-bios.21/

ausreenactor

G'day and Welcome mate!

Do your research and buy 'right'. You will only spend good money on ordinary jackets if you don't.

Couchy

mulceber

G'day and Welcome mate!

Do your research and buy 'right'. You will only spend good money on ordinary jackets if you don't.

Couchy

Seconded - and don’t get too wedded to Cooper. There are a LOT of great flight jackets from the ‘30s through the ‘60s that were made by other companies.