First New FJ in Years

Discussion in 'General Flight Jacket Discussion' started by Atticus, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Atticus

Atticus Well-Known Member

I haven't bought a flight jacket in forever...but, this morning, I found this B-10 on sale at ATF. It was less than half the normal price and I just couldn't resist. I know it isn't an Eastman...but I probably won't wear it very frequently...so it doesn't have to be. Besides, in the past, I've bought an M-41 and a M-43 from ATF and have been very pleased with both. Maybe my luck will hold out for one more jacket.

Supposed to be here next week.

[​IMG]

AF

2. dujardin

dujardin Well-Known Member

ahahhhh virus is back again

from what i've heard, you will be happy with this (brand) jacket

3. Smithy

Smithy Active Member

I got an ATF B-10 in January and am supremely happy with mine. It's very well made, perfect stitching throughout, materials are very nice (and I'm more than happy with the synthetic liner, alpaca drives me round the twist) and very well put together. Sure it's not an ELC or RM but for the price it's hard to beat. Down the line I'll replace the knits with seamless jobs from MASH but I'm not going to rush to do it. Overall super satisfied so hope you'll have the same experience.

4. Marv

Marv Active Member

I have a cheap B-10 from Seal Military in the UK and for the price it's an ok jacket but the ATF version looks really great and especially at that SALE price.

5. Atticus

I also bought my M-41 and m-43 field jackets as "deals of the day". For the price, they can't be beat. I've worn the heck out of my M-41 because it is just the right weight for our mild North Carolina winters. Its starting to look very much like an original. Faded and a bit scroungey.

AF

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  6. dmar836

dmar836 Well-Known Member

Looks like a good un'!
    Dave

7. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

yep, if we would actually WEAR our jackets, they would look the part!!!! :rolleyes: hard when one owns LOADS of jackets

8. photo2u

photo2u Member

Is this ATF jacket collar crafted in real sheepskin fur?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  9. Smithy

Smithy Active Member

Mine has a sheepskin mouton collar.

10. Atticus

You're right. I've always thought I'd been better off if I had just bought one nice leather jacket years ago. Something classic and tough, like a Highwayman or a Bootlegger. If I had done that, I'd already have what I'm always searching for on eBay.

Truthfully, nowadays, my jacket wearing seems to be confined to three or four favorites. I wear the m-41 most frequently. When it actually turns cold, I wear an original Vietnam-era deck jacket. When it's cold and I'm wearing something more dressy than jeans, I grab an early '50s peacoat.

AF

11. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Active Member

You lucky man you are cured , and have much more money in the bank your wife must be so proud of you !.

BIP

12. Atticus

Haha! The truth is...I've grown too old and fat to look good in a flight jacket. Now I just wear whatever is loose, warm and comfortable.

AF

13. Bombing IP

Bombing IP Active Member

Visiting the VLJ do you not worry you will have a relapse and go into a buying frenzy .

BIP

14. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

wear pics!

15. Atticus

Ok! But it might be ugly! When the jacket arrives, I'll put the wide angle lens on my camera...and snap some big-boy jacket selfies.

AF

16. Peter Graham

Peter Graham Well-Known Member

Hey Geoff. Great to see you posting again. In my experience you can't go far wrong with a B-10. I'd have probably had one too except I heard about the sale a few hours too late. Looking forward to those pics.

17. Atticus

Hi Peter. Even though I've never been a huge B-10 fan, it seems like it might be a good jacket for the climate where I live. I've sure gotten a lot of wear out of the B-15C I bought from Brooks a zillion years ago.

I actually bought a used ELC B-10 sometime back. It's was supposed to be a size 48...and was tagged as such...but it was more like a 44. And it arrived with a broken zipper. I returned it to the seller. Been half looking for a good deal on a decent B-10 since.

AF

18. Monsoon

Monsoon Member

I had one of the first run ATF B-10s. I thought it was a great jacket. I wore it most winters until I got a BR B-10 and I gave the ATF to my niece.

19. Atticus

ATF's description of the jacket says it's mouton. They also say the jacket's lining is man made...unlike the originals, which were lined with alpaca.

AF

20. photo2u

photo2u Member

I was reading the description. However, the images in their website do not appear to be natural or real mouton. I just want to make sure is the real thing. Also the price states $189 Dollars.... Is the sale over? or was it a mistake?