• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First attempt at a Squadron Patch-422nd Night Fighter Sqdrn

Ian C

Hiya,

Just a picture of my first attempt at a squadron patch so don't laugh :) Also if anyone has got any tips on ageing it or what sort of lacquer would be best for it? Satin or matt finish?

Thanks,
Ian

IMG_1552.jpg

EMBLEMHUNTER

Re: First attempt at a Squadron Patch-422nd Night Fighter Sq

Hello Ian, hey buddy for a first shot a making a patch I must say that it is not all that bad , actually a fairly good rendering !!!!!!!
I've been making leather patches for over 25 years now and your first again is pretty good, there are a few "details" that could be improved and some not there that should be, but please don't take my not as critisism , you did good !
Johnny/WeBeEmblems

P.S. as to the "finish" I would suggest a "semi gloss" as most WW-2 originals I've seen even really beat up usually still have a "slight" glossiness to them, and as to the "ageing" I usually use a thinned dirty wash of black acrylic, if you're using an acrylic for all the other colors .

Ian C

Thanks,

I realise it's not 100%, the stars I'm not happy with but I was copying it from an image of an embroidered patch so the detail isn't exact and my interpretation.
I wouldn't mind a better image to work from as I'm sure the next one could be better.

Ian

deand

I'm impressed! Honestly, it looks vintage, field made and with the right aging method, will even moreseo! Great work, Ian! Way to go!

dean

A

Anonymous

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding around, far and away better than my first ten patches, good work.

Ian C

I've just been fettling it a bit. I realise it's not authentic but as I said it's an interpretation and I just want to get used to the paints etc.
Honest opinions though-is it good to go on my ELC Rough Wear or should I have another crack at it?
Cheers,
Ian

IMG_1556.jpg

deand

Go for it! And I mean that most honestly.

dean

EMBLEMHUNTER

yeah , I think it would look great on your jacket , but only do it if you feel comfortable about it too !
Johnny

atkins

Looks very authentic Ian. I like and would like to learn the shading technique.

Ian C

Just been having a go at another two.
Firstly a 506 PIR 101st US Airborne patch and secondly one for fun, based on my love of warbow archery and English Bull Terriers. Fitting because I'm a member of the English Warbow society and the Bull Terrier theme fits well (for me anyway). Someone suggested I used bulldog but I don't like the way they've been messed about with by the Kennel Club as that isn't what a bulldog should look like.
If I can get a lift up to the shops later I'll get some varnish to finish them. The 506 one needs ageing a bit too. Apologies to who makes a far better job of these than me but it's stopping me going stir crazy while my leg mends.

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

deand

Terrific Work, Ian.

dean