• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finding someones unit records

Weasel_Loader

Anyone know how I can find out what unit a pilot flew with during WW2? When I was growing up, we had a gentleman across the street that flew P-38s in the Pacific. That's all I remember from his WW2 experience. He once took me flying in his private plane one time when I was a child. He knew I had a love for flight and even passed on his A-11 Flight helmet w/goggles and A-14 O2 mask to me. His name is written on the inside of the helmet with number. I'd love to find out what exact unit he was attached to. Anyone know how to go about finding this info? Thanks.

IMG_2818.jpg

Andrew

That's something to have Danny. I've got the same but all from Ebay :oops: . How much more precious is it to have been given that when you were little. Good luck.

Weasel_Loader

Thanks. I also have his pilot wings that he gave me. One sad part about the whole thing is that years ago when I lived in Arizona, I had forgotten that the helmet was packed in a box inside my garage. Well, 120 degree weather fried the o2 mask and turned the mask portion very stiff and brittle. The leather survived and still very plush.

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

d600d76c.jpg

c6595d16.jpg