• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally found it, M51 in my size, and a few other things

a2jacketpatches

Been looking for an M51 since I found a near mint one in my size ten years ago. It was unissued and the cloth was impeccable, but every stitch on the thing was weak like dry rot or something. For some reason, only the thread used to assemble it was affected so the jacket was useless. Found this one in lightly used shape, a little faded but strong. I've got a SAC and 42nd Bomb Wing Patch from the 50's for it, I served with that unit in the mid 80's. But I wanted the 50's look because the patches were bigger and they just have to go on a 50's jacket. Nice minty VN helmet dated 1966, some VN ammo pouches a VN Pistol Belt with Davis buckle and my second favorite thing today, a 508th PIR ashtray from a Bavarian Co. 1946. Also picked up this M42 a week or two ago, looked like it was in a fire so I stripped it and was going to get creative with a cammo job but decided to flip it on Ebay, I've got enough work to do.

a2jacketpatches

Yeah, the guy had his yard sale posted on Craigslist and I just happened to find it after the swap meet this morning. He had "Silver WW2 Air Force Wings" posted so I flew down there to find a pair of Full Birds for 100 bucks :roll: Anyway, this ashtray was on a shelf for 7 bucks.

Peter Graham

Nice finds. M-51's are great jackets, especially with Crown zippers as yours has. The ashtray is the business.

a2jacketpatches

Yeah Peter, fits like a glove and has a different feel than the M65. Back when I had the weak stitched one I also had a mint M65 and the 51 felt lighter. Unfortunately one wear was it as I got in my van at the time and the arms separated turning the thing into a vest. And didn't even realize the Crown zip.

Also, here's a quote I found in my research about the ash tray from a 508th member.

Bob Chisolm, Company I, 508th, 43-46 adds the following: "My best recollection, as to the origin of these mugs, is as follows. Our 508th Exchange in Heddernheim offered these for sale in mid 1946. (I think that Lt Russell was the Exchange Officer at that time.) They were very popular and a big seller. I bought a dozen (still have six) and they had matching ash trays. The inscription, and manufacturers trade mark on the bottom is Bauscher/Weiden, in a circle with a B|W in a smaller circle. I would agree that they were manufactured in Weidenbaden."

Oh, and meant to throw these nasty little things in here as well, Lazy Dog Bombs, gravity bombs. Dropped by the thousands over a wide area. Used from WW2 up trough VN. Imagine one of these hitting you on the head dropped from altitude?