• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

" Fighting Aces"

Maverickson

By 1968 naval aviators obviously perfered the nylon flight jackets. Some of the pilots and aircrews are still wearing their G-1 jackets. Most wear Nylon. As seen here in the photo of my late father's squadron VA-152 aboard the USS Forrestal somewhere in the Mediterainean. They had just received the A-4 Skyhawk for this deployment having just transitioned from the AD Skyraider.

4-21-2008-07.jpg

My father, Cdr. E.E. Sheeley can be seen wearing the big grin in the front row and in the sitting position with the "Piss Cutter" cap . In this picture dad was having the time of his life as he had just returned from a back too back, May of 1965 to January of 1968, Vietnam combat tours aboard the USS Oriskany attached to Air Wing 16.

Incidentially, father was one of twenty, and a section leader, present on the same alpha strike over Haiphong/Hanoi in which John McCain and one other pilot were lost on October 26, 1967. The attrition rate in 1965 the 1966 deployment alone for Air Wing-16 was 33% of pilots KIA and 50% loss of serviceable aircraft due to battle damage. These losses do not account for thoses pilots POWed. Cdr. Sheeley was a lucky survivor. I recently found his Air Medal citiation for this strike.

The Veterans Administration recently ruled his passing service related. He was buried in Arlington April 30, 2008. I will now ask that his name be added to the other Vietnam casualties on the Vietnam Memorial Wall in Washington D.C..