• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fenland gone bust

John Lever

They have ceased trading so this will have an impact on our hobby. Aero planned to use their skins and RMNZ have used them for years. Fenland also were prepared to sell small batches of hides to enthusiast to make a single custom jacket.
I think that just leaves Devonia as the UK supplier.

John Lever

ausreenactor said:
And up go the prices....again..
I think you could be right there, although there was huge demand from the fashion industry this last winter for the Aviator jacket craze. Perhaps when things cool off prices will stabilise.

Garzo

I'm not familiar with the company or the reasons they went bust, but if it was due to lower demand, you'd expect leather prices to drop as well, wouldn't you? Although it's obvious that hasn't been happening. I suppose with one less player in the market, it will give the competition a greater edge.
And of course there might be countless other reasons why the business went belly up ...

Falcon_52

Sad news for sure. I really liked the Fenland sheepskin that John Lever used for that custom Aero RAF jacket. I was hoping that Eastman might go with Fenland in the future to improve the look of their RAF jackets but it looks like their is no hope of that now. :(

Maybe now RMNZ will secure a local source of sheepskin (and bring their prices down slightly - I wish!).

Noel

John Lever

Noel,
It is the same that Jon used for his recent RAF jacket.
Fenland were a big operation, tanning 10 000 skins a month so they will be a hole in many supply chains. I have no idea why they stopped trading, but factors such as huge demand for sheepskins from Chine and the recent death of one of the family may be a factor. It could be that they will be bought from the receiver and re emerge somehow. There must be masses of stuff waiting to go to New Zealand for RM/Few. A factory sale would be interesting !

jonnyboy

It's a real shame. When I spoke to them earlier this week, they were just finishing orders, and sorting out the books. No new orders. I've contacted Devonia - hopefully they'll be able to match to samples of the remaining Fenland skins that I still have. I have enough skins for 3 jackets like the test jacket (pre-war panel configuration) and possibly one multipanel jacket - then I'll need to get some more!

From the conversation I had with June on Monday, it sounded like it's because of the state of the industry - i.e. UK suppliers can't compete price-wise with the likes of China and other places. I think most UK sheepskins get shipped abroad for processing and tanning anyway. Devonia, and maybe one or two other smaller places, are probably all that's left in the UK now.

Cheers,

Jon

rich

John Lever said:
Tragic really. I wonder where jacket makers will get skins from now ?

Do you know where ALC get their skins from John? They seem to have had a very consistent look to them for a long time, even if their pattern is off.

269sqnhudson

They used to say they were Australian on the website. Doesn't say anything now so I bet China. I bought one last year and I have to say it's a fabulous jacket. For me it's an ok approximation of an Irvin but the sheepskin is very very nice quality without a heavy finish but pretty durable. I had an ELC broken grain but actually sold it in favour of an ALC :eek: The details are all off but they really know how to make a piece of gear, great stitching etc.

If you want one size down too (compared to an ELC A2).

T

Marv

My first (so called) Irvin was an ALC and apart from it being far from accurate, it is a well built excellent quality jacket a bit bulky and very warm mind.