• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Felt Lafayette Escadrille Patch on a wool A-1 Jacket

a2jacketpatches

Period correct construction made of period correct 100% wool felt (Expensive!!!!!) Lafayette Escadrille insignia stitched using 100% cotton thread. Not saying this was ever used as a patch in this form or colors, just that the method was widely used during WW1 so I decided to take a whirl at it. Right down to the decorative zig-zag stitching around the perimeter, a very period accurate patch in its own right. The wool A-1 jacket (anyone know the maker? I need a button) has been hanging in my closet for years with little use if any so it ended up being the perfect home for this patch. I've got 3 other Indian heads that I'll be finishing up over the week using some different color combinations, so if anyone would like one the opportunity is there for custom backing. The expense and difficulty of these make them a little pricey at 150- but I don't think you'll find this option anywhere else......at least for a while til someone else decides to hop on board.

Skyhawk

Looks really cool!! I think those buttons are available on some vintage US Army shirts I have seen. It mat be hard to get the exact color match though. May have to change out the whole set or live with a slight color variation on that pocket.

Silver Surfer

nicely done, sean. keep in mind that there are some folks that will get their panties in a twist when they see the swastika on the patch. most do not know, or care to know that it is an ancient symbol used by plains indians in the us, african nomads, indo-europeans, etc. they will see what they see and react accordingly.

jack31916

What's the approx. size of the buttons? I might have a few very similar ones (free of charge ;) )

Nice patch b.t.w. !

a2jacketpatches

Silver Surfer said:
nicely done, sean. keep in mind that there are some folks that will get their panties in a twist when they see the swastika on the patch. most do not know, or care to know that it is an ancient symbol used by plains indians in the us, african nomads, indo-europeans, etc. they will see what they see and react accordingly.

You're probably right V m-man, but as you know, I could give a rats ass if a select few takes something personal that has absolutely nothing to do with them. Or in this case absolutely nothing to do with the Third Reich. I'll be sure to add a note in my Ebay listing though -

"The symbol used on this patch in no way shape or form represents any political party past or present"
or
"The symbol used on this patch was employed by various American Indian tribes, notably the Navajo, for whom it was a sort of good luck sign"
or
"Get a fricken life"
:lol:

Cobblers161

The Whirling Log/Svasti/Wanzi had been in use long before the NSDAP adopted and brutalised the design.

I've always loved the Lafayette Escadrille patch because of the Swastika, in mind this helps to take back a design long associated with peace.

The jacket looks sweet! I love it.

Silver Surfer

good answer, sean. ive dealt with this kinda stuff in the past, and found that a history lesson for those who were "upset" was not going anywhere. so, like you, my reaction was bugger off. btw, i got it from the usual suspects, as well as neo nazi aholes. same kinda crap, but from the other side.