• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FiveStar Irvin Jacket

Jennison

With the way Shawn listens to input from the members of this Forum, I figured the Irvin jacket I ordered wouldn't disappoint. Well, I received it today and am really happy. I have an Avirex "Irvin" from 1990, with the outside pockets and fantasy paneling and too-thick fleece. The latter jacket is very heavy and not very comfortable even after all these years. All of the outside finish was gone within a year of wearing that Irvin so that it now almost looks like suede. The jacket was way too long, going well past the pants belt area on me, to the middle of my back pockets. Because of that, I wasn't sure if I wanted to order another Irvin, but I'm glad I did. First, as I see it, for the most part this jacket looks quite accurate for a 1942 Irvin. Second, the jacket is lighter and MUCH more comfortable than my Avirex; the fleece looks and feels great and isn't too heavy or constricting Third, the zippers are quite stout, not cheap-feeling at all, and they look like original Lightning Zippers. Same goes for the waist belt and buckle. Fourth, I really couldn't believe how meticulous 5* was in making sure the measurements I gave them were correct. So now, I have a jacket that's perfectly short in the body, just covering my pants belt, and sleeves that extend to the middle of my thumb. I also asked for a modest taper so the jacket wouldn't bunch up excessively in the bottom front when the belt is tightened to fit. By "modest" I mean that the taper is gradual and hardly noticeable at all when the belt is undone Fifth, after studying the collar straps on the back of the collars of originals and with help from SNAFU (thank you again), 5* lowered the collar hooks and placed them wider across the collar, in accordance with the measurements I gave them. If you don't ask for that, the strap will be too high on the collar, up near the fleece, and the hooks will be way too close to one another, by almost 6".

Now for the things that could use improvement (and they're very fixable). First, I can see myself in the waist buckle. I'll need to dumb it down with some steel wool. Second, the collar strap on the back of the collar is ridiculous. The end clips are about as thick as paper clips, and if fact I thought they were paper clips. The elastic is cheap and feels just like the stuff they use on toy goggles for kids (at least when I was a kid). If I stretch it out, I'm sure it will quickly develop those waves, like the edges of lasagna pasta. The thin buckle looks like its made from the same stock as the end-clips (ie paper clips). I took it off immediately as I don't want the thin sharp paper clips stabbing the leather collar. Third, the zippers come with no leather pulls as the originals had, so I'll have to hunt those down or make them. Last, and I could be wrong about this as far as originality goes, but the zipper stops aren't C clips. Maybe they weren't originally, but if they were they're wrong on this jacket.

All in all, I'm really happy I ordered this. Once I fix the little stuff, I'll be ready to climb into a Spit.

Last edited:

ludospeed

Me Too. I wait. :p

Attachments

• alain-deloin-les-inconneus.gif
    alain-deloin-les-inconneus.gif
    2 MB · Views: 730

Jennison

It’s not your eyes fellas, nor is it my lack of computer navigation skills (I definitely suffer from the latter, but this site makes it pretty easy). I didn’t post any photos. I had the jacket shipped to my office and I studied it hard there within the time I had to do so. I had to pack it away again when I took it home. Why? Wifey won’t understand why I bought this when it’s 80 degrees out. She knows me better than a girl at the bar, so I can’t cock an eyebrow and say “well it’s not 80 degrees at 25,000 feet.” I’ll catch hell.
That said, I’ll try to have some photos taken today.

In the meantime, if someone knows the answer to the zipper-stop detail, I’d love to know. I’ll fix that too.

Enigma1938

It’s not your eyes fellas, nor is it my lack of computer navigation skills (I definitely suffer from the latter, but this site makes it pretty easy). I didn’t post any photos. I had the jacket shipped to my office and I studied it hard there within the time I had to do so. I had to pack it away again when I took it home. Why? Wifey won’t understand why I bought this when it’s 80 degrees out. She knows me better than a girl at the bar, so I can’t cock an eyebrow and say “well it’s not 80 degrees at 25,000 feet.” I’ll catch hell.
That said, I’ll try to have some photos taken today.

In the meantime, if someone knows the answer to the zipper-stop detail, I’d love to know. I’ll fix that too.
Well like I've said before, original Lightning Zippers had C-shaped stops, at least the most of them. I also studied lots of originals before I made the decision to change them.

Jennison

I just took a look at your name and realized that I was referring to you by your avatar in my first post and not Enigma 1938 (you’re “SNAFU”). Sorry about that. After our exchange, I saw a Irvin jacket in a friend’s collection and it didn’t have C stops. That doesn’t mean C stops weren’t originally on the jacket, but it was enough to compel me to ask what was de rigueur if there was such a thing. I am leaning towards your conclusion….

Jennison

Here are a bunch of photos. I hope they’re helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_5581.jpeg
    IMG_5581.jpeg
    697.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_5587.jpeg
    IMG_5587.jpeg
    670.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_5604.jpeg
    IMG_5604.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,776
  • IMG_5593.jpeg
    IMG_5593.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,491
  • IMG_5594.jpeg
    IMG_5594.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 835
  • IMG_5595.jpeg
    IMG_5595.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 917
  • IMG_5596.jpeg
    IMG_5596.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,707
  • IMG_5597.jpeg
    IMG_5597.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,895
  • IMG_5598.jpeg
    IMG_5598.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1,598
  • IMG_5599.jpeg
    IMG_5599.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 101

Jennison

A few more. You can see just a little of the scarf I’m wearing with the jacket. It’s a Trinity College (Dublin) scarf. I also have Oxford and Cambridge scarves. IMHO they look super with an Irvin and they’re quite historically correct.

Attachments

• IMG_5600.jpeg
    IMG_5600.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1,014
  • IMG_5601.jpeg
    IMG_5601.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_5602.jpeg
    IMG_5602.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3,706
  • IMG_5603.jpeg
    IMG_5603.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2,157
  • IMG_5605.jpeg
    IMG_5605.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5606.jpeg
    IMG_5606.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,133
Last edited:

Jennison

Many a highly educated lad went to battle in the skies over the United Kingdom. I learned from a uniform collector that these boys’ academic scarves flew with them and were worn as a great source of pride (and were quite practical). Here are a few examples (new).

Attachments

• IMG_5607.jpeg
    IMG_5607.jpeg
    841.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5609.jpeg
    IMG_5609.jpeg
    504.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5608.jpeg
    IMG_5608.jpeg
    761.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5610.jpeg
    IMG_5610.jpeg
    653.7 KB · Views: 87

Jennison

Here’s the buckle and a clip on the elastic strap. It’s hard to convey in a photo how wimpy those are. Unless, you’re really laid-back about it, just plan on replacing the strap entirely.

Attachments

• IMG_5622.jpeg
    IMG_5622.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,645
Last edited:

Pilot

Can highly recommend this seller if u-are in UK.
If you are in EU, Korea or Japan, I have a lot of RAF WW2 zips/buckles/straps/ repair fleece and jacket parts as such and for similar pricing conditions.
Feel free to pm , if courier shipping ( extra at cost ) and PP for friends is acceptable for you.

Jennison

The only thing I might consider doing is having the waist and cuffs redone to show less fleece. While that detail may have varied marginally, I’ve been comparing it to the real deal in contemporary settings and less seems more accurate. I’d be willing to bet Shawn would’ve done this for me had I realized it earlier. As an aside, notice how short the boy’s jacket is; I went for this detail myself (length seems all over the place). IMHO, it looks sharp, and also rather unique for that heavy a jacket.

Attachments

• IMG_5617.jpeg
    IMG_5617.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 931
  • IMG_5618.jpeg
    IMG_5618.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Enigma1938

The only thing I might consider doing is having the waist and cuffs redone to show less fleece. While that detail may have varied marginally, I’ve been comparing it to the real deal in contemporary settings and less seems more accurate. I’d be willing to bet Shawn would’ve done this for me had I realized it earlier. As an aside, notice how short the boy’s jacket is; I went for this detail myself (length seems all over the place). IMHO, it looks sharp, and also rather unique for that that heavy a jacket.
I trimmed down the fur also, not a big thing and looks way better.

Jennison

Interesting you mention the small stuff. While it certainly can be fun to mod things, you can easily get snared in details and chase your tail. "Small" is subjective in that sense. Admittedly, to some degree it's also about prolonging the excitement of getting something new. Otherwise, the novelty wears off too quickly. Once everything is corrected on this jacket to my satisfaction, I'm pretty sure I'll need the Aero Pre-War Irvin for the Phony War period. Once I'm convinced I've hit the wall with RAF shearlings, well, I don't have a B-3 and a hands on comparison between AAF and RAF fleece jackets is a must. Why? I have no idea.

Last edited: