• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Everything Vintage Irvins

oose

they are....

Page107.jpg

so there you go, this is the back of the photo. :D

Andrew

oose said:
they are....

Page107.jpg

so there you go, this is the back of the photo. :D

Thanks Oose, at least I got the "Arthur" part correct. Do I get partial points for that?

Baron Kurtz

I'll never understand eBay. The prices dipped for all of three weeks, now they're back up again. Unbelievable.

Fortunately i bought just as the prices bottomed out!

bk

spitfire

I do not buy irvin jackets or trousers anymore.It is all just a ludicrous farce as far as i am concerned now.I won't waste my time with people who buy and sell at those stupid prices either.to me,they are just 8th rate money grabbing self glorifying prats.

Roughwear

spitfire said:
I do not buy irvin jackets or trousers anymore.It is all just a ludicrous farce as far as i am concerned now.I won't waste my time with people who buy and sell at those stupid prices either.to me,they are just 8th rate money grabbing self glorifying prats.

I'm very sorry to hear this. On Ebay anything can happen as regards the price of Irvins. Sometimes you have to pay top money if you want an excellent Irvin.

Andrew

spitfire said:
I won't waste my time with people who buy and sell at those stupid prices either.to me,they are just 8th rate money grabbing self glorifying prats.

Interesting comment. That would refer to about 95% of us here. :shock:

Roughwear

Leadsky said:
spitfire said:
I won't waste my time with people who buy and sell at those stupid prices either.to me,they are just 8th rate money grabbing self glorifying prats.

Interesting comment. That would refer to about 95% of us here. :shock:

Yes, but I guess only 5% of us here collect Irvins! :lol:

spitfire

It is not this forum or the members here i was referring to.my overall impression of this forum and it's members are incredibly gracious,kind,considerate and down to earth.take this jacket that was being sold by Peter Graham in the Buy and Sell section:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2426

Most members here who decide to sell in the buy and sell section in this forum,do so at a decent price.on ebay,they demand from £700 - £900.00 as a basic start price to bid on.It is the highest end prices that are infuriating me,not the middle high prices of between £300.00 to £550.00 etc.
I do apologize if i gave the impression i was lumping members here in my rant.

Andrew

I thought that's what you were referring to, I also find it frustrating watching jackets being offered at ridiculous prices for a BIN- specifically A-2's bought cheaply by Flyboyplus.

However, you can't criticize the market for bidding up a good jacket to a high price- especially if the seller takes the risk to start the bids low with no reserve, such as the two I posted.

fleet16b

fleet16b said:
Today my friend asked me to come over to see an Irvin jacket and pants that he has been offered.
The pants are standard Irvin, excellent condition with only on small tear.
The jacket however is different.
Instead of the standard Irvin size label , it has a small rectangular label that says "Air Ministry , contract # and date( 1940).
The zipper tabs are very plain and also say Air Ministry.
At one time the jacket was electrically heated as the stud on each arm cuff is still present. However all the internal wiring has been removed.
Also the rear black elastic strap is still present behind the collar.
Size wise it is a 44 as it fits me perfectly.
The original owner was an RCAF Lanc Pilot.
Sorry I don't have pictures.
Any comments or further info about this unusual Irvin are welcome
Just n update guys
I ended up owning the jacket by trading it for 4 Gypsy Major engine cylinders.
From all descriptions/pics in this thread, it seems that I have a 1940 IAC jacket.
Label says A.M. with crown, B.81864/40/C.I.D.
In the centre of the label is a 6. (in red)
All zips are DOT , rear collar strap is intact, all zips work excellent
Very close cropped fleece. small type collar as describe in one of Andrews posts.
Waist belt has the standard loops however in pics on the post it shows that at the buckle there is one loop that is sewn on to the strap beside the buckle. Mine has a free floating loop that has never ben sewn.
Inside hanging chain is interesting. Instead of rivets. there is a little metal ring at each end of the chain. These rings are sewn to the jacket directly inline with the collar seam .
Armpit vents are standard triangle patch , with 4 eyelets at the top in a curved pattern, 2 in the middle and 2 at the point of the triangle.
the leather for the collar is quite a lighter colour than the rest of the jacket.
All said, I am realyy happy with this one and think it's a keeper.
I am not sure how to post pics but will try to figure it out some time and post them here.
FYI My friend whom I got this from , still has the Irvin pants and is willing to sell them. They are excellent condition except for a very small 1/4 in hole in one leg.He is thinking about EBay but I thought I would mention them here. If anyone is interested, pm me for his contact info and you can deal with him directly.

Roughwear

From all descriptions/pics in this thread, it seems that I have a 1940 IAC jacket.
In the centre of the label is a 6. (in red).

Fleet, Your jacket was made by Links. This is their first 1940 contract (BTW they had a second contract in the same year the second being H 174370/40/C.I.D) Links Irvins are recognizable by their rather rounded collars. Pictures would be much appreciated.

fleet16b

Roughwear said:

Fleet, Your jacket was made by Links. This is their first 1940 contract (BTW they had a second contract in the same year the second being H 174370/40/C.I.D) Links Irvins are recognizable by their rather rounded collars. Pictures would be much appreciated.

Thanks Andrew. As you can probably tell , I am still learning when it comes to Irvin jackets. Definitely has the rounded collar as you say.
Sorry, I am not sure how to post pictures. I'll have to get someone to instruct me on how.

Fleet16b

Roughwear

fleet16b said:
Roughwear said:

Thanks Andrew. As you can probably tell , I am still learning when it comes to Irvin jackets. Definitely has the rounded collar as you say.
Sorry, I am not sure how to post pictures. I'll have to get someone to instruct me on how.

Fleet16b

Follow this link: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=67

Baron Kurtz

fleet16b said:
fleet16b said:
Inside hanging chain is interesting. Instead of rivets. there is a little metal ring at each end of the chain. These rings are sewn to the jacket directly inline with the collar seam .

Like this? From my coastal command irvin:

CoastalIrvin7.jpg

bk

fleet16b

Here is my first attempt at posting some pics of my 1940 Jacket.
I welcome any info or comments please.
Hope they turn out

P1000379.jpg

Baron Kurtz

You fogot some closed square brackets, but almost there.

fleet16b said:
Here is my first attempt at posting some pics of my 1940 Jacket.
I welcome any info or comments please.
Hope they turn out

P1000368.jpg
P1000370.jpg
P1000371.jpg
P1000372.jpg
P1000373.jpg
P1000374.jpg
P1000375.jpg
P1000376.jpg
P1000377.jpg
P1000378.jpg