• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Everything Vintage Irvins

Grant

Seeing all these photos of Irvin jackets makes me happy fall is on the way. Can't wait to get my Irvins out of storage.

Hawkeye

I took mine out today and tried to use the evening light to my advantage, and got some half decent photographs out of it. Just for referance I'm 6'3 and 200 pounds.

P1010022.jpg

P1010024.jpg

jacketimp

Hawkeye said:
I took mine out today and tried to use the evening light to my advantage, and got some half decent photographs out of it. Just for referance I'm 6'3 and 200 pounds.

P1010022.jpg

P1010024.jpg

nice pose(r)!

Roughwear

Yes, Rich its the work of Wareing and Co. The wide belt loops and large collar rings are one of their trademarks. I own an almost identical one in near mint condition which belonged to a Squadron Leader who flew Mosquitos. BTW what size is yours?

rich

Hi Andrew, I also have a labeled size 6 and based on that I'm sure that this is a 5. It belonged to a T/AG from 825 Sq, flying Swordfish and operating from HMS Vindex in the North Atlantic. Later he went on to HMS Victorious and flew Avengers against the Japanese in the Pacific - he once rescued his aircraft by repairing a hydraulic leak with chewing gum. Don't worry if you're having deja vu, I posted some of this at TFL a while ago now! I'm proud to be the owner of his jacket, it's in a beautiful worn condition and I look forward to wearing it a little when the cold weather arrives.

Baron Kurtz

Pictures of my Coastal Command/Fleet Air Arm Irvin. One of the very few Irvins small enough for me to wear; this must be a size 1, since the size 2 I tried on was too big. Far too warm for such a jacket in London right at the minute. Any hints towards who might have manufactured it?

Front 'n' back. 4 panel construction both. Colour of the leather is accurate. I find that when i use a flash it appears much more of an orangey-brown. This is without flash and shows better the darker brown.

CoastalIrvin1.jpg

CoastalIrvin2.jpg

Side, showing the yella hood.

CoastalIrvin4.jpg

Side showing the panels under the arm and the armpit venting. Also showing the belt attachment area.

CoastalIrvin3.jpg

Aero's terrible repro AM zips on the main and arm zippers.

CoastalIrvin5.jpg

Belt 'n' buckle.

CoastalIrvin6.jpg

And the loop for hanging the jacket - not that i actually use it for that, but for the sake of completeness . . . This pic shows most accurately of all of these the colour of the fleece.

CoastalIrvin7.jpg

bk

Roughwear

Superb CC jacket Baron. Is the main zip an Aero replacement? As to maker it is so hard to say as there were so many contractors and some who sub-contracted their work. The Angora fleece and very narrow belt loops are characteristic of D.G.L London, but I doubt if anyone knows for sure.

Baron Kurtz

Yes, the previous owner had Aero replace all the zippers.

I can't wait to get this into wear again this winter. I took a remarkable amount of abuse on the Tube last winter, but whatever, i'll deal with it. I never wear the hood up, but with it folded like above it makes a wonderfully large and warm collar. This one really is in quite remarkable condition. But for a few dodgy seams i had to re-sew, it's pretty much perfect. It didn't even need any leather treatment.

A photo indicating how the Size 1 jacket fits. I'm 5' 3" or so, 35" chest and 29-30" waist.

Irvin1.jpg

Irvin2.jpg

bk

rich

Hi Baron, I thought the Aero zip looks absolutely fine, at least it's approaching a Lightning. I've seen several Irvins for sale that have YKK zippers as replacements, and that's not pretty! I'm wondering what you mean by abuse on the tube - lighthearted wisecracks - 'savin up fer yer Spitfire mate?' or something more sinister? Your jacket's in great shape, even the fleece has very little wear.

PADDY_M

Beautiful sheepskin HawkEye and you wear it very well!! Baron, not too many folk could get away with that size and it fits you to a tee!! Plus it will be ideal when the temps plummet in the big city over winter - you'll be like toast in that baby. Wear them in good health!!

Baron Kurtz

rich said:
I'm wondering what you mean by abuse on the tube - lighthearted wisecracks - 'savin up fer yer Spitfire mate?' or something more sinister? Your jacket's in great shape, even the fleece has very little wear.

Yeah, that kind of lighthearted wisecrack, though often after the football - my line leads to both Arsenal and Tottenham - even that kind of comment can become a bit more threatening. Lighthearted wisecrack + group of knuckledragging drunks = danger for androgenous Irvin-wearer. Add a fedora and you can see where the tendency is going.

bk

Andrew

The Bastards- how times appear to have changed. I studied Architecture at Nth London Poly in the mid '80's and in those days on the tube (which feel like yesterday) anything went (hair/ clothing) although I have to admit that despite trawling through plenty of vintage markets/ shops I never came across a single Irvin- I guess i'm making up for it now. We had to make do with tatty 1950's- 60's tweed overcoats to survive winter.

I did spot a small one at Camden in 2001 for 40 quid high up on the wall near the stables, but I was passing through and couldn't have possibly carried it home.

Baron Kurtz

Well, people feel the need to comment on everything, it seems. And rather more pretentiously they actually believe that their opinions matter to the rest of the populace.

C'est la vie.

bk

Andrew

rich said:
These are fantastic Andrew, thanks for doing all this. Great accessories too. If it were an auction (!) I'd be after your pre-war 2 panel size 6. It's one of the nicest examples I've seen. The offset seams on the Wareings is interesting and unusual, I have a jacket very similar to this, also in a 5. I know it's been mentioned before, but there's a book in all this somewhere you know........ :D

Rich that one used to belong to Mr Swatland and yes it's beautiful although I admit to prefer to wear the second one- it's lighter weight and a little larger. It belonged to an RNZAF Flight Instructor. WRT the book, Andrew and I have already mapped it out and worked out the "look" although the book itself will remain an idea for a long time to come.

Roughwear said:
These new photos really show your Irvins off very well indeed. Although two are very familiar to me, displaying them as you have shows them at their very best. Have you decided what you will do to the damaged back panel on the Canadian Irvin?

Andrew, I still plan to repair it, just haven't had time to get the data for you so pls don't dispose of all your old dark fleece!

rich

Sorry to hear that Baron. I used to catch the mainline train which stopped at Finsbury Park and on match days it was always heaving with supporters - that mob mentality coupled with booze is never a good mix. They often seem convinced that their
sparkling repartee should be for the benefit of everyone in the carriage. As you say, c'est la vie or perhaps more properly c'est la guerre.

Did you ever venture into 'Blunderbuss' Andrew (Thayer Street). I tried quite a few Irvins there in the late 80's, always too small though. I used to like Saturday mornings at the Military Market, Angel Islington too, Irvins would show up there from time to time - happy days!

Roughwear

Leadsky said:
Rich that one used to belong to Mr Swatland and yes it's beautiful although I admit to prefer to wear the second one- it's lighter weight and a little larger. It belonged to an RNZAF Flight Instructor. WRT the book, Andrew and I have already mapped it out and worked out the "look" although the book itself will remain an idea for a long time to come.

Roughwear said:
These new photos really show your Irvins off very well indeed. Although two are very familiar to me, displaying them as you have shows them at their very best. Have you decided what you will do to the damaged back panel on the Canadian Irvin?

Andrew, I still plan to repair it, just haven't had time to get the data for you so pls don't dispose of all your old dark fleece!

Yes an Irvin book is definitely on the cards, but to do it properly will require quite alot of archival work in the UK. I still have the fleece for you Andrew.

fleet16b

Today my friend asked me to come over to see an Irvin jacket and pants that he has been offered.
The pants are standard Irvin, excellent condition with only on small tear.
The jacket however is different.
Instead of the standard Irvin size label , it has a small rectangular label that says "Air Ministry , contract # and date( 1940).
The zipper tabs are very plain and also say Air Ministry.
At one time the jacket was electrically heated as the stud on each arm cuff is still present. However all the internal wiring has been removed.
Also the rear black elastic strap is still present behind the collar.
Size wise it is a 44 as it fits me perfectly.
The original owner was an RCAF Lanc Pilot.
Sorry I don't have pictures.
Any comments or further info about this unusual Irvin are welcome

PADDY_M

Early war DGL London RAF Sheepskin belonging to F/O Hood (sadly executed by German Secret Police in Holland). Condition is immaculate. Size 5. (more pics/info on the other site).
IrvingDGL009.jpg

IrvingDGL004.jpg

rich

Paddy, I feel a considerable obligation to let you know that this particular Irvin jacket is about to disintegrate, probably within the next 4 to 5 weeks, just before the onset of the cold weather coincidentally. It very sadly has an unusual form of the little-known Irvin rot, which is very apparent if you know what to look for. I am however, completely selflessly, prepared to take it off your hands. So I am urging you to sell it to me immediately, so I can errrr......... cure it with my unique anti-rot agent...which I have developed exclusively..... ahem...... by myself... at home. You know it makes sense Paddy, act now before it's too late! :D