• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ethics on the VLJ

Thomas Koehle

Gents,

got home yesterday evening and found another package from a fellow forum-member with some goodies inside ...

Obviously it was "Navy Day" coz i got 3 USN-jacket in one lot this time from Burt @B-Man2

wTyRXiH.jpg

Again - as usual - every single jacket was exactly as described condition wise and version/age wise - even better than i expected.

Before this "deal" (was the 3rd or 4th time i got some items from Burt) i got jackets from @Chandler , @bazelot , @Pilot , @Flightengineer , @ties70 and some other folks as well.

I have never been disappointed - i never felt "screwed" in any respect but i always enjoyed the honesty and integrity of every single gentlemen i did some small bizz before.

This fact as well as the fact how people deal with each other in the different threads/comments/texts is always remarkably friendly and courteous. No matter of age, experience on the forum, nationality or religion.

My dad always told me: don't always point out the bad things in your life but also mention if you find something good (don't know whether i nailed the trans exactly but you get the point)

Well - herewith i did what i was told by my dad ...

Keep going gents!

Always a pleasure to "hang out" with you!

Thomas

mulceber

Lovely thread - maybe it should be a sticky? :)

I'll throw in my experiences as well. Probably the two members I've bought the most from have been @Silver Surfer and @bazelot . In both cases, they've been a pleasure to deal with. Some really top quality originals and repros on sale and, in most cases, these were jackets I never would have gotten a chance to own otherwise.

I'll also mention @ties70 as well. Haven't bought any jackets from him, but he's done a couple of custom patches and jacket art for me and the experience was always fun: never "oh, you want this unit? Here you go, done." Lots of back and forth and discussion of what would work and make the jacket look especially cool.

Also not jackets, but I've had a number of transactions with @jeremiah - every time, he went above and beyond: I bought a Buzz Rickson A-11 watch, and he sent along a NOS watch strap to go with it. I bought a journal from him, and we not only spent a lot of time going back and forth on what paper to use and how many pages could reasonably fit in it, but it arrived wrapped in a flannel Alden shoe bag. Every transaction has been like that.

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Thanks Thomas for your kind words. The same can be said about you and the other regulars VLJ members that I've dealt with over the years , whether it's about buying jackets or just helping out with info or knowledge. This is a very friendly place and most of the members are real gentlemen and honest people united by common hobby and intersts.

coolhandluke

Can’t buy class and it’s here in abundance

This exact sentiment crossed my mind a few days ago. After a year and a half, I am still very much an outsider here. Thankfully, I've never felt unwelcome or been treated with anything less than class and respect.

This is the ONLY discussion board that I have visited that has been 99% devoid of the rude, snobbish, or egotistical behavior that you typically encounter on the web. That's quite the feat considering that VLJ is mainly composed of collectors that obsess over minor details in regards to historical correctness.

One of my favorite things about VLJ is that you're every bit as likely to be complimented on a 5* or Avi jacket as you are a GW...and that means something. Especially to those who are beginners in the hobby.

Last edited:

mulceber

One of my favorite things about VLJ is that you're every bit as likely to be complimented on a 5* or Avi jacket as you are a GW...and that means something. Especially to those who are beginners in the hobby.
This. I love seeing GW, RMc, Buzz jackets, they're all knock-outs, but I'm really happy that the budget jackets get love and appreciation as well. Variety is the spice of life. Back when Heisenberg was here, I actually thought his collection was pretty boring - no variety and no originals.

Nickb123

Yup, quality folks all around without a doubt. You can just tell. I know this place can be intimidating when new, because there’s just so much knowledge and it’s just an uphill battle to even be able to conversate with a person who is so knowledgeable on the minutia of this subject, I’ve always wanted to be able to contribute and further the collective knowledge but I’m afraid I just have not entered that realm, even after years of study!

But the general trend I see here is less of a “here’s a hug, and all the info you need” and rather more of a “the info you search for is here to find if you work to discover it.”

Idk if that makes sense or is too far off the premise of this post. Case in point I love you all haha.

Lord Flashheart

Most of us probably start here looking to gain a bit of knowledge and others looking to share and talk about it. I've learnt a lot and members here have been helpful in pointing out places to look. They've also been supportive rather than disdainful when trying to trying to put my own learning together. You do have to work to teach yourself but that makes it so much more rewarding.

And we're interested in jackets so we appreciate what members share whether vintage, repro or something else. Can't say better than "thank you".