• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

English 1930s Motorcycle / Cycling jacket.

PADDY_M

Gents - I've just saved a leather motorcycle jacket from certain death, lying in the dampness of an abysmal junk shop that had mountains of clothes just piled high and full of damp from the rain water leaking into the store. This jacket was falling apart, had mould and the guy who had the shop just didn't really know what it was. On inspection, I thought the leather was still pretty strong, no tears in it or rot. The lovely pre-war Lightning Zip was strong, just needed reattaching to the leather, as did the pockets and front leather French brace. It needed buttons (I have some 1930s caramel ones) and some TLC. When you show these orphans THE LOVE then they in turn will love you back in spades! A size 40 and the leather is light and buttery soft like the Cape Skin used for the American A1. Note how similar the pockets are to the later A2 jacket (in size and 'general ' style). I deliberated about replacing the elasticated waistband (it's like the fabric used for the American G1), but I decided to keep it as it is original to the jacket and the lack of elasticity does not detract from the overall jacket.

Roughwear

You have made a great job of the restoration work Paddy. I hope you are intending to wear the jacket.

PADDY_M

Thanks Gents. As you'll all know already, back in the day, motorcycle jackets and flight jackets were pretty interchangeable, especially in the times of pre-war private purchases. Then post war, many surplus flight jackets such as A2s and Irvins were bought up by 'bikers' as seen in many photographs.

STEVE S.

Nice save Paddy! My Mrs. used to roll her eyes when I would come in dragging some old, stiff, moldy mess of a jacket, but doesn't seem to bother her after seeing what they turn into with a little TLC.

Skyhawk

Excellent work! Love the look of this one. Those casein buttons are really nice. A real rarity and being from the correct era, they add a nice finishing touch to the jacket.

PADDY_M

Garylafortuna said:
Beautiful jacket, wonderful restoration. Thanks for sharing. I'm confident that it once belonged to T E Lawrence.

It certainly fits that interwar period of motorcycling!! Thank you.

PADDY_M

Would it be a crime if I had a knitted welt collar (like an A1) added to the collar area? I have some spare welt and original 30's buttons (same as ones I've used on the jacket to restore).
Something I've been giving serious consideration to.

Technonut2112

Would it be a crime if I had a knitted welt collar (like an A1) added to the collar area? I have some spare welt and original 30's buttons (same as ones I've used on the jacket to restore).
Something I've been giving serious consideration to.

Nicely done restoration... :) While the jacket may look good with a knitted collar, these period jackets are getting more and more difficult to find these days, and should be preserved in as close to original condition as possible IMO. Now, if the jacket had a button-front instead of a zip, the prospect would be VERY tempting to me, but I would more than likely still leave it original. ;)