• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC RW B-6 put through the washing machine

m444uk

This jacket dates from 2000 and was getting a bit grubby so;

Cold wool cycle no spin.

A small amount of washing powder. Make sure you use a special wool formulation. Biological ones rot wool over time and bleach out colours .

Leave to dry away from heat. In my case this took 4 days !

The result was a clean jacket with no colour bleed I could see. Perhaps just a tad into the white canvas pockets.

Shrinkage on this 44r jacket yes: arms - 1/4" , shoulder -1/2" , body length about -1/3" , flat across the chest -1/2"
These early Eastman B6s are cut large and boxy so this improved fit for me.

(the wool is a bit more tan than shown in the photos. The exposed fleece has however faded in the light over time. Cap dates from 2004)

IMG_0942-2.jpg

IMG_0946-2.jpg

m444uk

The appearance didn't really change. The fleece knots up a bit more from straight. In fact it made me realize many originals have been washed too at some point. It's quite distinctive.
The key is to avoid hot water. These jackets are pretty strong, I've worn it loads.

John Lever

m444uk said:
The appearance didn't really change. The fleece knots up a bit more from straight. In fact it made me realize many originals have been washed too at some point. It's quite distinctive.
The key is to avoid hot water. These jackets are pretty strong, I've worn it loads.
I washed an old ELC B3 in cold water on a woollens wash. It completely disintegrated. It was a really lovely old jacket quite worn, but with no obvious defects.
I must have washed 10 jackets over the years (15) and suspect it was me that first started it here. Beware, it is not always safe and the results are unpredictable. If I do it again I will use some kind of loose weave bag to contain the jacket to minimise stress. When the drum moves the heavy sheepskin is twisted and pulled, this is when tearing occurs even on small panels.

m444uk

I've found washing a jacket can stop squeaking. I put an old thick steerhide ELC Luftwaffe in the machine on a normal 15 minute quick cycle.
It used to make a lot of noise that I couldn't get rid of with leather conditioner. Two applications of Pecards on the cleaned leather and bingo almost no noise :D
The leather is really supple. Some patience is needed. It takes months for Pecards to fully work it's way into the leather fibres.
In terms of shrinkage very marginal. With a bit of wear I think it's back to the original measurements. Note: this jacket was made of chrome tanned steer. An almost indestructible combination. You may not get the same results from a lighter weight veg. tanned horsehide.

Hawkeye

Would soaking in a tub with the proper wool detergents get a similar result without he risk of tearing from a drum washer?

m444uk

Hawkeye said:
Would soaking in a tub with the proper wool detergents get a similar result without he risk of tearing from a drum washer?

I expect so.

I've got a pretty sophisticated Bosch washing machine with a linear motor. On the wool cycle the drum is stationary for a much of the time and then changes direction quite smoothly so I can't see it doing damage. On a heavy weight fleece I'd probably wrap the jacket in a sheet. For years I've been washing training shoes/sneekers, including white leather ones, with my normal load without any problems.

Anyone washed an original A2 ? The amount of dead human skin etc. coming out would probably be quite shocking :shock: