• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Rough Wear B-3

Grant

Here's a couple pics of my buddy's B-3. The jacket has a riveted stubby Talon zip - nice touch for an early B-3.

KirpelI.jpg

KirpelII.jpg

Roughwear

Victor-Silver Surfer, by any chance? Looks like he's been decorating, hopefully not wearing that great B-3. ;)

John Lever

deeb7 said:
John Lever said:
I can see other jackets lying or hanging around.

Does that remind you of home, John?

It's a very nice looking B-3.
I meant that rather than painting while wearing the B-3, Vic was having some kind of photo shoot or showing his collection to his friends.
BTW he is rather a dark horse and lets on far less than he knows....

Falcon_52

I wish I could have gotten that zip on my B-3. The Crown is alright but for me, the best zipper is the old Talon (Hookless) type. Very nice, indeed.

Noel

Roughwear

I think the 30s Talon zipper is a great idea. All the originals I have seen from this the first RW B-3 contract from 1941 had deco Talons with the longer rectangular puller. ELC used to use an original 1942 style Talon zip on these B-3s which I prefer to the Crown on the grounds of durability on a B-3.

Silver Surfer

the "hookless" zipper came from us country store. this outfit sells crappy repro talons, but, as you can see, the "hookless" is dead on. us country store is listed on the bay. as andrew mentions, the vast majority of the red skin b-3s had hershey talons, but i chose the "hookless" having seen a coupla pix of them on early red skins. the removed elc crown zipper will be used for?????

Silver Surfer

no, not i. replaced by a master tailor. reckon i could have done the work. that is, if i had the ability to do it right, lol. btw: crown zippers were indeed used on shearlings during the war, but only by aero. i have seen them on seal aero b-3s, and seal aero b-6s. oddly though, never on an aero d-1. yet more myterioso wwll jac stuff.

Roughwear

I don't think a Crown zipper was as robust as a Talon on heavy shearling jackets and perhaps for this reason so few makers used them on their B-3s. I believe RW used them very occasionally on their second B-3 contract (42-5111). There is a picture of one with a Crown zip on JC's CD and I believe the zip is original to the jacket.

Silver Surfer

agreed, crowns are not robust enough for the heavy use on a b-3. i missed the crown on the rw b-3 on johns cd. so there it is, yet more mysto jacket stuff. seems that the rule for these oldies, is there are no rules, just generalities. btw: having looked at the new member, jon's a-2 collection, i found myself wiping the drool off of my work station. hahahaha, holymoly.