• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Monarch Vs HLB

Pete17

Hi guys, after nearly ten years I'm in the market for another A2 jacket. I've put on a couple of pounds and my old ELC RW1401 is a bit tight these days. For reference I'm 6'5" and 220lbs.

The Eastman jackets in extra long have fit me well over the years and I'll be getting another one.
I really like the HLB model and it seems they have a bit more movement in the shoulders. The collar stand is always a nice touch too. The zip looks like a great quality one.
I've always liked the Monarch model too - It has an interesting history and looks smart. Doesn't seem to have the little extra touches that the HLB has though?

Their colour is listed as both being "Havana brown". The HLB looks like it has a more russet shade than the browner Monarch. Is it a trick of the camera or do they vary greatly in colour?

Does anyone here own the Monarch with the 352nd modifications? Any thoughts on this one?

If anyone here has owned either jacket I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Pete

Last edited:

Roughwear

I have owned examples of both jackets. The HLB is longer in the body than the Monarch and therefore would fit you better. I believe they are now both made from the same colour Italian hh and to check you could ask for samples from Eastman.

Roughwear

The HLB has features not found on other A2s and for this reason I refer it to the Monarch. My favourite of all ELC jackets is the iconic 1933 Werber.

Pete17

Thanks for the comments mate, much appreciated.

If I get the Monarch it will have the 352 mods.
Wish I could get both...
I'll take a harder look at the Werber too.

Cheers

Roughwear

I have owned four ELC Werbers and my current one was made last year from the newer hh. I particularly like the caramel knits. I have personalised the zip by installing an original 1932 Talon zip puller. It is my daily wearer!

Pete17

After much deliberation I've ordered the Monarch.
Should have it in a few weeks.
Thanks to those who took the time to reply.

cheers