• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC House A-2s - help needed...

Smithy

Hello all,

Just looking for a little help. I am looking to fork out for an ELC House A-2 (HH in seal) and was wanting to now what the fit is like on these. I am 6' 1'', 13 stone and have a 40'' chest. The sizing calculator thingy on ELC's site reckons I'm a 44 regular but i think that's a load of bunkum. I have an ELC Irvin in 42 extra long which is damn good. Just really wondering if I need a 40 or 42 and whether I need the long or regular sizings. I don't want baggy, baggy but at the same time don't want a super tight fit. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Tim

johnwayne

Hi tim
My experience suggests ELC house jackets are more 'blousey' than 'original maker' jackets and are pretty much modern fit measurements albeit my house A2 is now some years old, although a 1401 RW ELC I have is the same fit - both 42 and both fit well and are comfortable. They do droop on the shoulder though, whereas my GW Doniger is a 44 but fits better/truer/higher on the shoulder and is less blousey - GW's are known to be a more true to original fit than ELC's.

Maybe others who've bought a newer house ELC can say if Gary has trimmed them in anyway? Im surprised at 6'1" you say the extra long is a good fit but then it is subjective as to how we each like to wear them vs comfort.

I'd suggest you send Gary your measurements particulalry if you have a jacket already that you like the fit of, then take them from that. How your Irvin sizes up to an A2 Im not sure but remember that the knitted waistband on an A2 should sit/fit around your waist, not 'hang' like an Irvin or sit on your hips!! Have a look at many of the pics that appear on threads here to see how you would like it to fit and base your sizes around that - Im sure other will add thier comments that will help you.

cheers
Wayne

269sqnhudson

They seem trimmer now than even 3-4 years ago.

The Cable A-2s I had were a 44 (bought 18 months ago) and fit but the 44 house style was way too small so I now have a 46 I bought earlier this year.
There is no comparison between this 46 and the size 46 I still have that I bought in 2001. That one is considerably bigger

Having bought a fair few Eastmans over the years I can honestly say that they no longer run particularly big (well not a whole size big anyhow) Downsizing probably isn't a good bet anymore.

269sqnhudson

Smithy said:
Hello all,

Just looking for a little help. I am looking to fork out for an ELC House A-2 (HH in seal) and was wanting to now what the fit is like on these. I am 6' 1'', 13 stone and have a 40'' chest. The sizing calculator thingy on ELC's site reckons I'm a 44 regular but i think that's a load of bunkum. I have an ELC Irvin in 42 extra long which is damn good. Just really wondering if I need a 40 or 42 and whether I need the long or regular sizings. I don't want baggy, baggy but at the same time don't want a super tight fit. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Tim

oh and definitely get a Long. I'm only 6 foot and had to get a long in the Cable. There is initially a feeling of slightly long sleeves but it vanishes very fast when the sleeves start wrinkling a bit. Also your relatively small chest size (compared to me) will mean a stock regular 40 will be quite a lot shorter than a 44/46 like mine and I needed a 44 Long despite being shorter than you!

omarco

269sqnhudson said:
They seem trimmer now than even 3-4 years ago.

The Cable A-2s I had were a 44 (bought 18 months ago) and fit but the 44 house style was way too small so I now have a 46 I bought earlier this year.
There is no comparison between this 46 and the size 46 I still have that I bought in 2001. That one is considerably bigger

Having bought a fair few Eastmans over the years I can honestly say that they no longer run particularly big (well not a whole size big anyhow) Downsizing probably isn't a good bet anymore.

Imho this is good advice. I recently had to size up myself, oversized ELC's are a thing of the past.

Smithy

Thanks boys for the help.

So it sounds like a 42 Long might be the go? Or a 40 Long?

John Wayne, I got my Irvin extra long as I didn't want a super short one. I'm fairly tall and as it turned out the 42 extra long for the Irvin was perfect. I was living in Norway at the time and didn't want my kidneys to freeze!

omarco

Smithy said:
Thanks boys for the help.

So it sounds like a 42 Long might be the go? Or a 40 Long?

John Wayne, I got my Irvin extra long as I didn't want a super short one. I'm fairly tall and as it turned out the 42 extra long for the Irvin was perfect. I was living in Norway at the time and didn't want my kidneys to freeze!

I'm not sure about the house A2 but we are about the same build and the 42 long Star is a perfect fit on me.. the 40 was too tight around the shoulders and chest and not nearly long enough.. 42 long is just right. The best and safest thing to do though is email them and ask for the exact measurements of the model you are looking for.

Smithy

omarco said:
I'm not sure about the house A2 but we are about the same build and the 42 long Star is a perfect fit on me.. the 40 was too tight around the shoulders and chest and not nearly long enough.. 42 long is just right. The best and safest thing to do though is email them and ask for the exact measurements of the model you are looking for.

Thanks Omarco. I'll whip an email off to Gary today but by the sounds of it the 42 Long might be the ticket. The shoulders are one thing that worried me as I have fairly broad shoulders. Don't want the thing to feel like a straitjacket!