• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC goatskin Cable two years on

Peter Graham

I posted photos of the jacket this time last year after owning it for a year. I thought folks might be interested in seeing it after two years of pretty intensive wear. As mentioned in last years thread, my idea was to wear the jacket as if I had been issued it and not paid for it. I threw everything at it in it's first year but avoiding deliberate misuse. I stopped short of painting my house in it but I've fallen off my bike, lain under my car, it's been splashed with gasoline, diesel, brake fluid and soaked several times plus many other adventures ! That was last year and it's been used in much the same way this year including a fair bit of tree felling and chain saw work. Over this period it's developed even more character and a few faults too. The lining around the neck is wearing in exactly the same manner as an original and both cuffs have developed holes, one through both layers and the other just on the inside, nothing serious though. The repro Talon is as good as new. The stitching is still perfect and the thread has faded nicely. Another update this time next year.

001.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

005.jpg

003.jpg

010.jpg

Cobblers161

Looking good Pete.

Like ya poster too, reminds me a little of the Ospaaal solidarity prints, I managed to my hands on a couple of the Cuban numbers.

dmar836

Best test yet! I've inadvertently splashed 100LL on my A-1 and changed the car oil last week. I hope I can get as good of a result.

Dave

Andrew

Looking good in the uniform Pete, black T jeans A-2 and goatee. I've got a preference for HH but the patina on your jacket looks sensational, plus I also beleive in wearing the heck out of one jacket.

Tim P

you cant baby them. and you can never fake genuine wear.
Kudos for a great way to wear a tough jacket as it should be rather than as a piece of tailoring.

I wish I had snagged the last run of goat before they went to horse. Had one in my hand at Duxford, funds were tight enough to cause me to make the long walk back to the rack with it..

A

Anonymous

Compare:
009.jpg

to an original:
015-62.jpg

and then the Goodwear goatskin 27753:
collar_base3.jpg

You can see how very very off the Eastman pattern is at the collar. The details are just incorrect! The original Cable/27753 had a distinct swoop down from the collar and the collar starts 1/2 way or more into the top of the windflap- not before the windflap as the Eastman has it. The zipper tape is not wide as on the Eastman but ratther almost covered by the lining. Check out how exactly Goodwear captures this- and how incorrect the Eastman is. I don't mean to knock your jacket which actually looks very good worn by you and which is aging nicely- I just feel compelled to put out inaccuracies.

A

Anonymous

Here's an actual Cable goatskin showing the same distinct collar/ zipper intersection:
cable_neck.jpg

Weasel_Loader

Great looking jacket Peter. You sure can't beat good quality goat for comfort. Then again, I've never owned a horse hide long enough to have it soften up like my current goat. ;)

better duck

Great pooling patina, Peter. Wish all of ELC goat did that. I have their M422A in goat, and that goatskin still looks brandnew despite the jacket having been worn quite often for the last ten years or so.

Roughwear

Although ELC have not got all the details correct on this jacket, the goatskin has aged nicely and it could easily be mistaken for an original. Thanks Peter for sharing pics of your two year old Cable.

Peter Graham

Glad you like it guys. I don't know how some of you can own multiple repros. I've worn this jacket intensively over the past few years to get it half approaching the way I want it. I've had to neglect a lot of my other jackets just to get a bit more wear. Thanks for your observations Jeff. It's amazing that ELC could get it so wrong. You're talking to the wrong guy though. I'm not a fan of repros. Originals are my bag and I only bought it after owning several original A-2's and realising that I couldn't wear them in the manner I would like. I've got a high quality, good looking approximation of an A-2 and these little details don't matter to me. It's not like it's got blousy sleeves and a two piece back. I'll leave the little nuances to those who enjoy that sort of thing and I'll carry on wearing the hell out of my ELC A-2 with a smile on my face

Falcon_52

Looking good Peter! I've treated my Werber much the same way (working on the motorcycle, various automotive fluids, pouring rain, etc.) and it keeps on trucking. It will look even better next November.

Noel

A

Anonymous

Peter:
Jeff. It's amazing that ELC could get it so wrong. You're talking to the wrong guy though. I'm not a fan of repros. Originals are my bag and I only bought it after owning several original A-2's and realising that I couldn't wear them in the manner I would like. I've got a high quality, good looking approximation of an A-2 and these little details don't matter to me. It's not like it's got blousy sleeves and a two piece back

I hear you! Before Goodwear I felt that inaccuracies and all the jacket I wanted most was the Eastman Cable as it had relatively realistic leather and a good "look". You really do need a repro to wear for everyday life.