• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC A-1 capeskin - how does it wear?

Dr H

Has anybody any experience of the most recent ELC capeskin A-1 in regular everyday wear (and I mean not cosetted - using it in rain/shine, rolling it up/throwing it on the floor, etc.).

I'm interested to know how it looks after honest wear - how does it crease/wrinkle? How robust is it? Does it lose the glossy appearance over time (has anybody washed one or treated the surface chemically to get rid of the shiny appearance?).

Thanks in advance.

Ian

asiamiles

Dr H said:
Has anybody any experience of the most recent ELC capeskin A-1 in regular everyday wear (and I mean not cosetted - using it in rain/shine, rolling it up/throwing it on the floor, etc.).

I'm interested to know how it looks after honest wear - how does it crease/wrinkle? How robust is it? Does it lose the glossy appearance over time (has anybody washed one or treated the surface chemically to get rid of the shiny appearance?).
I'm a bit puzzled by this. Why would you want to treat an A-1 in such a way? Why roll it up and throw it on the floor? I think ELC's A-1 looks pretty much how you would want an A-1 to look straight out of the box...I've not noticed a particularly "shiny" appearance that needs getting rid of.

A-1's weren't and aren't very "robust" jackets. You can see from photo's of original how capeskin wears and I would think that's how Eastman's A-1 will wear too over time. Unlike an A-2, the A-1 is a jacket you need to look after and be just a little bit careful with.

Dr H

I might have phrased it a little better Miles but it was late. It's not something that I'm planning to do (i.e. Kick it around the house or abuse it), but I wear my jackets regularly in lots of weathers, in and out of cars (seatbelts rubbing), dog walking in the woods/brambles, etc. I've requested samples of cape to gauge the weight, but it'll still be a 'new' offcut, rather than weathered/worn.
Most images on the Forum tend to be pristine or with low wear, perhaps rotated with other jackets. I am keen to see an older after more wear. I realise that it's not as strong/abrasion resistant as horse or goat, but that's still a subjective comment - the scientist in me has no evidence to go on.
As far as finish goes, I'm comparing the ELC surface with the recently posted GW and preferring the latter, more satin. However, it's a thinner hide...
Hope this clarifies?
Best
Ian

johnwayne

Very interesting topic Ian as Im keen to know the same - an A1 is my next likely buy too.
JC/GW had a nice one on his sale page (might even still be there, it has for some time!) but despite being a 44" John reckoned it would be a tad small for me even though Im normally a 42" and the 44" Dongier I bought off him instead fits perfect!! Perhaps it's the cut, whereas I tried on a 44" ELC at Duxford last year and it felt good but yes, quite soft by comparsion to an A2 hence my interest here. I was also keen on the Olive green version in Buzz Ricksons fall catalogue but Gary Eastman put me off it plus it was almost twice the price of his house version. Whilst I think I perfer GW for no reason other than 'the look' of it, I will probaly go for an ELC because of the wait time, questionable sizing issue and the geographical ease of getting my hands on one but whichever, they are damn fine looking jackets that personally I would probably not wear on a daily basis, more for special occaisons!!! To each his own of course and at the risk of controversy I think it edges the A2 in 'coolness' - I can't believe I'm saying that given my adulation of everthing A2!!!!!!!

cheers
Wayne

Persimmon

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7897

Ian
I had a ELC A1 and wore it in all conditions
I sold it to a fellow member and the link to the topic above was his posting.

I loved the gradual wear of the jacket and sometimes regret letting it go (so much so I have been thinking of buying another !!) Jacket Madness never lets you go.

Still you can't wear all your jackets all the time and thats why I passed it on.

Its much tougher than you imagine and you will have no regrets if a puchase comes along.

kkochheiser

I have a current version ELC A-1 that gets relatively little wear, unfortunately because it is just a little small for me (size 44) especially in the sleeve length. While it hasn't seen the wear of my A-2s over the past couple of years, it has been out quite a bit and has even been sprinkled on a time or two. The finish on the capeskin is different than the HH of my experience and doesn't show "wear" so much as get burnished on the high spots and develop grain more like "dress" leather which gives it a very nice, subtle patina, for lack of a better description. Again, mine hasn't been treated very roughly and YMMV. I love the jacket but wish it was a size larger.

Kent

zoomer

I've worn my Eastman frequently, tho not full-time, in the fall and spring. Worst I've had happen to it was a dark oily spot (probably salad dressing :oops: ). This seemed to fade over time but not go away completely. It's quite tolerable in appearance.

It came to me slightly used, so the gloss to the finish was minimal. I don't notice that it wrinkles badly, either.

I took a slow fall off a bike onto a sidewalk in this jacket. It showed no apparent scuffing afterwards. But don't try it yourself!

Dr H

kkochheiser said:
I have a current version ELC A-1 that gets relatively little wear, unfortunately because it is just a little small for me (size 44) especially in the sleeve length. While it hasn't seen the wear of my A-2s over the past couple of years, it has been out quite a bit and has even been sprinkled on a time or two. The finish on the capeskin is different than the HH of my experience and doesn't show "wear" so much as get burnished on the high spots and develop grain more like "dress" leather which gives it a very nice, subtle patina, for lack of a better description. Again, mine hasn't been treated very roughly and YMMV. I love the jacket but wish it was a size larger.

Kent

PM sent

John Lever

zoomer said:
I've worn my Eastman frequently, tho not full-time, in the fall and spring. Worst I've had happen to it was a dark oily spot (probably salad dressing :oops: ). This seemed to fade over time but not go away completely. It's quite tolerable in appearance.

It came to me slightly used, so the gloss to the finish was minimal. I don't notice that it wrinkles badly, either.

I took a slow fall off a bike onto a sidewalk in this jacket. It showed no apparent scuffing afterwards. But don't try it yourself!
Paul,
I splashed salad dressing on my jacket also, on the chest in a very obvious place. I removed it with a dab on type dry cleaning fluid. It's completely gone.

Dr H

johnwayne said:
Very interesting topic Ian as Im keen to know the same - an A1 is my next likely buy too.
JC/GW had a nice one on his sale page (might even still be there, it has for some time!) but despite being a 44" John reckoned it would be a tad small for me even though Im normally a 42" and the 44" Dongier I bought off him instead fits perfect!! Perhaps it's the cut, whereas I tried on a 44" ELC at Duxford last year and it felt good but yes, quite soft by comparsion to an A2 hence my interest here. I was also keen on the Olive green version in Buzz Ricksons fall catalogue but Gary Eastman put me off it plus it was almost twice the price of his house version. Whilst I think I perfer GW for no reason other than 'the look' of it, I will probaly go for an ELC because of the wait time, questionable sizing issue and the geographical ease of getting my hands on one but whichever, they are damn fine looking jackets that personally I would probably not wear on a daily basis, more for special occaisons!!! To each his own of course and at the risk of controversy I think it edges the A2 in 'coolness' - I can't believe I'm saying that given my adulation of everthing A2!!!!!!!

cheers
Wayne

Hi Wayne
Thanks - John Lever confirmed that the Vermont Espresso A-1 on the GW site went sometime ago.
I was also guessing 44 in a GW to fit a 42 modern (and Steve's cape A-1 looks marvellous), but the geography, wait and possible import duties are all part of the downside...
I love my Perry, but the A-1 is certainly the more elegant jacket IMHO.
Cheers
Ian

Dr H

Persimmon said:
http://vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7897

Ian
I had a ELC A1 and wore it in all conditions
I sold it to a fellow member and the link to the topic above was his posting.

I loved the gradual wear of the jacket and sometimes regret letting it go (so much so I have been thinking of buying another !!) Jacket Madness never lets you go.

Still you can't wear all your jackets all the time and thats why I passed it on.

Its much tougher than you imagine and you will have no regrets if a puchase comes along.

Thanks Alan - I'd forgotten that thread in the encyclopaedic A-1 section. The images of the jacket after wear are really informative.
Certainly looking very keenly at the right A-1 as I'm sold on the design.
Cheers
Ian

Dr H

Thanks to all for offering advice and contributing comments on the longevity/robustness of the capeskin.
Above all, it seems that the key is to ride a tricycle and avoid mayo or salad cream to get the most out of it... :lol:

Dr H

As a footnote, I've now secured an ELC A-1 - with thanks to Kent for the opportunity to buy.

Thanks also to John Lever for allowing me to examine and try his beautiful ELC A-1, I now know that the 44 is my correct fit in this pattern and I am looking forward to receiving Kent's 44 A-1 in due course.

Will post photos in due course with a review/commentary.

What a comfortable and stylish jacket...

Dr H

I did, as a Forum member gave me a heads up to FL post. I had also chased it (via email) to Germany last year after contacting John Lever to enquire whether he still owned it.
I was in contact with the current owner as well. This time I contacted JC as well who suggested that this one was JL's jacket. Fortunately, JL warned me off it in terms of price and fit. This one would have been just too small for me.

Dr H

johnwayne said:
I will probaly go for an ELC because of the wait time, questionable sizing issue and the geographical ease of getting my hands on one but whichever, they are damn fine looking jackets that personally I would probably not wear on a daily basis, more for special occaisons!!!
Wayne, if the ELC A-1 I wore last night is typical you won't be disappointed. When I get my hands on mine it'll have to be a daily jacket. So comfortable...