• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Editing posts-request to change the time window

Persimmon

Vcruiser said:
I disagree. Jeff could and would be outrageous..but you left out the last part of David's remark. I don't recall Jeff ever resorting to dirty tricks of changing past posts to make himself come across better later. In fact that was probably the last thing on his mind. We've had several members here(over the years) who could be considered outrageous..but never stooped so low as to reconfigure a thread to their favor after the fact. Most of this happened over two years ago when there seemed to be several threads usually flaming up on the same subjects over and over again. It got to the point where a few members just couldn't contain their ire..and would resort to almost any unfair actions just to stir the pot. It became such a problem...that member management and self moderation then became only a continuing ever present argument. The few rules of this forum were ignored by a select few members ...moderators were belittled and berated..until things were finally changed. I can sure understand why management would be reluctant to restore much of anything. There was at least one old jacket forum that killed itself with wars that eventually became nuclear with little chance of ever changing. Chris is familiar with these problems of the past...and as he stated in his announcement sure doesn't want to risk the VLJ mirroring any of those old problems.
I don't know why these jacket and clothing forums can become so ruthless and volatile..but they can.

Should we all be judged on the behaviour and poor efforts of the past.
And at best of a select few members at that.

They had a World War in 14-18 (USA 17-18) and people didn't learn.
They had a World War in 39-45 (USA 41-45) and lessons were learnt.
Yes there has been conflicts but we have enjoyed no global war since.

People learn if chances are given even in much more deadlier issues than this topic or do we just close up shop because of a few sad and probably long gone individuals.

Forums throughout the world in all types of interests and hobbies have unlimited editing and its working.

I guess what I am trying to state is that I believe the members of this Forum are more decent and certainly more responsible than in the past and perhaps we deserve the same chance.

I hope for simple sanity and a solution that offers both common sense and fairness.
Then we can stop putting up posting on editing and get back to more interesting topics such as Jacket reviews etc

Rutger

I disagree. Jeff could and would be outrageous..but you left out the last part of David's remark....
......I don't know why these jacket and clothing forums can become so ruthless and volatile..but they can.

I did read David's remark entirely.

Right up to and including the occasional strong disagreements this forum remains rather well-behaved, I've seen many forums that are full of primitive garbage. Must be reasons for that....

TankBuster

30 minutes is more than enough time and more than most military/militaria related forums allow. Honestly, everything has been running tip top since the change was made over a year ago.

omarco

i think it works perfectly as is. I don't like it when posts can be messed about with - if new information arises i prefer it to be kept in order, especially when there are disputes.

Persimmon

Roughwear said:
Yes, 24 hours is the way to go IMO.

24 Hours

Not 24 hours and 1 secod ??

23 hours. 59 minutes 59 secs

1 hour
30 mins

Quibble Quibble

Unlimited and make it simple and easy and fair for all.

omarco

in a linear type forum where views are expressed in response to the one above it makes little to no sense when posts are edited afterwards - they just become a series of statements rather than the conversations that work so well on here.

Whats the problem with committing to what you write? if you change your mind whats wrong with saying so in a following post?

half an hour is plenty enough time to correct diction or typo's. changes of mind or extra information can be added in sequence.

Persimmon

I give up !!!!

I am beginning to believe that there are people on this Forum who still believe the Earth is flat.

"We fear change "

Roughwear

omarco said:
in a linear type forum where views are expressed in response to the one above it makes little to no sense when posts are edited afterwards - they just become a series of statements rather than the conversations that work so well on here.

Whats the problem with committing to what you write? if you change your mind whats wrong with saying so in a following post?

half an hour is plenty enough time to correct diction or typo's. changes of mind or extra information can be added in sequence.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with this. People do not always spot typos within 30 minutes. When you post pictures and wish to add to them later in the same post you are stuck! If you advertise a jacket for sale and sell it you can't revise the title to say it is sold. until one member deleted all his posts there really was not a serious problem here with unlimited editing. With a 24 hour editing window this situation could not be repeated for posts over 24 hours old. Sure sometimes people would edit their post when they change their mind but others can tell this has happened because each time a post is editied indicated on the post.

omarco

Roughwear said:
omarco said:

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with this. People do not always spot typos within 30 minutes. When you post pictures and wish to add to them later in the same post you are stuck! If you advertise a jacket for sale and sell it you can't revise the title to say it is sold. until one member deleted all his posts there really was not a serious problem here with unlimited editing. With a 24 hour editing window this situation could not be repeated for posts over 24 hours old. Sure sometimes people would edit their post when they change their mind but others can tell this has happened because each time a post is editied indicated on the post.

I think people editing their posts after the event is more annoying than the occasional typo.

One other option is to leave it to be editable until someone posts after you, i have seen this method on another forum and it works well.

Roughwear

I'm not sure the technology here is sufficiently sophisticated to prevent editing after someone else has posted. Moreover if someone posts immediately as happens on popular threads there would not even be 30 minutes to correct mistakes.

a2jacketpatches

omarco said:

Agreed, if anyone cares. I enjoy popping in and out of here as I find time and follow as if I'm listening to a conversation or a part of one. I just go to what I read last to see what's new. Would extended or unlimited editing mean that I'd have to go back and re-read everything every time in order to follow? Will there be some type of alert that says so n so changed his story 15 posts ago or will the edited version be on the last page I was reading?
Sorry about all the questions, but I'm not sure how this all works.

My time is very limited and just want the straight skinny on this, if it's too hard to be a part of, I won't bother in most cases.

ButteMT61

Persimmon said:
I give up !!!!

I am beginning to believe that there are people on this Forum who still believe the Earth is flat.

"We fear change "

Oh come on! Really? In conversation with other people in life (not the internet) you don't rewind, repair/delete/fix, and move forward. You keep the conversation going. That does not preclude one from changing opinions, thoughts, or direction. Unlimited editing makes a mess of a lengthy thread. If I add new pics to the END of a thread, people are way more likely to see them than if I went back to post #3 of 100 and added them there.
This whole thing is ridiculous. Why the need to go back and alter so much? How about thinking before you post? Typos may be embarrassing, but nothing has been destroyed by a few of them in a thread/post.
I have to wonder about someone(s) that need this feature so badly...the earth is hardly flat if you don't want unlimited editing. At some point, when I submit documentation at work, it goes. If I need to make changes, I create a new version of the document. Let's talk jackets for cryin' out loud. :lol:

Vcruiser

ButteMT61 said:
Persimmon said:
I give up !!!!

"We fear change "

Oh come on! Really? In conversation with other people in life (not the internet) you don't rewind, repair/delete/fix, and move forward. You keep the conversation going. That does not preclude one from changing opinions, thoughts, or direction. Unlimited editing makes a mess of a lengthy thread. If I add new pics to the END of a thread, people are way more likely to see them than if I went back to post #3 of 100 and added them there.
This whole thing is ridiculous. Why the need to go back and alter so much? How about thinking before you post? Typos may be embarrassing, but nothing has been destroyed by a few of them in a thread/post.
I have to wonder about someone(s) that need this feature so badly...the earth is hardly flat if you don't want unlimited editing. At some point, when I submit documentation at work, it goes. If I need to make changes, I create a new version of the document. Let's talk jackets for cryin' out loud. :lol:

Exactly.. ;)

ButteMT61

And to beat the horse more completely...
I've posted (like most) something I later regretted - if not in content, in spirit. In the case I can't edit/delete, I simply alert the admin and ask for such assistance. Not a big deal. We're all human - we post/speak out of emotion sometimes. Limited editing windows IMHO force one to think a little more before hitting "submit" :)

Persimmon

Vcruiser said:
ButteMT61 said:
Persimmon said:
I give up !!!!

"We fear change "

Exactly.. ;)

Exactly .....

I keep repeating over and over lets just talk jackets etc but all we seem to do is argue over such a simple matter.
Unlimited editing - whats so hard to get !!

I see to be living in the era of the Flat Earth Society

Rule 1 - There is no Editing.
Rule 2 - We do not talk about "Editing"
Rule 3 - We fear Change