• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Editing posts-request to change the time window

Roughwear

I find the 30 minute window to edit posts restricting and sometimes frustrating. Often I will do more research to add to a previously submitted post but can't add to it or can't correct inaccuracies in my typing! I would like the edit facility to be extended to 24 hours. Any thiought on this folks?

John Lever

I would prefer to be able to edit my posts in Buy/Sell, simply so any new info. or price/postage costs could be added or altered.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
Often I will do more research to add to a previously submitted post ...

Simply post again with the additional info, and if you don't find the typo within a half hour, does it really matter?

I think it's working fine, I don't have to remember to quote. :cool:

Persimmon

I would prefer unlimited time restrictions on editing.

As a member of other Forums (i think particulary car forums here) we have this facility and it works superbly.

No complaints from other Forum members indeed only praise.
No hassles from moderators either.

Its also useful when you want to update a thread or manage it.

For example a current ongoing thread is about jacket contracts and numbers etc.
Imagine it we had some facts and figures on this.
But of course this hobby means more facts will of course come to light.

If it was started it could be managed and updated through the original poster when new evidence came to hand but all the time it offered a clear understanding of the subject and did not mean that a Forum member had to scroll endless posts to find updates etc.

Just one example of a type of use that unlimited time editing offers.
Another is updating classified postings etc

An often used arguement against this is that it can disrupt the understanding of a post thread.
I have to say from all experience this is not the case.

30 minutes is a nonsence.
Open it up properly please

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Persimmon said:
If it was started it could be managed and updated through the original poster when new evidence came to hand but all the time it offered a clear understanding of the subject and did not mean that a Forum member had to scroll endless posts to find updates etc.

... but if the new information was simply edited in, the thread wouldn't become new, or current again, it would remain buried. Remember that the Search doesn't work well on this forum, and that many of the thread titles give no idea of the contents.

... and we did have problems here. There was the one member, now departed, who would habitually post something outrageous, wait for others to rip into him, and then edit out most of his original post. Another who, one by one, deleted all his posts, and then left the forum in a sulk, leaving threads that were now impossible to follow.

RCSignals

Editing old posts in long threads isn't a good idea, people usually don't find them. New posts are looked at.

Rutger

deeb7 said:
Persimmon said:

There was the one member, now departed, who would habitually post something outrageous, wait for others to rip into him, and then edit out most of his original post. Another who, one by one, deleted all his posts, and then left the forum in a sulk, leaving threads that were now impossible to follow.

Those are the exact reasons, and I agree with the time limit. But was it rottenman who would edit his original posts, thereby making his repliers look like overreacting fools? That'd be a crap attitude and totally invalidates old threads as a basis to judge people by what they have written in the past.
It's like saying things and later being able to prove people overreacted.

With any presentation (meeting,book,seminar,class etc) research is finalized and then published. Same should be so in a forum.
Especially if you're the starting thread you can do that with ease.
Updating with later research through replies does make it easy to discriminate between old and new information.

For the buy/sell section it wouldn't be bad to lift the time window as far as the title is concerned (does the time window also include the title?) because SOLD or NO LONGER FOR SALE in the title makes for quicker reading than having to dig into the thread and read the latest update.

What also happens from time to time is double posting , cleaning up and leave a thread that is empty, but you can't see it's empty until you clicked on it (empty thread with 40 or 50 views).

Persimmon

I am a member of 5 different Car Forum's.

All have unlimited editing.
Everyone of these sites works well.

It seems Forum Members and Moderators can make the system work and find what they want.
No one ever complains (well about this subject !!) and peace and love is in the air !!

Then here at VLJ every so often a selection of members - old and new. respected and beginners all ask for amendments to the editing policy.

But the system is see to be perfect as it is ......

Crazy

Persimmon

Rutger said:
deeb7 said:
Persimmon said:

There was the one member, now departed, who would habitually post something outrageous, wait for others to rip into him, and then edit out most of his original post. Another who, one by one, deleted all his posts, and then left the forum in a sulk, leaving threads that were now impossible to follow.

Those are the exact reasons, and I agree with the time limit. But was it rottenman who would edit his original posts, thereby making his repliers look like overreacting fools? That'd be a crap attitude and totally invalidates old threads as a basis to judge people by what they have written in the past.

With any presentation (meeting,book,seminar,class etc) research is finalized and then published. Same should be so in a forum.
Updating with later research through replies does make it easy to discriminate between old and new information.

For the buy/sell section it wouldn't be bad to lift the time window as far as the title is concerned (does the time window also include the title?) because SOLD or NO LONGER FOR SALE in the title makes for quicker reading than having to dig into the thread and read the latest update.

What also happens from time to time is double posting , cleaning up and leave a thread that is empty, but you can't see it's empty until you clicked on it (empty thread with 40 or 50 views).

Some guys really seem to like to stick the knife into members who now can't reply !!

Rutger

Persimmon said:
Rutger said:
deeb7 said:

Some guys really seem to like to stick the knife into members who now can't reply !!

well, I'm just asking a question to get a clear picture and not sticking knives to anyone, because I read old threads, but if I can't trust old threads, then what?

Persimmon

Rutger I am not advocating "messing around" with posts and changing the format/contents etc to make the following replies of additional posters appear foolish.

If you truly believe that to have happened that is disappointing but that is surely the exception to the rule.

Indeed few and far between more likely knowing and respecting the members on this Forum
Please don't get paranoid about that issue.

There are genuine and useful reasons to have a longer /unlimited editing policy.
The members here are all good guys.
Lets start treating them as such and trusting them to manage the policy correctly.

Sorry.
When there are more important issues (jackets, books, films, planes, etc) to discuss, to continually have to plead for a common sense policy is, I repeat, crazy.

Rutger

Not really getting paranoid, in the mean time I checked a few old posts, their edits are marked, and the time line of edits relative to follow-up postings can be seen, so let's assume those (few) edits were not for twisting words.

The general picture will undoubtedly be that people will stand for what they have written.

Steve27752

Persimmon said:
I would prefer unlimited time restrictions on editing.

As a member of other Forums (i think particulary car forums here) we have this facility and it works superbly.

No complaints from other Forum members indeed only praise.
No hassles from moderators either.

Its also useful when you want to update a thread or manage it.

For example a current ongoing thread is about jacket contracts and numbers etc.
Imagine it we had some facts and figures on this.
But of course this hobby means more facts will of course come to light.

Just one example of a type of use that unlimited time editing offers.
Another is updating classified postings etc

An often used arguement against this is that it can disrupt the understanding of a post thread.
I have to say from all experience this is not the case.

30 minutes is a nonsence.
Open it up properly please

I AGREE, OPEN UP EDIT FUNCTION......NO LIMIT!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Rutger said:
But was it rottenman who would edit his original posts, thereby making his repliers look like overreacting fools?

No, it wasn't Jeff, and that was a bit mean.

CBI

every other forum I am on has unlimited editing. I would vote for that........

Rutger

deeb7 said:
Rutger said:
But was it rottenman who would edit his original posts, thereby making his repliers look like overreacting fools?

Me mean? I merely asked a straightforward question without second thoughts or hidden agenda on your remark that says
There was the one member, now departed, who would habitually post something outrageous,
To me the remark could easily relate to Jeff as he is the only member to have been banned since like at least two years or so, and who many considered outrageous.
I think it's ok to ask people to clarify what they say.

Anyway, the editing limit doesn't bother me even though at first I thought it an odd decision.
If the forum is also valued as an archive a limited editing time slot is convenient. Stretch it up to two days or a week.
To me, it would be more valuable if images would stay in threads even when they are removed from the websites they referred from.
Numerous images are gone.

edited to see what happens if I edit.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Rutger said:
deeb7 said:
Rutger said:

Me mean? I merely asked a straightforward question without second thoughts or hidden agenda on your remark that says
There was the one member, now departed, who would habitually post something outrageous,
To me the remark could easily relate to Jeff as he is the only member to have been banned since like at least two years or so, and who many considered outrageous.

Jeff posted as rotenhahn ... calling him rottenman was a cheap shot.

Vcruiser

Rutger said:
deeb7 said:
Rutger said:

edited to see what happens if I edit.

I disagree. Jeff could and would be outrageous..but you left out the last part of David's remark. I don't recall Jeff ever resorting to dirty tricks of changing past posts to make himself come across better later. In fact that was probably the last thing on his mind. We've had several members here(over the years) who could be considered outrageous..but never stooped so low as to reconfigure a thread to their favor after the fact. Most of this happened over two years ago when there seemed to be several threads usually flaming up on the same subjects over and over again. It got to the point where a few members just couldn't contain their ire..and would resort to almost any unfair actions just to stir the pot. It became such a problem...that member management and self moderation then became only a continuing ever present argument. The few rules of this forum were ignored by a select few members ...moderators were belittled and berated..until things were finally changed. I can sure understand why management would be reluctant to restore much of anything. There was at least one old jacket forum that killed itself with wars that eventually became nuclear with little chance of ever changing. Chris is familiar with these problems of the past...and as he stated in his announcement sure doesn't want to risk the VLJ mirroring any of those old problems.
I don't know why these jacket and clothing forums can become so ruthless and volatile..but they can.

Rutger

deeb7 said:
Jeff posted as rotenhahn ... calling him rottenman was a cheap shot.

Ok, I see what you mean.
I would do that to almost of my replies to him as well, because he did the same to some others. Just teasing him a bit.
But I can understand that my teasing habit may have come across as a cheap shot, though not meant as such in this particular thread.
Maybe I should have included that I regret him being gone.

ButteMT61

Unlimited editing leaves the door open for bad things. Not paranoia, reality. It's humans. Sometimes people second guess their stupid posts and want to go back. In that case, PM the site admin and ask for assistance. But unless someone quotes my posts, I can go back and change the content 180º to make subsequent replies look ridiculous, leaving no record of what happened. As a safety, I always quote posts I reply to if there's any chance it might matter down the road.
It's not babysitting, it's a matter of integrity. It would be nice to not have to worry about a-holes, but that's not reality - especially online. Being anonymous makes this sort of behavior easy.
If one needs to edit after the window was closed, post a followup. Best of both worlds, but just MY 2¢. I have mod'd a couple online forums, and participate in many. It's about 50/50 on this topic. The ones that close off editing avoid blowups.