• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay timewasters

asiamiles

I've recently noticed a sharp increase of bidders on eBay winning auctions and then refusing to pay. This rarely used to be a problem but obviously without the threat of negative feedback they can literally get away with anything even "trying it on" and asking for discounts after winning the auction thinking they've got the seller over a barrel...in a way I suppose they have, as the seller either accepts or loses the sale; I always choose the latter.

Few of these have been jacket buyers but I just had one, an Andrew Nguyen eBay ID 69_sbk so I thought I'd warn others here so they could add him to their blocked bidders list - maybe others could offer up the ID's of other timewasters or troublemakers and offer, if not exactly protection, at least a warning that eBay feedback used to give? We could even have a sticky thread of some kind of "bad traders" list like some other forums compile, that would list both bad sellers and buyers.

havocpaul

I think it would be a great idea, there are now repeat offenders although eBay does sometimes (should be always) remove a buyer after several non-paying bidder files. It is almost entirely due to the ridiculous feedback rules where the buyer can now get away with messing about. I have had a great increase in very late payers and with feedback I obviously can only leave positive but in the comments I write "Item won on .......(date), paid on ......(date)" so anyone reading their score can at least see they aren't good payers: so far eBay haven't removed any of these. I don't recall any jacket-buyers causing me problems but several with militaria in general.

jacketimp

asiamiles said:
I've recently noticed a sharp increase of bidders on eBay winning auctions and then refusing to pay. This rarely used to be a problem but obviously without the threat of negative feedback they can literally get away with anything even "trying it on" and asking for discounts after winning the auction thinking they've got the seller over a barrel...in a way I suppose they have, as the seller either accepts or loses the sale; I always choose the latter.

Few of these have been jacket buyers but I just had one, an Andrew Nguyen eBay ID 69_sbk

where is seller located..........country?

so I thought I'd warn others here so they could add him to their blocked bidders list - maybe others could offer up the ID's of other timewasters or troublemakers and offer, if not exactly protection, at least a warning that eBay feedback used to give? We could even have a sticky thread of some kind of "bad traders" list like some other forums compile, that would list both bad sellers and buyers.

asiamiles

havocpaul said:
I think it would be a great idea, there are now repeat offenders although eBay does sometimes (should be always) remove a buyer after several non-paying bidder files.

I think they rarely, if ever do this anymore. What proof do I have? Well, if you go to "buyer requirements" you can block bidders with a certain amount of "strikes" in a set time period; the simple fact that buyers are allowed to have all these strikes surely indicates that eBay no longer bans them.

Buyer, Neh ... United States.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... llFeedback

Yes, the new eBay system makes him look like a model eBayer. You just cannot tell anymore.

asiamiles

havocpaul said:
I agree, timewasting sellers too, as previous topic, especially those that repeatedly end listings early!
Yes, this also, although a list of such sellers might actually encourage people to contact them and ask if they will end their auction and sell to them direct! :lol:

havocpaul

Fair point and it might include some forum members which might be a bit awkward! Maybe wise to keep any list to actual non-payers to save any chance of arguments/accusations etc. It would then be up to the individual if they add such buyers to their 'banned' list on eBay.

jacketimp

havocpaul said:
Fair point and it might include some forum members which might be a bit awkward! Maybe wise to keep any list to actual non-payers to save any chance of arguments/accusations etc. It would then be up to the individual if they add such buyers to their 'banned' list on eBay.

how about requiring members to disclose their ebay ids..........

havocpaul

jacketimp said:
How about requiring members to disclose their ebay ids..........

Can't make such a requirement, I think we know most of our fellow forum members' eBay i-d's anyhow. It's not the idea of any witch-hunt, just to give a heads-up to the true offenders that might have slipped the knowledge of fellow jacket sellers on eBay.

jacketimp

havocpaul said:
jacketimp said:

Can't make such a requirement, I think we know most of our fellow forum members' eBay i-d's anyhow. It's not the idea of any witch-hunt, just to give a heads-up to the true offenders that might have slipped the knowledge of fellow jacket sellers on eBay.

liberte'.......egalite'........fraternite'........

bienvenue les citizens au forum.........

asiamiles

havocpaul said:
jacketimp said:

Yes, there's really no need though most members flag their auctions here so it's not like their eBay ID's are some kind of secret. Quite the opposite, as I think members feel more confident buying from other members rather than from complete strangers.

Anyway, let's see if one of the mods can create a sticky "bad buyers" or "bad traders" thread.

Sid Vintage

[/quote]

Anyway, let's see if one of the mods can create a sticky "bad buyers" or "bad traders" thread.[/quote]

Sounds good. I'll gladly copy and paste my massive blocked bidders list direct from Ebay. A list of epic proportions that includes Senicko from years back and also the scum bag from Thailand who dinged me for $120 using Paypal charge back the other day.

mazeta

havocpaul said:
I agree, timewasting sellers too, as previous topic, especially those that repeatedly end listings early!
Although it's an annoying practice for sellers to pull a listing early, the lack of ethics of such an action is debatable.

mazeta

asiamiles said:
havocpaul said:
jacketimp said:

Yes, there's really no need though most members flag their auctions here so it's not like their eBay ID's are some kind of secret. Quite the opposite, as I think members feel more confident buying from other members rather than from complete strangers.

Anyway, let's see if one of the mods can create a sticky "bad buyers" or "bad traders" thread.

Creating a such a list would be a good idea, but then the forum must also allow for such disputes to me resolved publicly in order for the true standing of the member to be correctly represented. In other words, what's to stop a whiny, lying buyer/seller with an axe to grind against another buyer/seller?

havocpaul

mazeta said:
havocpaul said:
Although it's an annoying practice for sellers to pull a listing early, the lack of ethics of such an action is debatable.

Just had it done again...was bidding on this B-15 (for my friend in Romania) and woke this morning to find bid cancelled and item ended..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0298417906

asiamiles

mazeta said:
Creating a such a list would be a good idea, but then the forum must also allow for such disputes to me resolved publicly in order for the true standing of the member to be correctly represented. In other words, what's to stop a whiny, lying buyer/seller with an axe to grind against another buyer/seller?

Agree. It should be simply but clearly stated in a single sentence what the buyer (or seller) did wrong. eg. failed/refused to pay, claimed back money from Paypal, canceled bids and withdrew item from sale (this is something that eBay f/b could not warn against since the transaction would not be completed) etc. Then each person can decided what action they wish to take.