• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Scam?

m444uk

asiamiles said:
m444uk said:
I'd report him to ebay for the 'buyer trying to renegotiate after auction closes' offence. You can do that by email. Include a copy of the ebay "deal" lie.
My guess is your going to be on the receiving end of a credit card charge back for non-delivery. He is stringing you along for time. Clear any funds you have in your Paypal account.
Thanks for the reminder. Just done that; best to be on the safe side.
Since several people on here do seem to be able to e-mail eBay perhaps someone could post an address? I did try googling but nothing came up re. the offence which you mention.

It's under rules/reporting members/report a member. Make sure your logged in.

You can also go through paypal.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/pay/avoid-problems.html has an email link under credit card problems.

hacker

It's interesting reading all this and sad to think how eBay has so changed....I can remember when sellers had a fighting chance with dishonest buyers, now your totally on the defensive every step of the process. I hate selling on there anymore and has been said, the feedback system has turned into a sad joke....

asiamiles

Just got the latest message. Oddly he was able to do what no one on here has, and provide an actual address for eBay, though I doubt it works; it's probably just the address on the top of the messages he has received from eBay which you cannot actually reply to. Bizarrely, he is still carrying on with the "eBay will refund you after you pay me" line which is something that is never going to happen. Maybe eBay Customer Service are as confused as us and thinking "Who is this nut?!" and trying to get rid of him by saying anything?!

I have to say this is starting to get tiresome now. Maybe this guy has some kind of psychological problem? I actually can't think of another reason why he would keep on with this.

"I tried to forward the message from Karla C. in ebay Customer Support to you by inputting your ebay address ([email protected]) but that didn't work. Because I don't have your direct email address, you must contact ebay via email at the following address: [email protected]

You can also contact ebay by clicking on the Customer Support link at the upper right corner of an ebay page.

When you contact them, please be sure to include Service Request Number 1-2355704949. This is the SR number set up by Karla C.

It may also be helpful to include the Service Request number which was originally set up by Renz, the Customer Support Supervisor to whom I spoke on 1/9/12. That SR number is 1-2337341183.

Ask them to send you a copy of the message that Karla C. sent to me on 1/11/12. That's the message that I tried to forward to you.

In that message, Karla C. promises to refund to you the $28.67 fee that was charged to you on 12/15/11 after you issue the $28.67 credit to me. It also states that you must contact ebay Customer Support in order to make this happen.

I trust that you will proceed as ebay instructs. There's no risk to you and it will be a great help to me as your customer.

I will go to the Post Office today to make sure that they do not return the package.

Hang in there. If all goes according to plan, this matter will soon be resolved."

asiamiles

m444uk said:
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/pay/avoid-problems.html has an email link under credit card problems.
If you click on it it just brings up a message box, not an actual e-mail address.

I just sent him the following as I'm dying to see what eBay supposedly said to him.

"That is not my e-mail address. You should have my address on the initial confirmation e-mail from eBay informing you that you won the auction.

Why don't you simply copy and paste any messages you have received from eBay into a message and send it to me?
That would be helpful as I will know exactly what eBay have said to you prior to contacting them."

RCSignals

Miles you may not be going far enough into that CS link. If you do you will end up at the page I posted a screen shot of, which has the email link.

Did you try that email address he sent? It looks real but may be a no reply address

Anyway in my experience eBay doesn't work this way.

asiamiles

RCSignals said:
Miles you may not be going far enough into that CS link. If you do you will end up at the page I posted a screen shot of, which has the email link.

Did you try that email address he sent? It looks real but may be a no reply address

Anyway in my experience eBay doesn't work this way.
I don't know any company works this way! I think the eBay address is, as you say, a "no reply address."

No I don't get the e-mail link; below is a screenshot of what I get when I go to the same page as you. I can contact eBay but I'm hesitant to report for any wrongdoing when he hasn't as yet done anything...as the moment he's an irritant and so far hasn't "misused" buyer protection. The odd thing is that he is actually encouraging me to contact eBay. None of it makes any sense.

ebaycspage.jpg

RCSignals

You need to go further Miles.

Do this

click on customer support then customer support drop down option

Click on contact eBay tab

click on "account" then "report a member"

click on "Problem with a buyer"

then the "send us an email" option

asiamiles

RCSignals said:
any luck with that Miles?
Yes, thanks. I managed to get to the page with the e-mail eBay option. Boy, they certainly keep it well hidden. Just waiting for the buyer to fwd me the e-mails/messages supposedly sent to him by eBay. Then I shall check their veracity and if eBay did indeed suggest what he claims I shall question why they are willing to bend over backwards to pay someone's import tax, which should be none of their concern.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
I already linked to his feedback on Page 1 of this thread. His ID is timquay. His buying record does not suggest an interest in flight jackets.

After the post from tcwu above, I looked at the buyer's feedback ... much of it is from recognised flight jacket sellers.

RCSignals

Miles I think I would send eBay an email now and cite those reference ticket numbers the seller gave. This will at least get you a foot in the door.

asiamiles

Well, here is supposedly the letter eBay sent the buyer. I have to say, if this is for real, I'm flabbergasted.

ebayletter.jpg

asiamiles

I wonder how eBay are supposed to "see" that the refund has been issued? And I wonder if, after reviewing policy again, they will realise they cannot refund me? :lol: Anyway, I will be composing a very probing letter to eBay and look fwd to seeing what they have to say. To be honest though, no matter what they say or advise, I do not plan to pay the buyer a cent!

Vcruiser

I just don't get it...but maybe I haven't followed this thread's posts closely enough.
Just 'why' would/is eBay willing to help a buyer pay custom charges?..even if unforseen?
...and ...why then can't eBay contact the seller of this specific auction to inform him of their offer/ resolution to the buyers dispute?
Sure looks like goobilygok from someone extremely desperate to retrieve a few bucks...to me :?

Van

asiamiles

Vcruiser said:
I just don't get it...but maybe I haven't followed this thread's posts closely enough.
Just 'why' would/is eBay willing to help a buyer pay custom charges?..even if unforseen?
...and ...why then can't eBay contact the seller of this specific auction to inform him of their offer/ resolution to the buyers dispute?
Sure looks like goobilygok from someone extremely desperate to retrieve a few bucks...to me :?
Everything you say makes total sense, unlike all that's coming from the buyer and possibly eBay. If the buyer were spinning a tangled web though, why would he be encouraging me to contact eBay when it would lead him to being 'found out'? But the only thing that the buyer seems concerned about is the twenty-odd dollars. He's never once indicated any interest in actually taking possession of the jacket, and I will be very surprised if he collects it.

asiamiles

I just sent the following message to eBay:

"On Dec 15 an item I listed was purchased by timquay (real name Tim Cleavenger), who paid for it by Paypal on Dec 19.
The item was promptly shipped to the US where it was held in Customs, before being released and delivery attempted on Jan 7. The buyer was out and a note was left.
The buyer went to the PO to collect the item on Jan 9 where he was informed he needed to pay import duty. He declined to do so.
Instead he contacted eBay. He informed me that eBay told him that to help pay for HIS import duty that eBay would refund me my final value fee, though this would only be done AFTER I pay this amount to him. And only AFTER I have paid him, will he go and collect the item and pay HIS fees. He has given me 2 SR numbers from eBay customer service reps he has spoken with about this matter:
1-2337341183 and 1-2355704949.
I find all this very strange on a number of levels:
1. Why would eBay wish to help a buyer pay import tax?
2. If eBay wish to do so, why not simply credit the buyer?
3. Why should I be expected to pay the buyer first? If eBay wish to proceed with this strange idea, surely the first step should be that buyer should collect the item, pay his fees and confirm safe delivery of the item. Then after eBay refunds me the final value fee, I will forward this refend to the buyer.
I look forward to hearing from you regarding this curious incident."

asiamiles

Reply from eBay:

"Important: This is an automated message. Your email hasn't been read.
Please contact us using the phone number below..."