• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Scam?

ciddu

Miles,
yesterday I checked ebay.com quite thoroughly, and I couldn't find the "email to us" contact, just the telephone number, as you said. In fact there is a mail contact on ebay.it (italian website), so maybe it may be there on other ebay national websites as well, I don't know.

On this webpage

http://ocs.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...rtingflow=1&query=1562&issue=105&topicid=1562

the procedure to report Misuse of Ebay Buyer Protection begins, but I don't know if it leads to web contacts or telephone calls... I didn't follow it through, since I don't have any complaint to file so far.
Please, Keep us all informed about the proceedings: if a buyer gives troubles to goodwilling sellers it is a matter of interest for everybody here, and it's good to know the way to get such things solved.

ausreenactor

Miles..

The communication via eBay is quite strange. The reluctance of the buyer to pay the duties is solely on him. He could start an item not received dispute via Paypal if he chose to, and Paypal would take months to verify it. Then checking the details of the item, Paypal will only see an absence of delivery. The follow on could be a pain. Your proof of shipment would save you in the long run however it is a big inconvenience.

The issue with duties is currently in my lap at the moment. A $1500 mint WW1 British Tanker Veil is sitting at DHL awaiting $249 in duties. No input or follow up via eBay though. Have the invoice to pay before they will release it. There is no tracking number on eBay for the item. Good luck with it...

Couchy

ausreenactor

RCSignals said:
I feel for you Couchy. i really dislike DHL

It is not really a bother. It is for a CPL I let use my eBay ID while he was in Afghanistan, and he shipped his
new toys to my address. This way was easier than using his ID, his Paypal and then my address for postage.
Shev has kitted out a White Scout Car with a complete in boxes and bags NOS radio set, antennas, skate rails,
ammo bins, spare parts and enough add ons to turn his $35000 jigger into the most complete one of its type
in the country. And he just bought a Smokey and the Bandit repro Trans Am? More money than sense? Diggers?
No wife, no kids, just a load of cash and toys. He is not into jackets. He is not normal like us.

Couchy

asiamiles

Two messages today; I'm starting to wonder if this guy is living in some sort of alternative reality...or does he have some pull with eBay that mere mortals does not have?!

"I spoke to Carla in Customer Service at ebay and she will be sending you an email regarding their intention to issue a refund of the $28.67 fee which was charged to you on 12/15/11 and encouraging you to proceed to issue the refund to my PayPal account.
If you proceed according ebay's instructions, the matter will soon be resolved."

"I received an important message from Karla at ebay customer service and I want to forward it to you, but I'm having trouble forwarding it through ebay's messaging system Please provide your direct email address so that I can foward it directly to you."

ausreenactor

asiamiles said:
Two messages today; I'm starting to wonder if this guy is living in some sort of alternative reality...or does he have some pull with eBay that mere mortals does not have?!

"I spoke to Carla in Customer Service at ebay and she will be sending you an email regarding their intention to issue a refund of the $28.67 fee which was charged to you on 12/15/11 and encouraging you to proceed to issue the refund to my PayPal account.
If you proceed according ebay's instructions, the matter will soon be resolved."

"I received an important message from Karla at ebay customer service and I want to forward it to you, but I'm having trouble forwarding it through ebay's messaging system Please provide your direct email address so that I can foward it directly to you."

Sounding "fraut with frautness"

RCSignals

Having trouble forwarding the eBay message in the eBay system? Not likely. He'll just fake it in an email to your regular address.

Follow those links I gave you and send eBay a message yourself.

Block him from ever bidding in your auctions again at least.

asiamiles

RCSignals said:
Having trouble forwarding the eBay message in the eBay system? Not likely. He'll just fake it in an email to your regular address.
Surely a scammer would know he already had my e-mail address from when eBay informed him of his auction win? Nothing makes any sense!

dmar836

Will this package be returned to you for sure? If so, let this drama go and get it back. This is crazy! Tell him to go pay and pick it up or you will report him immediately.
He may not have a scamming history but he may also be building credibility with a "clean" account. No scammer would operate with a feedback of all negatives.
Be careful, I once had a looser that delayed sending items to me with every nutty excuse you could think of just to get past 30 days. That loss of time screwed everything up when communicating with Ebay.
Don't let him put you off like this any longer if you can help it. I would just say you are getting no such info from Ebay and add "pick it up or forget it."
JMO,
Dave

asiamiles

dmar836 said:
Will this package be returned to you for sure? If so, let this drama go and get it back.
I don't really want it back. I have his money and the jacket is being held by the USPS until he pays for it; interesting that he not only seems to hold sway with eBay but he can also get the PO to hold onto something longer than they would do normally!

As crazy as it all is, and I am concerned that something untoward might happen, I think it's just best to play along with him and keep the tone "normal". I will send him my e-mail address and eagerly await the "important message from Karla at ebay customer service"; I wonder if it will be along the lines of "please tell the seller the pay you" ?! :lol:

A

Anonymous

Any friend from the States who has little time toi kill could call ebay on behalf of asiamiles since it's toll free call (is it?)

Sure sounds strange but the guy is giving names and references so you can actually check.

So what is the case in US? No import duties?
Anyone knows for sure?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
PLATON said:
So what is the case in US? No import duties?
Anyone knows for sure?

There is duty, but on items sent by mail, and of relatively low value, it is rarely collected.

RCSignals

Generally, as I understand, one is allowed up to $200 value for goods incoming by mail or other carrier before duty is applied.

m444uk

asiamiles said:
dmar836 said:
Will this package be returned to you for sure? If so, let this drama go and get it back.
I don't really want it back. I have his money and the jacket is being held by the USPS until he pays for it; interesting that he not only seems to hold sway with eBay but he can also get the PO to hold onto something longer than they would do normally!

As crazy as it all is, and I am concerned that something untoward might happen, I think it's just best to play along with him and keep the tone "normal". I will send him my e-mail address and eagerly await the "important message from Karla at ebay customer service"; I wonder if it will be along the lines of "please tell the seller the pay you" ?! :lol:

I'd report him to ebay for the 'buyer trying to renegotiate after auction closes' offence. You can do that by email. Include a copy of the ebay "deal" lie.
My guess is your going to be on the receiving end of a credit card charge back for non-delivery. He is stringing you along for time. Clear any funds you have in your Paypal account.
Think about opening another Paypal account as your account will be frozen. You can have several Paypal accounts linked to the same ebay id.

ciddu

Miles,
It's good to know that the money is actually in your pocket, but in the end I would expect a try for a "item non delivered" paypal/ebay chargeback as well.
I'm sure you already thought about it, but I would collect any possible evidence that the parcel is actually held by the post office, waiting for him to collect it, and that he's not doing it refusing to pay customs fees. IF the "postmaster link " he sent to you is real, that could help to get such evidence (if it's a fake providing fake evidence, well, it's a fake HE produced, and that could work against him...)
That should void any possible claim from the buyer's side, after some annoying litigation procedures.
Well, It seems that the whole forum is rising to back you up!
Waiting for the next episode of the series...

asiamiles

m444uk said:
I'd report him to ebay for the 'buyer trying to renegotiate after auction closes' offence. You can do that by email. Include a copy of the ebay "deal" lie.
My guess is your going to be on the receiving end of a credit card charge back for non-delivery. He is stringing you along for time. Clear any funds you have in your Paypal account.
Thanks for the reminder. Just done that; best to be on the safe side.
Since several people on here do seem to be able to e-mail eBay perhaps someone could post an address? I did try googling but nothing came up re. the offence which you mention.