• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBay 'ones that got away'

MikeyB-17

I'm sure we've all missed out on items on Ebay by the narrowest of margins. My worst was a pair of ELC A-10 gloves which went for £51-my max. bid was £50! Still bugs me today, especially knowing how much they go for now! Normally I find that whenever I miss out, something better comes along, but not this time!

Rutger

MikeyB-17 said:
... which went for £51-my max. bid was £50!....

If it's any consolation, the winner may well have set max at a £100 or more just for wanting it so much, and the winning bid would still have been £51, the increment having been £1 at that time.
I do that from time to time when I see a patch that's very rarely up for sale. I started doing that when one got away.......

ADC

If one really wants to win an item on Ebay, the only way to go is to always put your max best price on at the very last seconds. Preferably a sniper bid at 3 seconds before close. Don't give bid chasers the chance to overtake you. If you win you will only pay the base increment over the next highest bid and if you lose you can console yourself that you had your best price in. So no crying over spilt milk. Getting sucked in to the thrill of the auction chase will in most cases force you to go over your rational set limit. Many times I had my best price in and won the item for hundreds less than I was prepared to pay. Nothing worse than putting an early high bid and then watching bid chasers overtake you or force you to pay more than you could have.