• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman sizing advice

316thTCG

Hi all,

I'm looking for assistance on Eastman sizing. I have a Gibson and Barnes 42T historic hh A-2 and am looking to "upgrade" a bit - probably to a used ELC. The G&B seems a bit to low and wide for the arm holes and a bit loose in overall fit.
The Eastman site doesn't give measurements and the measurements for A-2s on eBay are pretty wide in variance - right now an ELC 42 and a 46 have close to the same measurements (as given by the sellers). My G&B is also pretty close to these listed ELCs (which is slightly confusing to this newbie since G&Bs are supposedly cut to fit the "modern man").

My G&B measures out (following the guidelines provided on the ACME site):
pit to pit (front) - 24.5"
pit to pit (rear) - 25"
shldr to shldr - 18.5"
sleeve seam to bttm of knit - 26"
Back bttm of collar to bttm of knit - 26.5"
zipper - 22.5"
zipper flap to bttm of knit - 23.5"

Any help on ELC measurements - your advice, your jacket's measurements for a 42, 44, 46, etc.?

Thanks, Jeff

Roughwear

I usually take a 42 in the modern Eastman jackets. They are approximately 23" pit to pit with sleeves of 25" and shoulders of 19". This is equivalent to a wartime 44. You might find an ELC size 44 more your size, where the pit to pit measurement is usually 24". However there is variation in sizing from contract to contract, which was just the same as with originals.

316thTCG

Hi all,
thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. Right now I'm looking at a ELC Roughwear 1401P size 42, apx. 6 or so years old.

Roughwear 1401P a contract that is more generous than others?

Also does ELC have a serial number associated with their production numbers (i.e. dateable?) - this jacket has anumber 0746.

Apparently I have been bitten by the bug. I really like my G&B - quality of materials and assembly is great, just a little to big.

Thanks again, Jeff

Jaguar46

As you get more into this vintage style jacket world, you will find that Gibson & Barnes is 1 or sometime 2 sizes larger than other makers. I wear a 42 Eastman and a size 38 G&B A2.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
316thTCG said:
... Also does ELC have a serial number associated with their production numbers (i.e. dateable?) - this jacket has anumber 0746.

It is datable, but you probably need to contact ELC for the info.

Marv

deeb7 said:
316thTCG said:
... Also does ELC have a serial number associated with their production numbers (i.e. dateable?) - this jacket has anumber 0746.

It is datable, but you probably need to contact ELC for the info.

I did speak Gary re this with my RW 27752 and he told me that the lot nos listed was the production number from day one of the pattern being manufactured but as for a dateline you will need to contact ELC.

Roughwear

316thTCG said:
Hi all,
thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. Right now I'm looking at a ELC Roughwear 1401P size 42, apx. 6 or so years old.

Roughwear 1401P a contract that is more generous than others?

Also does ELC have a serial number associated with their production numbers (i.e. dateable?) - this jacket has anumber 0746.

Apparently I have been bitten by the bug. I really like my G&B - quality of materials and assembly is great, just a little to big.

Thanks again, Jeff

If it is over six years old it is likely to have been made from the earlier more generous pattern with wider shoulders and chest.