• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman RW 1401P Arrived

Warped

Having not owned any leather jacket since my motorcycling days in the late 1970's to early 1980's, it was only after considerable research that I settled on an ELC RW 1401P Warhorse jacket. Next decision was what size? I wear a 42 Regular suit and sports jacket but the cut can be a bit restrictive if I need to wear anything more than a thin cotton shirt. After reading numerous posts on various sites and forums, I thought it prudent to order a size 44. I sent my measurements to Gary Eastman and he confirmed that a 44 was far more likely to be the better size option.

I received the new jacket on Tuesday, 22 July 2014. Imagine my surprise when the first thing I noticed was the size tag - a 42:

IMG_3627resized.jpg

Further inspection revealed that the pocket label showed a 44!

What to do? I decided to keep it. I had been tracking the progress of the shipment via Parcelforce and was expecting our "friendly" South African customs officials to get themselves into a knot about customs duties and spend a good few weeks deciding about releasing the parcel. I had heard horror stories about goods being held up or interfered with. In addition, I discovered only in the last week that imported clothing attracts a 40% customs duty! This on top of an exchange rate which is punitive, to say the least. I was therefore very pleasantly surprised to find that the parcel was delivered without any duty, only VAT calculated on one-third of the price! On the waybill the contents were described as “1 Leather Jerkin”. I expect the officials could not find a tariff code for a “Jerkin” and released the shipment without question. Quite a relief!

Gary offered to take the jacket back and replace the label but this would risk the duties being imposed. The result is that a replacement label is being sent to me, which I can keep in the unlikely event that I need to sell the jacket. I do not want to risk trying to get one of the local tailors to replace the label as the stitching is a critical part of the authenticity of the repro.

My next post - the jacket.

Warped

The jacket.

It is definitely a size 44, no doubt. If anything a bit large - I think a 42 would have been somewhat better, which most members here will be able to judge from the pictures.

Breaking in is another subject which I thought would be a problem but has been an absolute doddle. There's nothing to it - just wear it!

Now the good part - the hide is stunning. Judge for yourselves from these pictures.

Rutger

Yeah that looks good, vivid colouring, very supple and nice grain too, looks like they got themselves a good batch of leather.
The fit is what an airman would want back in the days (and nowadays as well).

Warped

Thanks for the fit compliments.
I did expected the fit to be much tighter.
Maybe I should do more push-ups to build up the shoulders. :lol:

Of course, it also has the Crown zipper, with the spring-loaded action:

Every time I look at the hide, I see more nuances in the colours.
Some more random pictures.

chamboid

Yeas really good. I think size is spot on, Roughwears Generalky fit a bit big, and have a nice slip on the shoulders.

Hide looks fantastic, real nice colours.

ausreenactor

Nice jacket. Would not be too many ELC products in South Africa by my guesstimations...

Great pics too!! Enjoy!!

Couchy

Jason

Magnificent! You'll enjoy breaking it in. It seems ELC is still using much the same leather as they were a decade ago - which is a very good thing. Mine is getting some lovely character, and the deep burgundy hues it exhibits in sunlight is most attractive.

havocpaul

That vintage 'Warhorse' Italian hide looks amazing, appears they at present only offer it on this contract RW. Looks good on you, will allow for some layering underneath if you wish, and the graining and patina will only get better with wear.....enjoy :)

Tim P

Nice fit and a very welcome departure from the glass smooth leathers of old. I think the fit is spot on. I shouldn't worry about the size label, it's a non issue.

mindful

very nice russet looks great will look really nice when broken in, and the fit looks nice and comftable

Marv

the jacket looks excellent and the vintage horsehide looks fantastic, as mentioned earlier the Rough Wear contract is roomy A2 ( I have the ELC RW27752 from 2011 ) and the fit is much the same which fits you well.

Probably one of the best Eastman Rough Wear 1401-p I've seen, enjoy.

derleicaman

Beautiful jacket and the fit is great on you. Looks much better than the ELC 1401-P I had a few years ago. That one had the characterless smooth horsehide and the torso was shaped like a tube, and it looked like it when worn. This hide looks just great, too. Good to see Eastman has definitely upped their game and we're all better off for it!

blackrat2

That looks a good fit..the leather looks better than what I had several years ago,great colouring and a nice grain

derleicaman

Re-reading my reply, I forgot to add that in general A-2s are a boxy pattern and they should look it when worn. Not tube-like which my ELC 1401-P was. I spoke to John about this at the time before I sold the ELC on and he agreed with me. I think it was a way to make a more generic fitting jacket, and then adding proper profile pocket and collars to make up that contract. Sort of like a Mr. Potato Head philosophy of building something up. John's approach is the exact opposite where he disassembles a contract and replicates all the little detail nuances of that contract. I could never understand this approach by ELC, when Ken went into such detail with his A-2 book. The new leather looks really good to. If I didn't have so many Good Wears, I might be tempted. As I said in my earlier reply, we are all better off when the major players in the repro market (ELC, Good Wear, BK, et al) are all upping their game. :D