• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman monarch review

Tim P

I am happy to report that I recieved from C.J. an Eastman Monarch. I had long been wishing for a monarch without the inner pocket mods and so when this came up in a 44 I took the plunge.
As I take a 44 in just about any Eastman A-2 I was confident that the jacket would fit when it came. It does. It fits in that keenly sought after military fit that is so frequently advocated here with no shoulder droop and no tunneling of the sleeves.
You will see from the pictures in his ad offering the jacket for sale that it is pretty beaten up with heavy scuffs and scratches. That was fine by me but I cant help feeling that the actual leather used contributes in some way to this. It rates highly amongst some of the floppiest, easy to wear leathers I have encountered. Horsehide from eastman, mccoys and especially lost worlds comes up a bit uncomfortable at first. I suspect that this Monarch had been light and supple from the get go. there is not a great deal of heavy graining anywhere but the entire left front panel is nicely grained and natural looking. with this moderate graining, the wear and tear and the distinctly matt finish to the leather it looks like a real vintage jacket. an interesting point about the collar on this jacket is that snapped or unsnapped it lies in the same way. Despite the jacket being beat up the knits show no damage at all which is encouraging. they are of a shade which provides little contrast at all to the jacket. There is nothing exciting about the pockets, they just sit there quietly with moderately rounded corners and a gradual scallop to the flap. Comfort wise and looks wise I am very happy with this jacket. It contrasts sharply with my Seal mccoys dubow.
Cheers CJ
Tim

gomez

Great that you got a good fit. So are you going to put the Pecards to it, or leave it alone?

gomez

I may not be the one to ask but from what I've heard Pecards won't darken it. From the pics it looks a little dry and could use some conditioning at least before it gets wet again.

C.J.

Tim, I'm so glad to hear it fits well. Enjoy it, buddy and wear it in the very best of health.

Tim P

Well there you go. a light all over coat of pecards has really brought out the character of the jacket. all the scratches have been rubbed out and can hardly be seen. the natural edge wear on the collar, pockets and other hems has been subdued just enough to still be a feature but not look so raw. the jacket is marginally less matt than it was (of course) but has not darkened appreciably.
I may get some pics on photobucket to show the difference when I can work out how to upload them as my photobucket is playing up.

jacketimp

Tim P said:
Well there you go. a light all over coat of pecards has really brought out the character of the jacket. all the scratches have been rubbed out and can hardly be seen. the natural edge wear on the collar, pockets and other hems has been subdued just enough to still be a feature but not look so raw. the jacket is marginally less matt than it was (of course) but has not darkened appreciably.
I may get some pics on photobucket to show the difference when I can work out how to upload them as my photobucket is playing up.

that'll be greaat!

T-Bolt

Congratulations on your new (to you) jacket, Tim. Remember that if you want to blend some of the worn spots on pocket corners, flap edges and the like, a jar of Meltonian Boot Creme in the appropriate color will work wonders.

Ted

Tim P

have used tuxan renovating polish in an alarmingly close colour...I quite like a worn look but what I have done takes the scuffed appearence right back.

C.J.

This should help with the comparison

Tim's after treatment
tim1.jpg

Prior to treatment
IMG_1041.jpg

After treatment
tim2.jpg

Prior
IMG_1037.jpg

After
tim3.jpg

Prior
IMG_1039.jpg

I'm not sure the lighting is the same. But, I think it looks a hell of a lot better with the leather treatment. It appears to have restored some of the sheen and given it a nice, overall richness of color.