• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Irvin

Steve H

I've got the chance to pick up an Eastman Irvin in near new condition for Euro450- what do you think? Good deal or not? Its a 44 so good size. Here's the beast in question;

Dr H

The shell/fleece combination isn't my favourite (fleece a bit dark and hide a bit overdone IMHO), but it's better than many around.
€450 sounds OK (does that include shipping?).

robrinay

For what it's worth it looks pretty good to me - a pity you're not UK based as the pound has just risen against the Euro.

CBI

wear the heck out of it an enjoy it!!!!!!

I'm not an Irvin expert but I have seen period photos of what look like very dark Irvins with dark fleece. I suppose all one needs is proof of one maker making them this way to justify a realistic repro.

Frankly, I really like this version. When I think of wearing this TODAY, I think the darker colors are a little more modern day and "work" a little better for wear in 2015.

My older ELC Irvin had that honey, red-ish brown color that I appreciated but never totally got used to.

I love all A-2's but my favorites are the very dark seal depot re-dye versions. I just prefer the darker color as a piece of clothing for general wear knowing full wear it was not the average A-2 color.

If I were to buy a new or used ELC Irvin again, I would strongly consider one like this.

Steve H

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, the fleece and skin seem darker than the honeys out there but I kind of like it now that I think about it. I haven't seen it in the flesh so it may well be the tint of the camera but either way- not bad. John. I see what you mean by the belt loop- I had not thought of that not being an Irvin expert but it does seem further over.

Ian, I'm going to negotiate post so hopefully it will work out.

I'll keep you posted!

MikeyB-17

I wouldn't say no to that. Aero did a run of black Irvins years ago, I'd love one of those, inaccurate or not.

John Lever

Steve H said:
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, the fleece and skin seem darker than the honeys out there but I kind of like it now that I think about it. I haven't seen it in the flesh so it may well be the tint of the camera but either way- not bad. John. I see what you mean by the belt loop- I had not thought of that not being an Irvin expert but it does seem further over.

Ian, I'm going to negotiate post so hopefully it will work out.

I'll keep you posted!
Being brutally honest, the red ones are by far the least desireable. Some of these jackets are selling for more than the original sale price and most of them aren't worth it. Just my opinion.

Smithy

Just be aware Steve that you probably won't get tremendous opportunity to wear it.

Not trying to pee on your parade but I lived 6 years in Melb (left just before Xmas) and apart from the odd night out in the garden having a ciggie in the middle of winter, my ELC was too much for the Victorian climate.

If you spend a lot of time over winter up in the Victorian Alps or have a convertible that you drive like a maniac then you might get more use out of it ;)

Either way just wanted to give you a heads up if you hadn't had previous experience of how warm these things are.

Steve H

I dunno Smithy- I've worn the ELC B-3 commuting for the past fortnight with no overheating problems! Its been below 10 most mornings when I leave... I reckon the Irvin will be fine. Besides- its as much for airshow and aircrew impressions as daily wear.

Or maybe I just feel the cold a lot more these days????

Smithy

Steve H said:
I dunno Smithy- I've worn the ELC B-3 commuting for the past fortnight with no overheating problems! Its been below 10 most mornings when I leave... I reckon the Irvin will be fine. Besides- its as much for airshow and aircrew impressions as daily wear.

Or maybe I just feel the cold a lot more these days????

You're a colder man than I am then! But then again I am a native Kiwi and I live in Norway so my warmth threshold will be a lot less than yours ;)

If you're using it for RAF aircrew impressions then it's a must have obviously.

It looks good and the price looks to be reasonable for the condition.

All the best with it!

Tim

Jason

What a lovely Irvin, Grant. Rich, warm colours, amazing texture. A piece of living art!

10 degrees is definitely too warm for me to wear an Irvin; it has to be at least freezing for mine to come out. Otherwise a G-1, A-2 or is the go.