• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman G-1

Marv

ELC based their G1 on the LW Foster Sportswear 55J14 of that period and as you can see from the photo of my 10 year plus ELC G1, it looks slightly different to Grant's current version.

Most notably the pocket flaps which Eastman changed about a year or so ago and also the mouton currently used is far the best so far.

gav

IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1077.JPG
I got the civilian horsehide version at the pop up shop.

colekwok

Yeah, it sure looks great - I saw one some time ago which is what prompted my interest in the ELC G-1 in the first place. Must say I was a bit worried about colekwok's comment about single layered knits and I recall the one I saw having knits, especially the waistband, that were pretty thin. Has that been an issue so far for you and as you beat the shit out of it, do you think it might be?

Just a close up of the sleeves of the ELC G-1 and an early BK Dubow A-2.

View media item 56
Not a significant difference, but like Rowan said, the waistband is relatively thin. And by the way, the BK knits are probably one of the most durable among my collection, and ELC ones on their A-2s seem to be the on the other side of the spectrum. But unless you really abuse them , they will still last for quite a while, the wool knits' biggest enemy is going to be the moths......

Marv

The knits & waistband are correct for the 55J14 as this contract and many others was still utilising the single ply rib-rack waistband hungover from the WW2 M422a specs.

It was only in the later part of the 1960's when the two ply waistband came into effect on all G1s and can be seen on Gav's HH civie G1 in the above post.

Like mentioned in a earlier post, my G1 is ten years plus and the knits both cuffs & waistband, are still good with plenty of elasticity left so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Marv

thanks Andrew, I didn't know that, I know that the ANJ3A & AN6552 utilised the two ply waistband but didn't know of any M422A contracts that did.

Last edited: