• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Dubow?

stanier

As I search for my ideal Dubow, it occurred to me, why don't Eastman make a Crown zippered Dubow? There's not many repro makers that could reasonably do this as far as I can tell.

I wonder if it's on their radar?

Cheers

CBI

It may date back to when there was more competition with Lost Words. LW's signature A-2 was a Dubow and they sold many.

stanier

I am contacting them and we'll see. If they can get the knits and label (and I have no doubt they can) I'm sure they could do a fine Dubow repro.

Everyone does Roughwear and Talons (yawn!) sorry!

Dubow, Warhorse, Crown zip, purply knits, dark seal; I'm sold!

Roughwear

I'm sure they could do a fine Dubow repro if they think the expense involved in launching a new model A2 makes good economic sense. I'm guess there would be a demand for them.

bseal

Never say never, but, never.

There, I threw down the gauntlet. Let's see if the ripples of the pebble dropped in the pond alter the course of history... :rolleyes:

2BM2K

Another possible reason for not making a Dubow is that the Dubow uses RAU snaps. As far as I know RAU snaps, repro or NOS, are not available.

I agree that Eastman could make more use of Crown zippers, for example by offering a Crown zipper option for the Star Sportswear. This contract does use Crown zippers.

Roughwear

Gary uses what are marked ELC snaps on most of his repro A2s so the snap reason does not really hold water. The unavailability of Rau snaps has not stopped other makers in reproducing the Dubow.

As far as using Crown zippers on the Star A2, the Talon M-41 and M-42 were the most commonly used zips on originals. I do have doubts about the durability of Crown zips, repros or originals and the repro Talon they use is a better option long term.

stanier

I agree, snaps can't be the reason and a Crown on a Star doesn't feel right to me. On the subject of the Star though I got an ELC Star back in October last year and the warhorse leather on that is stunning; very, very grainy and it would make a superb Dubow, imho.

Dubow really seems like a hole in the ELC line up. If you want purple or even red contrasting knits and a Crown there's the .50 cal A-2 but I like original maker labels, and don't want time worn. If you want original maker Crown there's the Roughwear 1401 but the warhorse is quite light / russet and the Roughwear collar is not really for me. And the Dubow collar shape is quite different to many other of the contractors. So whatever would be a compromise and at these prices why compromise?

I confess I know little of what would be involved in launching a new A-2,. In my simple mind, it's a pattern, some labels, the knits and a web page with us jacket folk posting about it. I have no doubt there's probably more to it than I know, but clearly I'm encouraging Gary and his team!

I see there's been some ongoing concern about Crown zips. However my own experience , I've had an Eastman D-1 which I got from their stand at Flying Legends in I think 2007 that's been worn a lot through the winters since. It's fitted with Crowns and all three, after starting out a little tight, are silky smooth and work perfectly. I've also got an Eastman Roughwear B-3 with Crown but I've rarely worn it and it's quite a bit too big now so I can't really use that example though it feels very sturdy.

Cheers all

colekwok

Was it because in the old days (like 10/15yrs ago) everybody had their own little niche of 'repro brands' that they did so that they offered something different? Lostworld used to be the only maker offering the Dubow contract. And I have the impression that ALC/ELC/the Japanese brands tried not to overlap with each other (except for Roughwears....)? Then came Goodwear, which obvious makes a far more accurate repro. And then BK also came into the mix a few years ago with Dubow as their first original A-2? Correct me if I am wrong. I am sure it would not be a problem for ELC to make an excellent Dubow at all, or they simply try to avoid the competitions?

Roughwear

Certainly with the weak pound and duty on importing from the USA, it would make sense for ELC to offer a Dubow and I'm sure it would be a popular jacket. I'll ask Gary about it at Legends later in the year.

bseal

Everybody knows (No) Los(s for)Words makes the very best and most accurate one in the known and not so unknown universe... dark matter is real!

Seems senseless for another manufacturer to invest in what would likely amount to a Pyrrhic victory.