• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Style Land MFG Test Pilot jacket

oose

Hi all,
My second pick up this week and probably my last for a while. This is a Land MFG test pilot jacket of the type worn by F-104 Starfighter, General Electric Test Pilot John M. Fritz in 1960. This jacket is similar to the one produced by Fruhauf but has the raglan sleeves common to all the Land mfg jackets and lacks the oxygen clip tab found on the Fruhauf. I post better photo when it arrives.

All he best
stu

Peter Graham

Wow, that's a stunner. Never seen one before. You don't really want that Stu, do you ? Pass it this way, go on. :)

oose

Peter Graham said:
Wow, that's a stunner. Never seen one before. You don't really want that Stu, do you ? Pass it this way, go on. :)
Not till I've touched it! I've sent you a PM.

Jack Zimmerman Hughes Helicopters Test Pilot of the YOH-6A helicopter in 1966 seems to be wearing one to not no oxygen tab and I think t has raglan sleeves but the photo is not the best.

All the best
stu

watchmanjimg

Stu, that's a fantastic jacket like many you've run across lately. I'd also direct attention to the Army aviation officer in the L-2B with full-color tapes at left in the bottom pic.

oose

Thanks Jim,
for you vote of confidence, I'm still looking for a Fruhauf like you have, I'm sure one will come my way eventually, I believe that this may be a bit scarcer jacket it bears many similarities to the Fruhauf and may be the first style of flight jacket that Land MFG produced, would love to know if there was any link between Land and Fruhauf. I'm still collecting images and doing research and would like to produce some sort of small publication on the different civilian flight jackets and suits.

All the best
Stu

oose

Hi all,
Here is General Electric Test Pilot John M. Fritz, this time in 1967, while testing the B-52E/TF39. Still the same jacket but he now has it patched up with his name and GE patch.
The first successful flight test of the TF39 engine in the B-52E test bed did not occur
until June 29, 1967, several months behind schedule. However, the impressive flight lasted
an hour and 45 minutes, producing thrust levels equal to two J57 engines at takeoff power,
as the powerplant performed at 5,000 foot intervals up to an altitude of 35,000 feet.
Numerous other flight tests conducted throughout the rest of 1967 yielded equally
encouraging results. During a six-hour flight in late September, for instance, the engine
functioned perfectly at 30,000 and 40,000 feet, attaining speeds from Mach 0.43 to 0.89.
During another flight, the engine maintained 100 percent of its expected fan speed at 50,000

All the best
Stu

bebel

I didn't know this jacket. Only the Fruhauf was knowledged by me. Good catch, Stu!

Franck

oose

Hi Franck,
I had suspected for while that this type was not a Fruhauf Jacket as it had certain things not found on them like raglan sleeves, no oxygen tab as well as half circle Conmar zips instead of the full circle used on all Fruhauf flight suits and jackets I have photo's of. But I two was surprised a little to see it was made Land Mfg. Co.

Fruhauf zip

Land zip

All the best
Stu

oose

Hi all,
Jacket has arrived, a few quick photo for you. I'm really happy with it, the name in pen is Altman, nothing on him as yet. :)

ll the best
Stu

Rutger

Am I right in assuming that this is actually a cloth jacket? It appears to have no shine over it.
Is the material mentioned in some tag?

oose

Hi Rutger,
Yes it is cloth, cotton, made from the same material as the K-2 flight suits. I put it in Nylon section because the people that like the nylon era are generally interested in this one too.

All the best
Stu

bn1966

Hi Guys,

Great jacket Stu

I've just scored what appears to be an Italian Air-Force Starfighter Pilot L2B. Will take some photos soon. Have had trouble posting pics here in the past, so if it happens again I'll put them on the Fedora Lounge. My L2B shell is a cotton (80%)/nylon (20%) mix. Has patches on both sleeve shoulders, Italian air-force (leather) on one. Cloth Starfighter on the other.

Lee