• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

early AAF mark - USAAF Air Chief of Staff Patch

atkins

Made this patch for Marcel, i actually thought it will be an easy patch to make, but the star is not easy to replicate, i end up wasted a big circle of leather due to mistakes.

Here's the original Marcel send me:
4799492837_76afe8c6fe.jpg

Here's the first attemp:
4775331788_74d1bcf8fb.jpg

Could you see the pencil lines there?
Here's the final result- different patch than above:
4802820095_26cee731a1.jpg

I need to try enamel paints , this acrylic paints is too shiny especially under flash photography, it's okay under natural light though. Thank you CBI for reminding me of authenticity of enamel paints.

Best,
Oscar

A

Anonymous

SHOT IT WITH KRYLON MATT FINISH, DRIES FAST, THEN TAKE YOUR FAVORITE AGING SAUCE AND SMEAR IT IN THE CRACKS AND WIPE CLEAN, SHOULD HELP THAT SHINE.

dujardin

chitchat said:
SHOT IT WITH KRYLON MATT FINISH, DRIES FAST, THEN TAKE YOUR FAVORITE AGING SAUCE AND SMEAR IT IN THE CRACKS AND WIPE CLEAN, SHOULD HELP THAT SHINE.

yessssssss
hello youuuuuuuuuu

you may try this way Oscar, result could (must) be greatttttttt

thankssssss

marcel

atkins

chitchat said:

Thank you CC! will try this too.My nearest Ace Hardware might need a visit then!

A

Anonymous

YOU MIGHT HAVE TO TRY AN ART SUPPLY, ALSO TO NOT OVER SPRAY. ONE INITIAL COAT, SPECIAL SAUCE, MAYBE A LITTLE WRINKLING IF YOU LIKE, THEN A TOP COAT.

atkins

bOILING wATER AND hOT iRON result

:lol:
After Marcel gave me green light to distress the patch ,i experimented on the finished,I can't stop laughing after this mistake:
4857222404_3480fe930d.jpg

The first patch has turned to crackers ( might try to deep fried it later) :eek: , the second patch shrunk and lost it's circle shape but develop interesting grain.

And this is the final and succesful ( i think :) ) attempt , i hope i haven't overdone it.
4857226642_61ed30340e.jpg

It's enamel paint, i actually doubt the paint will adhere to the leather, but it turns out it's better than my acrylic paints, you are right CBI, it does absorbed by the leather nicely.

dujardin

hellooooooooooo Atkins,

now that i see the photo, i'm also :lol: :lol: :lol:

the result of your effort is brilliant

really happy.

thanksssssssss

marcel

maybe you can try the bllod chit with boiling water hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :lol: :lol: :lol:
nooooooooo don't, just distress a little

byeeeeeee

marcel

i send you a mail in a moment

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hey Atkins, did you try the "flat" version of the acrylic paints, they may work different for what you're trying to do, and they can be oversprayed with a gloss acrylic spray can.
Emblemhunter

atkins

Nope, not yet on leather anyway , you know, enjoying the enamel fumes a bit... :lol: What i have is an extra doff agent that i had successfully added to my shiny acrylic paints and applied to a baked polymer clay. Looks good, and dries rapidly.

atkins

Check6 , i still kick myself for that d'ohh, might try to give it a pale yellow wash tonight. Thanks.

Silver Dollar

CHECK6 said:
if you want the white colour looking aged,don't use white but use ivory
FAB

If you can find it, Windsor Newton makes an antique white color called Unbleached Titanium. It's good quality and looks just like the ivory. I wouldn't add yellow to snow white. I'd add some tan or a non red brown (careful with the brown, a little goes a long way). I've used that with very good results.