• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Earliest L-2B [7448A - year of production] ?

Geeboo

I am a bit concerned about the patch I added on this 7448A
L2b.jpg
. The patch seller [ military shop owner] said it is ok - timewise. The patch stated 52 53 . Which might be a borderline or too early ?

Attachments

• L2B_4.jpg
    L2B_4.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 366
  • L2B  C=48, L=23, Sh=20, Sl=24.jpg
    L2B C=48, L=23, Sh=20, Sl=24.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 559
  • L2B_1.jpg
    L2B_1.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 417
  • L2B_5.jpg
    L2B_5.jpg
    628.1 KB · Views: 330
  • L2B_zipper2.jpg
    L2B_zipper2.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 376
  • L2B_8.jpg
    L2B_8.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 351
  • L2B_3.jpg
    L2B_3.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 405

Tommy

Not really, L-2Bs started being issued around 52. Personally I wouldn't of patched an orginal unless there was a patch that had been removed or a mark to cover. But it looks good!

Geeboo

Tks. I read somewhere in this forum the 1st batch is by Blue Anchor - 1955; Tommy, any evidence U can put forth to support the earliest L-2B is around 1952 ?

Tommy

Will try to find where I know that from, but it was due to the blue being to easy to spot when pilot was shot down and trying to escape during the Korean War

Geeboo

tom, Pursuant to your last message, I found this:

" The USAF L-2B Flight Jacket was developed as a direct replacement for the blue L-2A Flight Jacket. L-2A Flight Jackets were produced in blue circa 1950 as part of an effort by the then-new USAF service branch to stand apart from the old USAAF and its association with the U. S. Army. Intended for wear in climates between 42 degrees and 65 degrees Fahrenheit, thus ideally suited for spring, summer and fall. This blue color proved unsatisfactory in combat conditions during the Korean War, where a downed airman needed a combat uniform color that would help conceal him from any nearby enemies and the new USAF blue, unfortunately, only made downed aviators better targets and more easily found. The result of this combat experience in the first two years of the Korean War resulted in the development of a new color that did better conceal downed airmen and, by mid-1952, the first of the combat flying clothing began to appear in this new color known as sage green. "

http://sharpeye.london/product/original-usaf-l2b-jacket-sage-1-in-ten

More info/ evidences welcomed.