• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dye leaching G-1

galvestonokie

hi all:

i have a funky smelling vintage G-1 that happens to be my favorite. i have tried a number of things to reduce odor, and am making progress. now have read ideas in this thread (when all else fails, read the instructions). first i was amazed at the amount of dirt the knits gave up. i washed the lining a few times and have made progess. in doing so, i basically got the entire jacket wet.

so, decided to submerge the entire jacket and give it a good scrubbing. i did the this but noticed quite a bit of uniformly brown runoff from the jacket. i assume this was brown dye.

jacket is Ralph Edwards 7823B, and the brown color is still plenty seal brown. the jacket is drying slowly now as to not shrink it. if funk remains, i may try baking soda, white vinegar or...?

the jacket lining appears not to be original but more like a USMC paraloft replacement. the lining is a very strong poly/synthetic material and the lable has been sewn back to the new lining.

i've even thought about sending the jacket into BK or others for re-lining as this jacket fits me quite well.

thoughts?

bob

CBI

don't worry about the dye bleeding - it will dry and be fine. Lots of odor removal ideas out there. Dry outside, keep outside for a few days. Pet odor remover for carpets/furniture, etc like "Kids and Pets" works pretty well.

galvestonokie

Thanks to forum members for the collective wisdom. since it is till very hot where i am, i've been carrying the jacket around with me, leaving it in the sun in my car during the day. after 2 days, there is a huge difference.