• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Duxford Airshow 11th 12th July. Now there's a good Idea!

johnwayne

Really disappointed I couldnt join you guys - it's the first I've missed for quite few years and particularly gutted I missed the Horsemen and the FW190, which I've wanted to see for a long time! Oh well I'll just have to buy the DVD - cheaper than a jacket from Gary that I poss would have purchased - still keen on an A1!!

Wayne

Roughwear

johnwayne said:
Really disappointed I couldnt join you guys - it's the first I've missed for quite few years and particularly gutted I missed the Horsemen and the FW190, which I've wanted to see for a long time! Oh well I'll just have to buy the DVD - cheaper than a jacket from Gary that I poss would have purchased - still keen on an A1!!

Wayne

It's shame you couldn't come, Wayne. You're right about the DVD though. The ELC shop was doing a roaring trade. I bought a size 42 Cable made from a new batch of goatskin, which is the closest ELC have got to original goat. I will write a review of the jacket and post some pics shortly.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew although I never said I too wanted to make the airshow ,things here going on prevented me from attending then to find out my Green card had expired 2 months ago .I would have dearly loved to meet up with you guys see the displays and the flying .Viewng the Eastwood line (bevan to correct my spelling re his ocd ) would of been great .Seeing on a monitor lacks the feel touch and try ons of actually being there and of course there would of been a lot of jackets in one place .Glad you guys had a good time and the flying was better than ever it seems .That combined with a few beers you must of thought you died and went to heaven :lol: ..Andrew did you guys spot any killer jackets wandering about on anyone ,and did Eastman unveil anything new to get a response or reaction from customers ?. Maybe next year .

All the best Jeff

Its a clear night tonight they could be over !

Roughwear

DUBOWA2 said:
Hi Andrew although I never said I too wanted to make the airshow ,things here going on prevented me from attending then to find out my Green card had expired 2 months ago .I would have dearly loved to meet up with you guys see the displays and the flying .Viewng the Eastwood line (bevan to correct my spelling re his ocd ) would of been great .Seeing on a monitor lacks the feel touch and try ons of actually being there and of course there would of been a lot of jackets in one place .Glad you guys had a good time and the flying was better than ever it seems .That combined with a few beers you must of thought you died and went to heaven :lol: ..Andrew did you guys spot any killer jackets wandering about on anyone ,and did Eastman unveil anything new to get a response or reaction from customers ?. Maybe next year .

All the best Jeff

Its a clear night tonight they could be over !

There were quite a few A2s being worn, but most were repros and I didn't notice any original painted jackets unlike last year. Others may have spotted some though.

art of a2

Yep.. The airshow was brilliant. Early rainfall made way for a decent day and show.It wasn't too warm and good for showing off jackets. There were about six VLJers attending which has doubled the count from last year. I took this years airshow to unveil my latest project for 'better duck'. It is my rendition of the Gil Elvgren's 'Needing a lift' onto an Eastman horsehide star.
I took these pictures before the event. 'Better duck' aka Peter seemed pleased with the finished project which is shown here. Further more detailed pictures are posted in the 'links' section under 'jacket art :a-2-art,UK'

a4.jpg

havocpaul

I couldn't make the meet at 12.30 as we were too busy selling books! Dropped by ealier to see Gary and also chatted to the German guy on the Pike Brothers stand; they are upgrading their B-10's in the Autumn, correct right-sided Talon zippers being one significant change. Also they will be doing a B-15A and A-2 in the next few months. Their range of denim gear was impressive and the B-10 looks much better 'in the flesh' than their website/ebay pics. Next to our stall was a couple selling her brother's large collection of vintage Ma-1's, rather pricey but some rare makers and reminded me to search for a decent early original as a winter wearer.

wop54

It has been my first Flying Legends and really enjoyed the show itself and meeting the some of the "famous" VLJ guys in person! There we go with a small part of the hundreds of pics that I have taken...
First of all the complete VLJ Crew (with Tim P.), then a few Legends
CSC_0526.jpg

CSC_0501.jpg

CSC_0485.jpg

CSC_0490.jpg

CSC_0492.jpg

CSC_0509.jpg

CSC_0519.jpg

CSC_0487.jpg

CSC_0518.jpg

CSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0442.jpg

and more Legends:
IMG_04551.jpg

pilot and co-pilot....the elder (yes, right...the one on your right :? ) is from Norfolk where as you know the 44th was based, and told me that he met personally a few flying boys and that its patch is an original..
CSC_0504.jpg

better duck

art of a2 said:
'Better duck' aka Peter seemed pleased with the finished project which is shown here.

Well, here's Better Duck himself, and I can honestly say, I not only seemed pleased with the finished product, but I am really happy with it. It came out just the way I wanted, with a real "40-ies" atmosphere, and the blue dress contrasting nicely with the seal of the jacket (the original Elvren girl wore a beige dress). One of the American re-enactor girls I met (a really nice bunch of people, hope to see more of them next year) commented that she loved the artwork and that it was "the liveliest she had seen so far".
Funny thing was, that a lot of people were taking photographs of us, when we were together at ELC´s. I´ll post some more pictures of the jacket in the original thread on this (long running) project.
So also through this medium: Robin thanks!

asiamiles

better duck said:
Funny thing was, that a lot of people were taking photographs of us, when we were together at ELC´s.
Didja hear any of them commentating that, "those vets look pretty good for their age!"
:lol: :twisted:

Tim P

your words have the ring of truth.
I had a great time there both days, Saturday was great because what started out last year as a bit of a meet and greet turned into quite a prolonged social where the topic strayed from jackets quite frequently (always drifting back)
i neeeearly sprung for a Cable, even approaching the counter with it at one point, but opted instead for a second hand star which no longer fits the original owner. Many thanks for doing all the donkey work getting that baby broken in and patina'd. I remain a firm fan of the star and would like to see it replicated in a lighter brown too as per my mate's original which occupies the twighlight zone between seal and russet.
I have to agree with Roughwear that the colour and pebbly-ness of the cable is now a very enviable look mind you...And I know to order a 46. ;)
Thanks to all for a pleasant afternoon.
Tim.

wop54

Funny thing was, that a lot of people were taking photographs of us, when we were together at ELC´s.[/quote]
I'm not surprised....
Thats how people see us when we wear our A2s!!
001-26.jpg

shiloh

tus1.jpg
[/quote]

Andrew,

You are wearing a very beautiful jacket on this photo's. I certainly do like the fit and especially the russet colour if this one. Is it a repro or an original one. Seems like an original to me. What brand and size is it.

Regards,

Shiloh

Roughwear

Thanks. It's an original size 42 David D Doniger, having its first outing to Duxford. ;)

Here's a close up of the label kindly taken by Carlo.

CSC_0515.jpg