• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DuPont 6-6 flight satin

Who

In repo MA1's is this nylon material still used? Interested in what nylon teh Buzz repos use and if any of the current repos actually use flight satin any more or just a comparable nylon of a similar but thinner denier. I have a pretty ordinary new Alpha that seems to use a thinner nylon than the older ones from 20 years ago.

Rutger

Isn't flight satin a fancy name only used in civilian jackets to support the image? I've never seen it being referred to in the government issued nylon flight jackets, but I'd assume the early civvy makes to be the exact same nylon as the GI ones.
The BR I have has a different touch about it than my mid-seventies GI Alpha MA-1, the Alpha is suppler (not much but just a tad).

Willy McCoy

Not sure what 6/6 signifies. Probably flimsy "flight satin". The MIL SPEC nylon twill was 1/3 and then heavier 2/2 for the L-2b and MA-1 series. I wonder where McCoy's and Ricksons get their nylon from?

Who

Thanks guys. Anyone here know about the specs of the nylon used in the vintage jackets? I know little about this but I do know that good nylon is a great fabric.

From Wikipedia:

Nylon 6-6 is frequently used when high mechanical strength, great rigidity, and good stability under heat is required [2] It is used for ball bearing cages, electro-insulating elements, pipes, profiles and various machine parts. Other popular applications are: carpet fibres, apparel, airbags, tires, zip ties, ropes, conveyor belts, hoses and the outer layer of turnout blanket

I read on a polymer plastic information site that nylon 6-6 was invented by Wallace Carothers from DuPont in the late 1930's. Still don't know what a jacket nylon denier should be.