• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dubow mfg

Juanito

Just a quick note to let everyone know I have the jacket in hand. I have been away on vacation and it needed a signature for pick up.

Considering that I ordered it 7/24, it was shipped 8/7 and the first attempted delivery was 8/13, I would say the turn time is more than acceptable.

I will post a full review with photos in the "Reproductions" section, but what I will say is that these jackets are an absolute steal and I will be ordering another in seal.

Greg Gale

Platon sent me the measurements, and unfortunately none of these would fit. The 40 is perfect, except that it's at least 1 inch too short in the body and sleeves:

Size 40:
Armpit to armpit: 21 1/2
Shoulders span: 17 1/2
Back length: 24 1/4
Sleeve length: 25 1/4

Size 42:
Armpit to armpit: 22½,
Shoulders span: 18,
Back length: 24½,
Sleeve length: 25½

Looking forward to your review, Juanito!

Smithy

Platon sent me the measurements, and unfortunately none of these would fit. The 40 is perfect, except that it's at least 1 inch too short in the body and sleeves:

Size 40:
Armpit to armpit: 21 1/2
Shoulders span: 17 1/2
Back length: 24 1/4
Sleeve length: 25 1/4

Size 42:
Armpit to armpit: 22½,
Shoulders span: 18,
Back length: 24½,
Sleeve length: 25½

Looking forward to your review, Juanito!

It's the same thing for me too Greg. The patterns appear to be too short in the sleeves and body for us tall, lean guys.

Technonut2112

Just a quick note to let everyone know I have the jacket in hand. I have been away on vacation and it needed a signature for pick up.

Considering that I ordered it 7/24, it was shipped 8/7 and the first attempted delivery was 8/13, I would say the turn time is more than acceptable.

I will post a full review with photos in the "Reproductions" section, but what I will say is that these jackets are an absolute steal and I will be ordering another in seal.

VERY cool! I can't wait to see pics. You were lucky to get in on a russet. I will have one in seal to show next month. :)

zoomer

It's the same thing for me too Greg. The patterns appear to be too short in the sleeves and body for us tall, lean guys.
It could be the case that the factory offers better pricing on whatever is considered a standard range of sizes in their part of the world. Sizes outside that might cost extra to make - maybe a lot extra unless you ordered more than you could sell.

Technonut2112

It could be the case that the factory offers better pricing on whatever is considered a standard range of sizes in their part of the world. Sizes outside that might cost extra to make - maybe a lot extra unless you ordered more than you could sell.

Really not a 'factory' from what Platon states. Appears to be a one-man-show on the manufacturing end.

You see, we are a boutique with only one master craftsman making the jackets and with our rock bottom prices demand can be high causing bottlenecks in the production. Furthermore, delays can be caused due to third party involvement (e.g. suppliers) upon which we have no control.

Smithy

Platon is obviously looking to keep the prices down for now and one of the best ways to do that is not offer too much variety.

Greg Gale

He also said that the russet hide ran out of stock. It will be available in November/December. If somebody orders a seal now it can be shipped in September/ October. These are really beautiful jackets, but looks like Platon's target audience is not the slim fellas. :(

Greg Gale

Short slim, not tall slim.

It doesn't really matter. It's all about the height/ chest size ratio. If you are taller than what the average is for your chest size, jackets will be short in the body and sleeves. Platon's jackets have relatively short sleeves and bodies, meaning they are probably aimed for an audience who have larger chest sizes relative to their height. Or it's just how Dubows are, lucky for them :D

Last edited:

Technonut2112

Does anyone know the measurements of a size 48??

Zoomer posted them a couple of pages back:

Size 48
pit to pit 25.5
shoulders 19.5
back 25.25
sleeve 26.25

EDIT: I'll put all of these here for folks:

size 40
pit to pit 21.5
shoulders 17.5
back 24.25
sleeve 25.25

size 42
pit to pit 22.5
shoulders 18
back 24.5
sleeve 25.5

size 44
pit to pit: 23.5
shoulders: 18.5
back: 24.75
sleeve: 25.75

Size 46
pit to pit 24.5
shoulders 19
back 25
sleeve 26

Size 48
pit to pit 25.5
shoulders 19.5
back 25.25
sleeve 26.25

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

Nobody can deny the quality of the jacket, and ethically, the Greeks need business far more than many other nations, China and Pakistan for example, I can't see the price holding however. it's not possible

zoomer

It's an introductory offer. If you take a chance on a new, unproven offering, maybe you ought to get a break in price.

What's too bad is the reality that no one wants to stay in the midmarket sector for long. We don't know how well a $500odd A-2 would sell because every maker or merchandiser who knows an A-2 from a horse's ass ends up chasing the $1,000-and-up market and leaving the rest for USCockWingsUSA.

Back to measurements. I bitch a lot about waist width, but that was never a standard measure (and I can - grudgingly - understand not wanting to give away the proportions of a pattern). I would, however, like to know why the zip flap (ie, front length) is no longer routinely given. It's very useful in knowing how well a jacket will fit in front. Especially if the back length is shorter than usual, as with these Dubows. Are some sizes of zipper too hard to get now? or something?

Last edited:

Whatsit

From what I’ve read on this forum that Platon posted on here before he left this forum he sure seems like a man that knows what he’s talking about. So to me in my humble opinion (I’ve been known for being wrong many times by the way) if Platon planned on selling these in the future for a higher price he’d of just started off selling for that price. But again, this is just my opinion. If he turned around on the first of the year say, and sold these jackets now for $1000+ why would anyone buy from him when there’s too many top range Jacket makers with great representations out there? From a business point of view by raising the price you’d be committing business suicide wouldn’t you? Again I’m just speaking for myself, but if I had $1000+ to spend on a new jacket tomorrow I’d go straight to Aero, Good Wear or Eastman (not in any particular order) who knows!

zoomer

There just seems to be a rule that price is not what you compete on.

I got the feeling that at this price point he really didn't want to reveal non-standard measurements, maybe to protect his pattern. His excuse was that there are no jackets in stock. So I passed.

Whatsit

Like I said before it’s just my opinion. I’m new to this so my opinion is about the same as asking a tree. If people like Ken are saying he can’t keep it up then I guess I have to agree with them as they know the industry. I just think if I were starting out I’d figure out what the price I want and stick with it unless I knew without a reasonable doubt that there was no other competition. Which we no isn’t the case.